What do you all grow?

catman529

I have been growing a variety of heirloom tomatoes for the past 3 seasons from seed, I have some 4 foot shop lights in my room and start the seeds late February. In fact it's that time of year for me to start looking for new varieties. I get a lot of seeds thru seed trades online (the GardenWeb.com forums are great). This year I was too lazy to save any seeds from my heirlooms, but I have leftovers from last year's and seed trades.

Off the top of my head, here are some that I have grown...

Black Cherry
Black Krim
Black Plum
Indian Stripe
Paul Robeson
Brandywine (Sudduth strain)
White Wonder
Sungold F1
Neves Azorean Red
Caspian Pink
Aunt Gertie's Gold
Opalka
Riesentraube

As for other fruits and vegetables, I have grown

Gurney Giant cantaloupe (didn't get big for me but VERY delicious)
Pecos cantaloupe
Spacemaster cucumbers
Waltham butternut squash
Giant grey stripe sunflowers
Popcorn (straight from the bag of Jolly Time)
Orange habaneros (straight from the seeds of store bought peppers)
Bhut Jolokia peppers (not as hot as they should have been but still insane)
Black Pearl peppers (seeds picked from ornamentals growing at a garden in Bicentennial Park)
Bell peppers
Cayennes
Basil
Peppermint (chocolate mint variety)
Lemon basil
Catnip
Cilantro
Oregano
Other random stuff probably

I grew at least 95% of the stuff from seed.

Got to look for some more seeds to get for next year.

What do you all grow?

FULLDRAWXX75

catman529 said:
I have been growing a variety of heirloom tomatoes for the past 3 seasons from seed, I have some 4 foot shop lights in my room and start the seeds late February. In fact it's that time of year for me to start looking for new varieties. I get a lot of seeds thru seed trades online (the GardenWeb.com forums are great). This year I was too lazy to save any seeds from my heirlooms, but I have leftovers from last year's and seed trades.

Black Cherry
Black Krim
Black Plum
Indian Stripe
Paul Robeson
White Wonder
Sungold F1
Neves Azorean Red
Caspian Pink
Aunt Gertie's Gold
Opalka
Riesentraube

Are any of those legal in the United States????? LOL

Aunt Gertie's Gold is some killer stuff............

FDXX75

Chaneylake

FULLDRAWXX75 said:
catman529 said:

Black Cherry
Black Krim
Black Plum
Indian Stripe
Paul Robeson
White Wonder
Sungold F1
Neves Azorean Red
Caspian Pink
Aunt Gertie's Gold
Opalka
Riesentraube

Are any of those legal in the United States????? LOL

Aunt Gertie's Gold is some killer stuff............

FDXX75

I was going to raise some marijuana and give it to some dude on this site but the local Co-op was out of seed back in the spring

moondawg

I might try one this year. We've had an elevated timber area with gardening soil in the past, and the veggies didn't do too well. I think I will plant stuff in the ground this year. The last time we did that, we were still picking tomatoes in mid October!

I suppose we'll plant tomatoes, bell peppers, cuccumbers, and maybe some squash (my wife's choice). We have two blueberry plants that didn't do that well last year...but then, I probably didn't take care of it like I should have, either.

Wobblyshot1

Catman, it sounds like you're doing much the same as me. Been growing heirloom tomatoes for several years now. These are a few of my favorites.....

German Red Strawberry
Kellogg's Breakfast
Jeff Davis
Abe Lincoln
Giant Belgium
Lillian's Yellow
Burgandy Traveler
Mule Team
Mortgage Lifter
Sugar Lump
Lemon Drop

Also grow squash, purple hull peas, lima beans, okra, silver queen corn, several types of peppers, and watermelon( crimson sweet and moon and stars).

TX300mag

Maters of all shapes, sizes, colors
Peppers "
Eggplant
Okry
Purplehull peas
Crowder peas
Green beans
Summer squash
Winter squash
Sunflowers
Sweet corn
Hopefully taters this year

basset

When we moved into our house on the Harpeth River in Nashville 21 years ago, I was all fired up to grow a garden down in the creek bottom at the foot of the yard. Dug out five 25x6-foot raised beds by hand, hauled barnyard manure in barrels in the back of my jeep, mixed everything with a digging fork, had it all ready for planting and the river came up and washed everything away.

Figured that had to be an aberration and did it again. Second year, did OK. Third year, river came up out of its banks and washed my work away so I said the hell with it, just started putting out some tomatoes and hot peppers around the house. Someone who was looking at buying the house next door saw the remains of my raised beds and asked if I'd gotten a truck stuck back there.

This spring the river came up one more time, no garden to ruin so it took out the plants around the house, Bradleys and German pinks and yellows and cherry tomatoes and a few jalapenos, and just for meanness got the house too.

I'm already looking at seed catalogs for next year.

Hawkeye5

I keep it simple, but then my garden space is small.

Two varities of tomato.

Green beans.

Lima beans.

Green peppers.

I can everything but the peppers and make salsa, pasta sauce, and quartered tomatos. I also can blackberry jam from the bushes at the rear of our property.

catman529

:D you all who don't know the strange names of heirloom tomatoes...no marijuana involved here, but I do get "high" on growing tomatoes in the spring...does anyone like the smell of tomato stems? No it doesn't really have an effect on you I just love the smell.

PickettSFHunter

Do fruit trees count? lol I grow a good bit of fruit. For the garden, really just basics. Squash, Green beans, Sweet Corn. Heavy on the squash. Grow some Sunflowers too just for the heck of it. Also some tomatoes, I cant eat them but family does.

Wobblyshot1

X2
catman529 said:
:D you all who don't know the strange names of heirloom tomatoes...no marijuana involved here, but I do get "high" on growing tomatoes in the spring...does anyone like the smell of tomato stems? No it doesn't really have an effect on you I just love the smell.