Planting PInes

BSK

Jarred525 said:
I would go with Virginia Pines 8 ft apart. The virginia pines keep limbs from top to bottom even when they are mature better than the loblolly. I currently get my seedlings from TN Division of Forestry
http://www.state.tn.us/agriculture/publ ... atalog.pdf

One of the big problems with Virginia Pine is slower growth. But it's a good idea to mix pine species if you are trying to make a visual barrier, as Loblolly will grow tall quickly (and lose their lower limbs). But I prefer a White Pine for lower, bushier growth over the Virginia Pine.

Quailman

BSK said:
Jarred525 said:
I would go with Virginia Pines 8 ft apart. The virginia pines keep limbs from top to bottom even when they are mature better than the loblolly. I currently get my seedlings from TN Division of Forestry
But I prefer a White Pine for lower, bushier growth over the Virginia Pine.

Agree BSK. I prefer white pine as a visual barrier, and would actually recommend 2 rows on a staggered spacing. This helps to conceal any "gaps" between trees by having the spacing different between rows. I'm just not a fan of Virginia Pine because it is so hard to control where I live and it has poor growth form, IMO. However, I do know some people that use it on a regular basis.

Greg

we have used eller and sons ,from your list.they set 12 acres,furnished trees and labor. done in 3 hours.around 85% survival,trees will be 3 years old in march @5-6' tall now.$900 total

pass-thru

Jarred525 said:

When fully mature in a stand va pine will be clean. I just can't believe anybody would ever intentionally plant those things. They are the predominant native pine where I grew up in Va and were always considered by everybody to be the ultimate native trash tree: ugly, scrub, come up everywhere, can take 80+ years to get any timber value and much of the time they don't grow straight enough to ever get a log out of them, very little wildlife value, first to break in ice storms, etc., etc.

pass-thru

Football Hunter said:
think they are talking about them as a barrier,not so much as a timber tree

....try eastern white pine.

Didn't see that had already been suggested.

Jarred525

Football Hunter said:
think they are talking about them as a barrier,not so much as a timber tree

Yep, talking more about a barrier. I had been planting these on property lines. Lelands work nice as well. I'll give the white pine a try.

I use loblollies for timber value as far as pine goes. I am willing to listen if soomeone has suggestions on a better pine for timber value?

pass-thru

Loblollies are a favorite for timber because they grow fast....I also like short leaf pine for timber, not sure that it grows as fast lob-lollies but it is a good looking tree, grows straight and clean relatively fast.

Jarred525

pass-thru said:
Loblollies are a favorite for timber because they grow fast....I also like short leaf pine for timber, not sure that it grows as fast lob-lollies but it is a good looking tree, grows straight and clean relatively fast.
Thanks, might give a few shortleafs a try to give me some more variety.

Latest posts