Weatherby's new bolt action

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
Not that it matters; I won't be buying one, but I wish they didn't use the Rem700 style safety. Too loud unless you basically take your hand off the trigger guard.

DaveTN

About four years ago Weatherby moved their facility from California to Sheridan Wyoming. It appears they will be making this rifle there instead of just putting their name on a Howa rifle.

It's always good to see an American firearms manufacturer doing well with a product made here. Having our firearms made in America is as important as having our pharmaceuticals made here. Getting shut off from either would be a disaster.

8ZcPGfh.gif

TheLBLman

It's always good to see an American firearms manufacturer doing well with a product made here.

8ZcPGfh.gif
Totally agree.
And the founding of Weatherby by Roy Weatherby is as "American" as any American success story can be.

Roy Weatherby created one of the finest sporting goods (for the time) ever, called "Weatherby's Sporting Goods".

For those who can remember the 1970's "Uncle Lee's" (Paris, TN), Roy's sporting goods store was very similar, just bigger & better than even "Uncle Lee's". Wouldn't surprise me if in fact founder Lee Fauntleroy modeled his "Uncle Lee's" after "Weatherby's Sporting Goods".
(Mr. Fauntleroy also founded Kentucky's famous "Wing Supply".)

Years later, Roy Weatherby personally created the legendary Weatherby Mark V rifles and proprietary cartridges.

Wanting a rifle that was a true extension of the shooter, Roy identified shortcomings in other bolt-action stocks. So he designed his own for exceptional fit, balance and identifiable style.

With Weatherby's hot cartridges, there came a need for a bolt-action capable of handling the magnum power. Behold, the Mark V action. With nine locking lugs and "overbuilt" craftsmanship, the Mark V design remains the strongest bolt-action rifle today.

Weatherby also created (and patented) the short-throw bolt for which is now also a feature on Browning bolt action rifles. IMO, a very great feature.

Last edited:

rickyk280

Totally agree.
And the founding of Weatherby by Roy Weatherby is as "American" as any American success story can be.

Roy Weatherby created one of the finest sporting goods (for the time) ever, called "Weatherby's Sporting Goods".

For those who can remember the 1970's "Uncle Lee's" (Paris, TN), Roy's sporting goods store was very similar, just bigger & better than even "Uncle Lee's". Wouldn't surprise me if in fact founder Lee Fauntleroy modeled his "Uncle Lee's" after "Weatherby's Sporting Goods".
(Mr. Fauntleroy also founded Kentucky's famous "Wing Supply".)

Years later, Roy Weatherby personally created the legendary Weatherby Mark V rifles and proprietary cartridges.

Wanting a rifle that was a true extension of the shooter, Roy identified shortcomings in other bolt-action stocks. So he designed his own for exceptional fit, balance and identifiable style.

With Weatherby's hot cartridges, there came a need for a bolt-action capable of handling the magnum power. Behold, the Mark V action. With nine locking lugs and "overbuilt" craftsmanship, the Mark V design remains the strongest bolt-action rifle today.

Weatherby also created (and patented) the short-throw bolt for which is now also a feature on Browning bolt action rifles. IMO, a very great feature.
Remember Uncle Lee's well, "Hugo" as we called him the gunsmith there was neighbor and a friend. Enjoyed going there.

redblood

Weatherby is fine company. Their guns, whether made by them or howa, are fine rifles. However, that gun does not resemble those fine weatherby rifles from the 1970s and 1980s, with nice walnut and rosewood in lays. Rather to me it looks like it was made with black legos. Im sure it will shoot fine, all weatherbys do

vonb

I look at what's produced today and have to wonder if it will stand the test of time like the older designs. The modular handle of the bolt is a complete turn-off to me. It makes me wonder if continued cycling of the bolt will event induce play in the bolt handle ir if this creates planned obsolence. May be a moot point.

I also see guys packing 10lb.+ rifles into the field and really wonder how much hunting they're actually doing. You're not walking that far with one. I'm getting cynical as I get older. Give me a solid > 7 lb. rifle all up and I'm ready to hunt. No chassis and hubble telescopes....Save that for the range.

TNRifleman

I look at what's produced today and have to wonder if it will stand the test of time like the older designs. The modular handle of the bolt is a complete turn-off to me. It makes me wonder if continued cycling of the bolt will event induce play in the bolt handle ir if this creates planned obsolence. May be a moot point.

I also see guys packing 10lb.+ rifles into the field and really wonder how much hunting they're actually doing. You're not walking that far with one. I'm getting cynical as I get older. Give me a solid > 7 lb. rifle all up and I'm ready to hunt. No chassis and hubble telescopes....Save that for the range.
90% of hunters these days are driving an ATV or side by side to a box blind overlooking a field with a little buddy heater in it so toting a 10 lb rifle is no big deal for them. I'm with you though, when I am walking 7-8 miles a day out west, ounces make pounds really quickly

Tenntrapper

90% of hunters these days are driving an ATV or side by side to a box blind overlooking a field with a little buddy heater in it so toting a 10 lb rifle is no big deal for them. I'm with you though, when I am walking 7-8 miles a day out west, ounces make pounds really quickly
It's funny how just a couple pounds...or ounces can make a difference. For me, there is a sweet spot, and once past it it becomes an obvious burden.

DaveTN

Back in the day many of us carried .308 Winchester ammo. Some of the bigger guys even carried 30-06 Springfield ammo. Can you believe that?
But we walked 7-8 miles each way to school, uphill, both ways.

fairchaser

I've never owned a Weatherby but they are fine rifles. Unless you hand load the ammo is expensive for the Weatherby calibers and sometimes hard to find. For the price, I haven't seen the benefits of owning one over other high quality rifles. Maybe the new 307 will fit that bill. It's a strange name btw and they don't explain how they decided on it. It's like it's a 30 caliber ie .308 minus 1. Weird! Is it a new caliber or new rifle? Lol
The ease in how the bolt breaks down is cool. Most hunters have never disassembled their bolts and cleaned them or replaced the spring. Both are necessary. You would still need a tool for the spring but at least you could clean and oil it. The fluted barrel looks cool and reduces weight but fluting creates stress in the barrel and could affect accuracy. Weatherby used to guarantee 1 MOA accuracy and send the 3 shot target with the gun. I wonder if they still do that?

DaveTN

It's a strange name btw and they don't explain how they decided on it. It's like it's a 30 caliber ie .308 minus 1. Weird! Is it a new caliber or new rifle?
The picture for the video link shows "308 WIN" stamped on the barrel. There are claims that the "307" is inspired by the area code for Sheridan, WY

timberjack86

Weatherby is fine company. Their guns, whether made by them or howa, are fine rifles. However, that gun does not resemble those fine weatherby rifles from the 1970s and 1980s, with nice walnut and rosewood in lays. Rather to me it looks like it was made with black legos. Im sure it will shoot fine, all weatherbys do
To me the perfect bolt gun has a beautiful wood stock.