Venison Steak and Beets

Lt.Dan

So, it's been like decades since I've had some beets. I all of a sudden had a craving for them a couple weeks ago. So I grabbed a can when we were getting groceries. Of course the wife won't eat them, she doesn't know what's good for her. Anyway, she's at work so I grabbed a beer and some venison for the grill. Tried to slow cook it like my brother does. That didn't work, so the steak was well done (not my favorite way to eat it). A good layer of horseradish fixed that. But back to the beets. They go great with venison. If you like beets and haven't tried this combination, you need too. The little bites on the side are for the dogs. They don't care for horseradish 🤪

20240329_190039.jpg

Last edited:

Chiflyguy

So, it's been like decades since I've had some beets. I all of a sudden had a craving for them a couple weeks ago. So I grabbed a can when we were getting groceries. Of course the wife won't eat them, she doesn't know what's good for her. Anyway, she's at work so I grabbed a beer and some venison for the grill. Tried to slow cook it like my brother does. That didn't work, so the steak was well done (not my favorite way to eat it). A good layer of horseradish fixed that. But back to the beets. They go great with venison. If you like beets and haven't tried this combination, you need too. The little bites on the side are for the dogs. They don't care for horseradish 🤪

View attachment 221690
Looks good.
Ate a lot of beets as a kid. Pollacks love beets.
Always set a piece aside for the dogs too.👍

chris1976

This is interesting. My neighbor grows/cans beats and gives me a few jars every year. Don't taste anything like dirt. They are sweet as candy....I love them.
That said, I've never eaten them any other way.
I've eaten beats from the store and beets canned by at least a dozen different people over the last 45 years. I've never had a beet that didn't taste exactly like dirt smells.

brassmagnet

This is interesting. My neighbor grows/cans beats and gives me a few jars every year. Don't taste anything like dirt. They are sweet as candy....I love them.
That said, I've never eaten them any other way.
Try some pickled with jalapenos or cayenne pepper, The thing with beans and cornbread !!! I keep a jar in the fridge year round.
That's the correct proportion of horseradish.

Latest posts