What’s your best dish?

DaveB

Holiday Turkey followed by Salmon then spaghetti.

Son says I make the very best scrambled eggs in the universe.

Oatmeal cookies.....blueberry muffins

Chaneylake has a recipe for orange slices on shrimp that will have you headed to Kroger at high speed after your first bite.

hard county

Roast duck with whatever sauce I have the stuff on hand to make. Plucked whole dabbler duck of some kind, been doing it long enough I can almost always get crispy skin and medium rare meat. Wasn't easy to figure out.

moondawg

Probably gumbo or chili. I also enjoy making beef stew and it's alter ego, chicken stew. The ingreedients are the same, only I use chicken and chicken stock instead of the beef and beef stock. I love this time of year when it's cool outside and you have a hearty dish like gumbo, chili or stew.

Safari Hunt

Crawfish (or shrimp)Etoufee. Around here anyways. I know most Cajuns would take me to the woodshed with theirs. I was taught by a Cajun and don't cut any corners. It takes time, but worth it.

... I love just about anything from down there. I recently just had pounds and pounds of boudin and boudin balls shipped here. As well as a cream cheese king cake from Don Phuongs
Lived in LA for 6 years. I do miss the Cajun foods. Mine is red beans and rice.

GMB54

Ive gotten pretty good at most curry dishes. Some of the Indian versions are still hard to replicate. Thai and some of the Indo/Malay curries like laksa ive gotten pretty much down pat. Japanese, Caribbean and Korean are simple to make as good as the restaurants.

My kimchi stew will also rival any ive eaten at a Korean restaurant. As well as my homemade kimchi.
DRjkvNb.jpg

TpLb9Em.jpg

eyRJaL8.jpg

Last edited:

BamaProud

Ive gotten pretty good at most curry dishes. Some of the Indian versions are still hard to replicate. Thai and some of the Indo/Malay curries like laksa ive gotten pretty much down pat. Japanese, Caribbean and Korean are simple to make as good as the restaurants.

My kimchi stew will also rival any ive eaten at a Korean restaurant. As well as my homemade kimchi.
DRjkvNb.jpg

TpLb9Em.jpg

eyRJaL8.jpg
Man those look good!

GMB54

Man those look good!
Its definitely an acquired taste but if you like sauerkraut and spicy your would probably like it. Personally i dont find Korean food to be extremely spicy but it sure aint mild either. Curry on the other hand can be really tame to brutally spicy depending on the country. Korean and most Japanese curries for expample are very mild. More like their version of comfort food. I got hooked on it when i lived in Japan. Other than fried rice or tempura it was about the only thing "authentic" i would touch. Truth be told, back then i did not care for kimchi at all when i was in Osan.

Go to Maangchi's website for good kimchi recipes but cut back on the fish sauce amount she suggests. :D Once you got some good old ripe kimchi its easy to make the stew or stirfry it with pork and some Korean pepper paste. The older the better. Ive got some in the fridge now a year old. It makes the best stew.

Snowwolfe

Umm recipe?
I wing it. Start by browning a pack of breakfast link sausage that have been cut into 1 inch pieces and half a pound of bacon. Remove meat and mix in 1/2 cup of flour with the grease and made a rue. Slowly add whole milk and cook to the thickness you want. For seasoning use Lowrys seasoned salt and coarse black pepper. Taste often and add seasonings as you go. It normally takes a lot of salt and pepper. When gravy is done put meat back in and heat.
Make sure you cook the gravy enough so the flour doesn't taste raw. Don't use 2% or skim milk
Pour over the biscuits of your choice. Add a fried egg over the top of everything.

Last edited:

Latest posts