What did you do today in the reloading room?

Jcalder

Anyone else feel like you need to load something simply because you have components lol. I keep trying to justify loading more 223 for plinking, and I have enough just to plink with lol. I'd like to conserve what I have and use the components for more accuracy related loads.

PickettSFHunter

Anyone else feel like you need to load something simply because you have components lol. I keep trying to justify loading more 223 for plinking, and I have enough just to plink with lol. I'd like to conserve what I have and use the components for more accuracy related loads.
Yes. I just can't seem to just simply keep bullets, brass, primers, powder on standby. I have to load them up even though I probably have enough to last me the rest of my days hunting 😂

MUP

Yes, my thinking is that those components aren't doing me any good separately and need to be loaded! 👍

PickettSFHunter

Question for the group. Reloading 7mm RM is very expensive. I can get PPU brass for about 45 per 50 or Peterson Brass for 75 per 50. This is for hunting ammo. What would you do? Crazy to think brass for this is at $1.50 or more for premium. Nosler is $2 per.

Jcalder

Yes. I just can't seem to just simply keep bullets, brass, primers, powder on standby. I have to load them up even though I probably have enough to last me the rest of my days hunting 😂
Yes, my thinking is that those components aren't doing me any good separately and need to be loaded! 👍
I just feel like I need to be pulling press handles lol. I have maybe 5-600 rounds loaded that are just plinking rounds. My AR isn't set up for precision work so there's no need to work on a precision load lol.

Jcalder

Question for the group. Reloading 7mm RM is very expensive. I can get PPU brass for about 45 per 50 or Peterson Brass for 75 per 50. This is for hunting ammo. What would you do? Crazy to think brass for this is at $1.50 or more for premium. Nosler is $2 per.
PPU is generally considered good. Unless you're running hot loads, the PPU should do fine. You might check normashooting.com and see if they have anything in 7mag. It's loaded ammo but at least it's decent brass and the cost difference is negligible. Wish it was available when I bought my 300wm brass.

Jcalder

Jcalder

Mewe has a few groups that sell reloading supplies if you have it. Thinking someone had some 7mag brass not to long ago. I'll see if I can find it.

backyardtndeer

Sniper23

Doing a little more brass prep today. Hers a before and after.
09AD5ED2-4AFD-4C2C-8C6F-125812072376.jpeg
0DCCEB1F-48F2-42FF-8219-02DF41CB4D5A.jpeg

Wiley

I've loaded 20 rounds with 69gr SMKs for load development in a new to me .223 bolt rifle. I'm anxious to find the sweet spot and get several boxes loaded and put on the shelf. Then I need to resume load development for my RRA AR15. I bought a bunch of 55gr FMJ several years ago and new to put them in cases. I'm hoping WC 844 will perform well in both weapons. If not I have a good bit of IMR 3031 and 4895 and some Varget. Have a little AA 2520 and H335. Surely there is a load somewhere in there! Come on warm weather!

Sniper23

Looks good! Did you use a rotary tumbler with corn cob/walnut shell media, or the newer type with stainless steel pins?
I switched over to the newer rotary type wet tumbler with stainless steel pins. I can be a little ocd, and this is definitely a lot better. There's just something rewarding about seeing nice shiny brass. A little water, Dawn, and lemishine and it's good as new!

utvolsfan77

I switched over to the newer rotary type wet tumbler with stainless steel pins. I can be a little ocd, and this is definitely a lot better. There's just something rewarding about seeing nice shiny brass. A little water, Dawn, and lemishine and it's good as new!
I did the same thing last year and switched over to the SS pins in the small Frankford Arsenal wet tumbler. It saves a ton of time compared to the older way of cleaning brass. In fact, I started cleaning so much brass, I also bought the Frankford Arsenal dryer as well, and the two have really sped up the entire process for me.

Just make sure you deprime before cleaning - no sense cleaning something you're going to throw away (spent primers). Also, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS check your brass when rinsing to make sure no pins were left inside the case or flash hole. Those pins could cause some serious damage to a barrel and maybe even to the person using the firearm.

By the way, SAVE YOURSELF SOME MONEY!!! Instead of using Lemishine, go to the canning section at Walmart, Rural King or TSC and buy a bottle of citric acid in powder form. It's basically the same thing but a whole lot cheaper to get the same results. I use one tablespoon of Dawn Ultra dishwashing liquid and one tablespoon of the citric acid to each container of water. My brass comes out looking like new. I'll run it through the dryer for a couple hours, then let it sit overnight and start loading it the next day.

Last edited:

Latest posts