Safe to plant? What says TN Deer?

TN Song Dog

Think it is safe to start planting garden plants? What about sweet corn seed? I'm not a seasoned veteran gardener, and we typically wait longer than most... and everything comes in later than most... haha. Thanks for any advice on when you think it's safe to plant what.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
Radishes and some salad greens may make it.
If your southern Tennessee you get a few days ahead of the rest. I usually wait till April 15 for most things. Corn needs warmer ground and has no cold tolerance plant it late April to May. Later in may if your up on the eastern plateau

TX300mag

I've planted sweet corn as early as first or second week of April in your area and done ok. I've had it do ok with a light frost after germination, but a hard freeze will kill it. Same with purple hulls. Okra later, needs really warm soil.

If you're small enough to cover rows I'd be in the mood to take a bigger chance. But I guess seed isn't cheap anymore.

tellico4x4

Replanted my 8x16 strawberry bed a couple weeks ago. Have had to cover them 3 times though, but looking good. I'll wait another month or so before doing my garden, so I can hunt & fish 😁

Bone_Chaser

Cabbage, broccoli, lettuce, carrots and any brassicas plant now. Any nightshades or summer crops wait until at least mid April or better yet first of May.

WTM

its fine for cool weather plants, just row cover if there is a frost warning. i never plant any warm weather stuff until end of april. ive been burnt more times than i care to remember when i was younger. our last frost is usually around april 15th in west tenn.

chris1976

I always get impatient and plant the second week of April. I can usually save them from the few frost remaining but the cool temperatures really stunt and stress the plants. I'm waiting until May this year.

backyardtndeer

I usually wait until around tax day to plant our sweet corn, and almost always have corn ready before the 4th of July. Some years I go a little earlier depending on the forecasts, but not much earlier. Seems like last year we had a frost when my corn was about an inch out of the ground, and it may have slowed it down just a little bit it did fine.

kckndrgn

Never fails to frost the week after I plant my garden. So this year I fenced in the garden and I currently have my chickens foraging around in it. I'll wait another week or so them move them off the garden and till it up to start planting. Gotta say they've done a great job at getting the weeds that have started popping up gone. A few of them have dug some nice craters looking for something.
I do have my tomatoes and pepper plants going inside. a couple of the tomatoes have really taken off and are in need of repotting but I'm hoping I can get away with not doing that. I'll probably start putting the plants outside during the day next week. That's always a fun job.

kckndrgn

And the National Weather service has issued a frost/freeze risk for tonight and tomorrow night for most of West TN
1712262155483.png

1712262176920.png

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
Planted salad greens plus radishes, green onions, cucumbers, basil and sugar peas yesterday. Looking at the long range forecast a washout is about my only remaining threat. Decided to hold carrots till fall, did that last year and they did very well. Stirred in some compost and organic matter. As the organic matter in my beds decays they reduce and I try to top them back up some. Corn cobs are great filler till they rot and become a teaspoon of soil!

DoubleRidge

Planted onions, garlic and potatoes in one new raised bed. Ideally the garlic would have been planted last fall but no harm in trying some spring garlic...it may not be as big but so far its doing good. Amended other beds with last years garden compost and some finished manure compost. Have tomatoe, cucumber, squash, zucchini, okra and a variety of peppers started in trays inside the house and hope to set them out mid to late April...probably direct sow radish and carrot soon.

DaveB

Today is 4/11. Got about 150 seeds indoors under grow lights. Tomatoes have 2nd set but I am not taking them outdoors just yet-Next monday. Have covered my raise beds with water permeable material and this is raising the dirt temp 5 degrees. A huge surprise.

Beans in big containers doing well. Same for cucumber and squash.

I was a big grow light guy in Los Angeles. Not because of cold but smog, bugs, and snails. Been away from it for quite awhile but am being reminded how this gets you about 3 week in the ground early for some...definitely not all....plants.

I am using chinese grow lights. To my surprise a huge bargain and so far working well. I have an aero Garden for herbs and those horrible cherry tomatoes (I hate these things flavor is bad). I hit the fertilizer about 4 times the recommendation and results are very favorable.

Forvols

I got broc plants Im going to plant in the next few days. Peas have come up, not seen the carrots yet. Under grow lights I got tomatoes peppers cukes, zukes, squash, cantaloupe, basil, oregano, parsley. Tried 12yr old turkey craw beans under the lights 80% germination had the seeds in the freezer or fridge all those years. What a surprise. Cantaloupe are seeds from one we bought last year at food city, I dried some seeds out to see if they would grow had 100% germination (only did 6 seeds) another surprise.

Big Pop

Long range for next weekend has the low here in ET at 37 degrees. Think I'll wait til after that for warm season crops.

Latest posts