Well I was looking forward to a good steak

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
My best friend and I went fishing Saturday and he wanted to go to Trollingers to get some steaks for Saturday night.
He sold one of his cars and wanted to buy supper, so being the friend I am, I let him. :D

They had some pre-marinated steaks there that he wanted to try.
They were good looking ribeyes.
I told him it was up to him but in my personal experience I usually steer clear of anything pre-marinated, I just haven't had good luck with them before.

He decided to go for it and who was I to argue. :D
We got my wife a fillet also.

Got home and I seasoned up my wife's steak and then laid them all out before cooking to let them get to room temp.
I ate 2 or maybe 3 bites of mine.
The first bite reminded me a little of a caribbean jerk type flavor but was kinda "watered down".
The steak itself had absolutely zero flavor.
It was terrible.
My wife's was excellent of course. LOL

So yesterday after church we went to the grocery and they had a package of three, beef tenderloins for $11.00
They had started to turn dark and looked and felt like they would be AWESOME.

I seasoned them and got everything ready while we sat on the deck and just enjoyed the day.
Well one small mistake... I forgot to set them out of the fridge before cooking them. :bash:

They had a great flavor but were tough as the treads on a tire. :shock:

I couldn't believe how much difference it made.
Oh well, there's always next weekend. :D

Grandslam11

Coach me here. What does letting the meat get to room temperature do? I think I've been leaving that part out when grilling steaks. Does the same apply to other meats like chicken and/or pork?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveB

breaks down stuff holding the meat together.

similar to aging a piece of beef.

You can taste the difference.

You never ever see a real chef cooking anything frozen except ice cream.

I have baked chicken pretty much half frozen. I think this is how you get that taint of blood next to thigh bone. Years ago I started cooking only when completely defrosted.

I can't cook pork and don't even try.

DaveB

No
let them set in refrigerator.

If you let them bleed all over the place your wife will be very angry with you. Best place them in bowl or on a metal pan.

WTM

as someone who has butchered his share of beef, i can assure you that sitting meat out on the counter for any period of time has no affect on tenderness unless you wack it a few times with tenderizing mallet. these factors will contribute to tenderness: breed, particular muscle or "cut", grade of cut and doneness(good marbling will allow more doneness than less marbling without sacrificing tenderness), and on tough cuts whether you cut with the grain or against the grain.

myself, i hate new york strips and tbones. i do like ribeyes from the chuck end. to me a highly marbled chuck end ribeye is more tender, although it goes against what everyone else will tell you.