What is it with googans

Setterman

And the incessant locator calling? It seems to be a common bond in their culture that you must blow an owl call or crow call a thousand times. If they'd just stay quiet and listen they'd realize most workable birds will gobble on their own.

Wonder how many they never hear because of the unending locator calls?

TreyB

I have one.... years ago when I first started I used one. Over the years I will use it occasionally. Maybe once. But I have heard them blowing them about every 5 minutes or so.

timberghost35

No kidding, I had a guy using a peacock in the middle of the river bottoms. Watched the poor fella with binos. Never knew I was in the world...

Setterman

The crowd this morning switched from owl to crow to elk and the climax was the peacock. Birds gobbling all around them and continually blowing that crap

TheLBLman

Actually, the googans using locator calls just brings an additional level of entertainment to my turkey hunting,
as well as helping me know they are present, and exactly where. :tu:

Prefer they keep it up, so we can keep up with their locations.
But, yes, they are their own worse enemies with over-calling, over-moving, and general impatience.

Believe it or not, in Stewart County, I once had a peacock, the real bird, come by me making its sounds,
and turkeys were gobbling in response to it all around me.
That bird had apparently escaped his pen or wandered away from the farm down the road that had peacocks.

catman529

Hasn't been too bad here yet this year except for some owl calls. It can be bad sometimes, especially when they don't have a clue how to use the call. But it can be good cause it tells me where my competition is coming from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elknturkey

I love those guys. They don't kill chit and let me know where they are. It is freaking annoying though.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

catman529

elknturkey":2hylugpj said:
I love those guys. They don't kill chit and let me know where they are. It is freaking annoying though.

they do kill some when they walk past your truck and lift a tree limb lol

elknturkey

catman529":10zgorpg said:
elknturkey":10zgorpg said:

Funny you mention that. I rarely hear one being lifted off the limb but have heard 2 this week. Guess they just want to get home early lol

catman529

elknturkey":3bs104u1 said:
catman529":3bs104u1 said:
elknturkey":3bs104u1 said:

Funny you mention that. I rarely hear one being lifted off the limb but have heard 2 this week. Guess they just want to get home early lol

just gotta have a beard to grab and a trophy kill pic to brag about

PalsPal

My goal, other than elicit a gobble, is to get a real owl or crow to crank up and let them do the locating for me.

As one old timer said when you're calling owls and crows in to you then you're doing it right. The only negative is when the owls get too fired up and start laughing at each other. It gets so loud i can't hear the gobbles.

catman529

muddyboots":3a7bk9dl said:
The other morning an owl call was going berserk and I was thinking geez how many times do u want him to gobble when I figured out it was a real owl. Lol. Rediculous. Lol
yea I've heard a few real owl conversations here, I love hearing those birds.

REN

PalsPal":12b9t2zb said:
My goal, other than elicit a gobble, is to get a real owl or crow to crank up and let them do the locating for me.

As one old timer said when you're calling owls and crows in to you then you're doing it right. The only negative is when the owls get too fired up and start laughing at each other. It gets so loud i can't hear the gobbles.

I had 3 owls this morning like 100yds from me going BANANAS at each other for 15mins. it was crazy loud hahah. It actually worked out because how loud they were allowed me to get up on the roosted gobbler pretty quietly

cowhunter71

Googans have been as thick as the dog d#ck knats here in South Cherokee. Thought they might have been running out of gas beginning of this week, but a pair of them actually got lucky and struck and killed two Gobblers from the road, one suicidal 2 yr old and a super jake. Word spread, getting the circus all cranked back up again :) It's getting good they tell me :roll:

String Music

I heard one of them last weekend across the highway. It's bad when they're that far away and you can instantly tell it's a hunter.

Latest posts