West Tn Rut

Thekla

What are you guys on the west side of the state seeing? I'm just not seeing the intensity I have in years past this time of year.

I have been alternating between 2 different properties that are less than 10 miles apart and the action is not there on either.

Bodine270

Saw a few new scrapes this last weekend and caught 2 bucks fighting in a bean field after dark Saturday night. It was too dark to see anything but the outline of their body. They were going at it hard though.

Southern Sportsman

Oddly slow. Last weekend I saw 2 small bucks pestering does, but clearly not real chasing. Last Saturday I had a yearling and a 3 yr old buck in a clover patch. The yearling bedded down. A doe came out and they both looked up but didn't act excited. The yearling didn't even get up. Sunday I had one young buck push a doe but not for very long. Another young buck came out and bristled up, but they never actually got aggressive. A second doe was largely ignored.

Similar reports from others hunting yesterday and today. Seeing several bucks, but most of them young and just walking around. Not really "cruising" and no chasing. I also noticed that it was really late before I started seeing scrapes in places that always have scrapes.

I got my first daylight picture of a mature buck last week. It has to crank up soon.

This is all on two different farms in Obion Co.

Grnwing

Checked cameras this past Sunday and early November had lots of bucks cruising and some fights. 4 bucks that are 3.5+ coming through mostly after dark but some good daylight pics. I have seen young bucks over the last 3-4 days cruising and harassing some does, including one this morning behind the house. At my place and areas I hunt in West Tennessee, we are about a week out for the rut and then a second rut the 3rd week in December.

Boll Weevil

They're scraping pretty heavy, young bucks are walking/looking, but it's absolutely not cranking yet. On my farm they're generally wide open the 1st week of Dec. It'll tick up a little bit every day from here and when the first doe comes in the woods will go berserk. Until that time though, mostly scraping and night activity from mature bucks in my neighborhood.

bowhunterfanatic

Not quite happening where I'm at yet. I killed a mature buck yesterday but I was basically in his bedroom and he didn't seem to be looking for any of the does bedded nearby. It usually starts picking up for us around Thanksgiving.

cbhunter

Friday evening i seen 3 young bucks and about a 115 inch 2.5 yo 8 point all with one doe. The larger buck responded well to snort wheeze and grunt but i let him live another day. Seen one other chase Saturday morning on a diff farm although i could not make out the buck. Body seemed average in size so i'm certain it was a young buck. Any day now it should be getting right around Carroll County

Chucklee338

2-Step Enabled
Where at hunt in McNairy County it has been slow. I have found several fresh scrapes but haven't seen a nervous doe yet.

Shotgun84

Several bucks chasing does hard in Tipton county this morning. Most folks i know that hunt close by are saying the same

Spurhunter

I haven't hunted yet due to the warm temps and red hot crappie bite, but my cell cams aren't sending me anything interesting and the guys hunting our lease aren't seeing any rut activity. Fayette County.

BigAl

I am in Fayette County. I have the privilege of watching deer every day in my back yard. I'm seeing increased buck movement, but no real chasing yet. Just pestering. I did have a 10pt hang around a doe for hours late last week. I've seen him several times since then just cruising or checking. Seen a few small bucks too, but just not the usual heavy buck activity and chasing I see during the rut. Still a week or two out here, I think.

X-Tennessean

Weakley County
Slow for me until Thursday as a matter of fact Tuesday I did not see a single deer and I could not tell you the last time I sat in a deer stand and did not see a deer. Opening day through Wednesday I sat from daylight till noon and back at 2 till dark,
Thursday the switch was flipped!! All day sit seeing 27+ deer, mostly single or paired up does with every buck following HARD or chasing and witnessed some breeding at 40 yards as well.
Friday was another all day sit seeing 23 or so deer but for some reason the does were in groups of 4 and 5 but still had bucks following close by or on the trail within 3-4 minutes. Only had 1 lone doe that was being chased by a young 8 pt.
Saturday was similar to the day before but had a couple small bucks fighting over a doe while the spike was chasing her down! All single doe followed by a buck or two.
Did not hunt Sunday in the 40 mph winds and back to work Monday!

Thekla

Well, tonight I finally saw some action!
Was hearing alot of noise from a cedar/pine thicket and 10 min before dark a doe comes out with a buck on her tail. I grunt trying to get him to stop but acts like they never hear me. They continue til dark never giving me a shot.
I'll be back in the morning!

BigAl

I am in Fayette County. I have the privilege of watching deer every day in my back yard. I'm seeing increased buck movement, but no real chasing yet. Just pestering. I did have a 10pt hang around a doe for hours late last week. I've seen him several times since then just cruising or checking. Seen a few small bucks too, but just not the usual heavy buck activity and chasing I see during the rut. Still a week or two out here, I think.
Saw some action finally myself. Saw a breeding party yesterday with about 5 or 6 bucks, mostly small ones. Killed a 10 pt today that was checking a fresh scrape.

NeilM

What are you guys on the west side of the state seeing? I'm just not seeing the intensity I have in years past this time of year.

I have been alternating between 2 different properties that are less than 10 miles apart and the action is not there on either.
I just got a pic from my cell cam in Dover, two bucks sparring. 2/15/24

Latest posts