What is wrong with East Tennessee?

Okatoba

I don't live there and haven't hunted there except a bear/hog hunt at Tellico last year but just a general feeling from what I read on here and what I saw in the woods last year, why is East Tn. so far behind the rest of the State in deer numbers? I know that Middle and West can support more deer per sq. mile but is it that much worse? Deer were never totally eradicated from there,and remained in pockets on the plateau and mtns. and a lot of stocking when on there in the restoration years. The stocking has been over for..what.. 20 years now? It's like the east is stuck in the 1970's deer number wise. On that bear hunt I was in the woods all day for 4 days in all kinda of places from clear cuts to big wood to laurel and rhododendron thickets on the creeks and never saw one deer track,horn rub or pile of poop,not 1. Every November I see trucks with Blount,Sevier, Louden Hawkins and other east side tags heading west through Wilson Co. Is it really as bad as it seems?

bcartervol98

Personally I think the deer have more places to get away from humans here and utilize the rugged terrain better than we can. I am from West Tennessee and always hunted the river bottoms on edges and fields. I could see 600-800 yards in many directions. There is more agriculture there so more inadvertent food plots. Here especially on public land all you have is the woods and they are thick. I hung up my gun for the season to small game hunt days off with my son the rest of season but in the spots I hunt I was lucky to have a 50 yard view and even at that not good shooting lanes.

bigtex

IMO the main reason is a lack of agriculture.
We do have pockets of ag in E Tn and where we do deer numbers are better.
Where I live there is no agriculture and deer rely solely on mast and browse. Last year and the year before we had virtually no mast. No mast = lower fawn recruitment.
This year we have hard mast aplenty.

archer19

Yes, your observations are correct. It is that bad.

I hunt in historically one of the 5 lowest kill counties in the state.
Sometimes you can go a week or more and never see a deer.
Tough hunting is an understatement.

bcartervol98

I logged over 80 hours on 11 hunts during gun season and the only deer of any type I saw was hit by the truck in front of me in Scott County. Back on the Miss River I can probably count on one hand how many deerless days I had. They might be does, or 600 yards away but I saw deer. Crazy to go almost an entire season in spots LOADED with signs and not see a deer 1.

catman529

bcartervol98":3im57tbg said:
Personally I think the deer have more places to get away from humans here and utilize the rugged terrain better than we can. I am from West Tennessee and always hunted the river bottoms on edges and fields. I could see 600-800 yards in many directions. There is more agriculture there so more inadvertent food plots. Here especially on public land all you have is the woods and they are thick. I hung up my gun for the season to small game hunt days off with my son the rest of season but in the spots I hunt I was lucky to have a 50 yard view and even at that not good shooting lanes.
it's not the thickets, I hunt tons if thick stuff here in mid tn and there are plenty of deer.

I don't like it when east tn trucks swarm the public land here and then I start finding carcasses with the heads cut off and no or little meat taken.

Sent from the talk of tap

bcartervol98

catman529":3dngtcgg said:
bcartervol98":3dngtcgg said:
it's not the thickets, I hunt tons if thick stuff here in mid tn and there are plenty of deer.

I don't like it when east tn trucks swarm the public land here and then I start finding carcasses with the heads cut off and no or little meat taken.

Sent from the talk of tap

Yea I couldnt agree more. Poachers and those that willfully violate game laws do not understand how hard they make it on the rest of us. I think I am on a lease for next year that is supposed to be pretty good so I am hopeful about next season. As far as the rest of this season the squirrels are in trouble.

TboneD

I have no idea what's wrong with East TN, but like Catman said, we got all the thickets you can shake a stick at here in middle TN. Where I've been hunting here in Wilson County a whole group of East Tn boys came and hunted Cedar Forest, and there's like zilch in agricultural land and you can't see more than 50 yards in a lot of spots I hunt. What gives? Me and my son have gone days without seeing a deer from a stand, too, and the only reason I hunt here is that it's less than half an hour drive. My son and I have both each found dead 8 pointers last couple of weeks, and I remember the guy from E TN telling me that his buddy had missed three, including an eight. Makes me wonder if he missed.....

shoningram

There are deer here in east TN. They are just hard to come by. Lots of places that people are unwilling to go. The population is greater around the lakes as well. Its taken me three years to bag a deer here. But they are there. Plus the WMA and TVA properties are smaller here, thus getting more pressure and pushing the deer out. Its a waiting game. I figure that in the coming years it will continue to improve.

rukiddin

Lack of cutovers and early successional habitat and browse. Lack of agriculture. I'm not talking 10, 20 or 30 acre cutovers. I'm talking big cutovers. Find those in east tn and you will find deer.

smalljawbasser

Can white tails adapt and live in mature forests? Yes. Is that the habitat best suited to host high population densities? No.

What is the whitetail carrying capacity of CNF, something like 15/sqmi?

It's all about habitat.

Jmed

I know a lot of E.TN giants don't get their picture posted up here. I don't think there is anything wrong with E.TN. I am 2 counties over from NC and I know of lots of pope and youngster taken this year alone. It will never have the numbers that the west has but I think some areas in the East hold just as many mature deer

Treestand Troubadour

Poser":17wzi9iz said:
Treestand Troubadour":17wzi9iz said:
I love how the rest of the state looks down on east Tennessee. Guess we will have to judge the rest of Tennessee on how ppl in downtown Nashville act

We'll try to do a better job of not judging ya'll because your lack of teeth or extra toes :D
ouch sucker punch

Ladys man

East side has its Giants to just harder to get to/find and lack of them because of lack of crops, but there's deer here just have to do your homework, unlike mid/west side boys do find a field and wait lol

cecil30-30

I hunt In morgan and scott co and don't ever have any problems seeing deer. Last year I killed 9 deer. All legal split between the two counties listed above. I've killed 4 this year. I will say this, deer numbers don't do so well in big mature forests and mountainous terrain. That's just my observation of course. Your mileage may vary.

Doskil

Go to ,say, Unicoi County and tell me how many agricultural fields you see.

Now there are good places like Cades Cove in the Smokies Park but they are few.

TheLBLman

There is no single answer to the question of why are deer densities so relatively low in East TN vs. the rest of TN.

But the reasons include ("generalizing" here, as localized exceptions abound) in order of significance:

1) Poorer habitat that cannot support as many deer

2) More deer hunters

3) More poachers (my opinion, may not be fact)

4) Different attitudes among East TN hunters vs other hunters (not saying this is good or bad, just part of why there are fewer deer).

5) Greater predation from bears and household dogs. Assume the coyotes are widespread west to east, but there are more roaming dogs in most of East TN simply because rural houses are more numerous, i.e. the rural human population is denser in East TN.

6) "Simplified" Statewide Regs that allow for the same number of deer hunting days in East TN as in all of TN. While the "antlerless" deer limits are considerably less, we still have the same annual 3-buck limit in Unicoi County as we have in Henry County. Certainly not an "apples-to-apples" comparison, but for the sake of comparison, East Kentucky has less than half as many gun-hunting days as East TN, and those East KY hunters have an annual buck limit of one, compared to our three.

stringtalker

It all depends on what counties in east tennessee you are talking about. Im in monroe county and i usually kill anywhere from 2-4 deer a year, sometimes 7-8 depending on what they have to eat. But your best counties in east tennessee are like meigs, mcminn, rhea, and counties around them hold decent amounts of deer. You just have to put in the time to find them. I love it here myself

Rockhound

I don't know about everybody, but the guys I know from that side of the state that own land, complain about not seeing deer, but on the other hand they won't even speak of cutting trees, making food plots, cutover or overall improving habitat

Latest posts