Recommended nurseries in middle TN

megalomaniac

My next project on my new farm is to clear and establish approx. 1.5ac for fruit and nut trees. I should have that done and ready for trees this winter. Anyone recommend a nursery for pears, apples, plums, sawtooth acorns, and chestnuts? I'd love to get them planted and caged in November or December.

DoubleRidge

I'm following this thread closely.....I have similar interest....on one side of one of our new plots, which was previously a log loading deck, we had this weird curved edge that was hard to work with tractor....so we planted a row of three chestnut trees and gave up this odd area of around 1/4 acre....started with the three chestnut trees.....also we currently have 13 sawtooth in pots we started from acorn... nursing those at the house.....but I'd like to add more chestnut, sawtooth and fruit trees in various other locations on the property.... my chestnut trees came from cherry hill (through Walmart) and the sawtooth acorns came from a friend who started his own trees....curious to hear input from others that have more experience purchasing trees in higher quantity....good luck on your project!

BSK

Recently I was traveling from Murfreesboro to McMinnville on Highway 1/70S fairly frequently. I was amazed how many nurseries there are along that route, especially from Woodbury to McMinnville.

The only thing that outnumbered nurseries was churches! Man, you all are a religious lot over that way!

megalomaniac

McMinnville claim to fame is it is the nursery capitol of the world.... seriously.

I've found a nursery there where you can get bareroot 12in sawtooth for .65c each (25 minimum). Fruit trees are reasonable, they don't have Dunstan chestnuts.

Other oaks are similar in price. I've thought about planting a few water oaks on my new farm in the low areas. We don't have any, and I've found the tiny acorns seem to produce here in south MS when other oaks fail. They aren't the deers most favorite, but get hammered when the whites and reds don't produce.

BSK

I've thought about planting a few water oaks on my new farm in the low areas. We don't have any, and I've found the tiny acorns seem to produce here in south MS when other oaks fail. They aren't the deers most favorite, but get hammered when the whites and reds don't produce.
Great observation. I've noticed that as well in Deep South. And the water oaks seem to be more consistent producers. My question is, will they survive in our climate? There may a climatic reason we don't have many here.

Omega

If you need a decent quantity of trees, it may be worth it to check with the guy in Joelton, he carries many varieties of fruit trees, and possibly nut trees as well, though I have only purchased fruit trees and berry bushes. All his plants are grown in TN, so they grow well here, and his prices are good compared to nurseries, and even box stores and the trees are older. It may be possible to make plans with him to get the quantity and species your after, as well as a timeline, he may even give you a discount if you get enough. I'm not connected to his business, just a satisfied customer.

Tony
6820 Old Clarksville Pike
Joelton, TN 37080
615-944-0405

JCDEERMAN

If you need a decent quantity of trees, it may be worth it to check with the guy in Joelton, he carries many varieties of fruit trees, and possibly nut trees as well, though I have only purchased fruit trees and berry bushes. All his plants are grown in TN, so they grow well here, and his prices are good compared to nurseries, and even box stores and the trees are older. It may be possible to make plans with him to get the quantity and species your after, as well as a timeline, he may even give you a discount if you get enough. I'm not connected to his business, just a satisfied customer.

Tony
Joelton, TN 37080
615-944-0405
This place was recommended to me and I was very satisfied. Very nice guy and well priced. I got several fruit trees from him several years ago and they are doing well. I bought 5 apple trees from him back in February also. Every time I buy them, I wish I had bought more. We usually plant 4-5 a year.

megalomaniac

Tony
Joelton, TN 37080
615-944-0405
Ty, will give him a call!

megalomaniac

Great observation. I've noticed that as well in Deep South. And the water oaks seem to be more consistent producers. My question is, will they survive in our climate? There may a climatic reason we don't have many here.
Yup, no idea if they will make it in middle TN, but jeez, they sure produce a ton of high tannin tiny acorns year after year here in south MS

Derek

Water oaks will produce in Mid TN. I brought some up from my Grandmothers place in McComb and they are heavy producers. I bought some from East TN Nursery also, but they are young. The small acorns seem to be real popular with Squirrels and turkey.

BSK

Water oaks will produce in Mid TN. I brought some up from my Grandmothers place in McComb and they are heavy producers. I bought some from East TN Nursery also, but they are young. The small acorns seem to be real popular with Squirrels and turkey.
Very interesting.

Latest posts