Virginia Pines

XCR-2

Are Virginia pines worth anything? I've got about 4 acres worth and most of them are very big, fairly straight, and not very limby until the top. Wanting to clear them for habitat but didn't want to just burn them. Feels very wasteful. Pretty sure these things have been there at least since 1980 because I saw them on old arial photos of the property.

DoubleRidge

I would say yes they do have some value.... however, the challenge will be finding a timber company that will move equipment to cut 4 acres....maybe if they are between jobs they might consider it? Or if you could find a small operation that's close maybe they would do it? Also...If you could find someone that will cut it...that would be some income to put towards your habitat improvement projects....good luck.... enjoy the process.

Boll Weevil

I don't know much about Virginia pine/markets as we have mostly loblolly and some shortleaf over this way. What I do know about it is that it can be knotty so not sure about value as dimensional lumber. Do ya'll have chip or pulpwood mills over there? Could likely at least sell it for those products if there's a crew right there close. Maybe watch for log trucks in the neighborhood and ask around...might be a crew in there that'll pop in and knock it out for you.

Latest posts