What did you do today in the reloading room?

Long walker

Loaded an OCW set for my AR .308. Hornady 150 SSTs, Starline brass, SW tactical rifle and Fed LRPs.

Been debating on a new hunting cartridge upper for the AR-15 in either 6.5 Grendel, 6mm Arc or 300 Ham'r. With components still hard to find I decided just to work up stuff I already have and see if I can tune it into hog hammer.

Sniper23

I did the same thing last year and switched over to the SS pins in the small Frankford Arsenal wet tumbler. It saves a ton of time compared to the older way of cleaning brass. In fact, I started cleaning so much brass, I also bought Frankford Arsenal dryer, so it has really sped up the entire process.

Just make sure you deprime before cleaning - no sense cleaning something you're going to throw away (spent primers). Also, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS check your brass when rinsing to make sure no pins were left inside the case or flash hole. Those pins could cause some serious damage to a barrel and maybe even to the person using the firearm.

By the way, SAVE YOURSELF SOME MONEY!!! Instead of using Lemishine, go to the canning section at Walmart, Rural King or TSC and buy a bottle of citric acid in powder form. It's basically the same thing but a whole lot cheaper to get the same results. I use one tablespoon of Dawn Ultra dishwashing liquid and one tablespoon of the citric acid to each container of water. My brass comes out looking like new. I'll run it through the dryer for a couple hours, then let it sit overnight and start loading it the next day.
I went ahead and purchased the FA wet tumbler, dryer, and media separator all at once. Buy once cry once. Should've done it a long time ago. I already had the lemishine, but I'll remember your advice when I run out. I do mine in the same sequence you stated above. Might as well let it clean those primer pockets and save me the trouble.

Bad habit

20220129_123818.jpg
20220129_141731.jpg
20220129_141811.jpg
20220129_072829.jpg
20220129_080558.jpg

Started the morning doing a few batches of alloy. Once done with that I broke out the MP 300 grain .44 mold and ran off a few hundred beautiful bullets.

Dartanion2022

I made some .308 for my Nephew to shoot in his .308 SMLE. Some mild loads with 147 grain FMJ bullets and 42 grains of H4895. I hope his old Ishapore 2A will shoot OK for him.
Does anyone need to trade some small rifle primers for some small pistol primers? I have some CCI 500 small pistol primers I would part with.

MUP

Loaded an OCW set for my AR .308. Hornady 150 SSTs, Starline brass, SW tactical rifle and Fed LRPs.

Been debating on a new hunting cartridge upper for the AR-15 in either 6.5 Grendel, 6mm Arc or 300 Ham'r. With components still hard to find I decided just to work up stuff I already have and see if I can tune it into hog hammer.
Do you crimp your .308 AR rounds?

backyardtndeer

I don't crimp my 6.5 cm either, but it's a bolt gun. Just wondering if the impact from cycling the semi auto caused any issues with bullet push back
I haven't had any issues at all in mine.

Only thing I have to watch is that I adjust for coal between my 308 bolt gun and my AR10 loads, with the eldx bullets. The optimal seating depth with the eldx in my bolt gun(m700 vsf) won't fit in the ar mags, even though they would fit the chamber fine.

Wiley

I'm up early and measured the free bore in my new to me 223 bolt rifle. I've only had one cup of coffee but my measurement comes to .027 of free bore. Spec COAL is 2.260 and my measurement is 2.287. I'll measure again after more coffee and also see what length the magazine will accept.

Long walker

Do you crimp your .308 AR rounds?
I didn't this time. I have with my first FMJ work up for it and wasn't happy with the accuracy. I've heard from several folks like backyardtndeer that it's not necessary. I figured I'll give it a try and see if there's an appreciable difference.

MUP

I didn't this time. I have with my first FMJ work up for it and wasn't happy with the accuracy. I've heard from several folks like backyardtndeer that it's not necessary. I figured I'll give it a try and see if there's an appreciable difference.
I've heard that no crimping is usually necessary unless you're shooting heavy magnum or tube fed rifles. Some people crimp for AR's tho and some don't

Wiley

Further examination and measuring of the 700 LTR .223 gives me a measurement of 2.292 to the lands and internal max length of the magazine is 2.345. So, loading to max book length of 2.260 will give me a jump of .032 and that's where I am starting with 20 rounds loaded. I'll get over to my range one day soon.

markwondi

2-Step Enabled
I'm up early and measured the free bore in my new to me 223 bolt rifle. I've only had one cup of coffee but my measurement comes to .027 of free bore. Spec COAL is 2.260 and my measurement is 2.287. I'll measure again after more coffee and also see what length the magazine will accept.
The 0.027" you measured is not your chambers freebore. There is a lot more to the measurement than that.

But your measurement is still useful for distance to the lands.