West Tn mast crop

tnclayboy

I don't have many white oaks around here but my sawtooths and my red oaks are loaded with Acorns .I believe we didn't get as bad a frost as the rest of TN. the oaks around the fields edges are loaded also. What are others observing?

BSK

Not an acorn on anything of the white variety (white, post, mountain chesnut). A few reds with scattered acorns and a couple of black oaks that are loaded, but the acorns I've cut open have only a tiny shrivelled nut inside.

Howa

I've done some scouting on both farms, Montgomery and Houston County and I ain't seen nothing resembling any type of food, even grass, that's all dead too. I think they're gonna be eating hay, same as the cows, that or starve to death.

Swampster

I don't see a thing in Henderson County. And the freeze knocked the fire out of my sawtooths - some back to the ground- so they sure don't have anything.

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
BSK said:
Food resources in that area are becoming a MAJOR concern if we don't get substantial rain soon.

We have finally got some good rain off and on the last week.Not enough to catch up.Should get some more this week enough to help. Alot of grass is starting to green up. Ponds are muddy from run off.Should be enough to make good soy beans and get the native grasses growing again.

jeff

Got to do a little scouting today,and looks like we have a few redoak acorns,but they are kinda here and there.No sign of whiteoaks or chestoak.This is in southern wayne county.
100_1228.jpg

100_1227.jpg

100_1226.jpg

Game Eye

R.I.P.
No persimmons or white oaks at all up here in Middle Tn around these here parts that I've seen. The reds are extremely spotty as well.

BSK

WestTn Huntin'man said:
BSK said:
Food resources in that area are becoming a MAJOR concern if we don't get substantial rain soon.

We have finally got some good rain off and on the last week.Not enough to catch up.Should get some more this week enough to help. Alot of grass is starting to green up. Ponds are muddy from run off.Should be enough to make good soy beans and get the native grasses growing again.

Only problem is, deer don't eat grass.

BSK

A deer's digestive system cannot support the bacteria that break down grass. Cattle have a much wider variety of bacteria for breaking down a wider variety of food sources.

Latest posts