Velvet Hunt - U in or out?

SES

The last 3 good bucks I killed I never knew they were on the earth until they were in my scope. The bucks I saw before season, i never saw in the woods.

Creek bottoms

I'd like to know how much they make just on this. I'd bet a lot they make more on turkeys by out of state then the velvet hunt. Especially if I read correctly that the majority of the public land is not involved.
Here's the problem as I see it. Every redneck for miles will ride up and down the road real slow looking at my soybean fields. They have no intention of getting in the woods, but would be awfully tempted, if they didn't go ahead and shoot one from the road.

Buzzard Breath

In. But only hunting evenings Friday and Saturday. Sunday, I'm going for broke and may hunt all day. The summer bucks transition off our place once the beans turn, so blowing them out doesn't hurt a thing.

View attachment 146447
#fakenews #defundbuzzardbreath

It looks like I'm out, life is getting in the way. It really won't be much of a loss, as I'll still be able to get out and do some squirrel hunting. I just won't have the time to deal with a deer if I were to get lucky. Good luck to all those that do get out.

tree_ghost

Guys if anyone ends up shooting a deer in the Rutherford area I will come to get the unwanted hide and hooves or liver. I'm working on training my pup to blood trail and need fresh material. Thanks and good luck!

Attachments

• E4835017-5EAF-4BCA-813C-FC3F146727EA.jpeg
    E4835017-5EAF-4BCA-813C-FC3F146727EA.jpeg
    197 KB · Views: 55

knightrider

Here's the problem as I see it. Every redneck for miles will ride up and down the road real slow looking at my soybean fields. They have no intention of getting in the woods, but would be awfully tempted, if they didn't go ahead and shoot one from the road.
So we should shut the whole state out of a chance to kill a velvet buck if they so choose because your afraid some redneck gonna poach on you😂

deerhunter10

Well where I live that would cause an even bigger issue it's bow only here. You can't stop poaching completely I don't think this hunt cause more or less issues than any other time.

Gravey

Guys if anyone ends up shooting a deer in the Rutherford area I will come to get the unwanted hide and hooves or liver. I'm working on training my pup to blood trail and need fresh material. Thanks and good luck!
Good looking pup and love the coffee mug. 🤣 No hunting at our lease this weekend but if we kill something through the year (horn hunting primarily) I'll save those items for you if you're still wanting them at that point.

gatodoc

I've hunted in in west TN last couple of years. Had my formaldehyde ready to inject the antlers etc...

Saw a couple of young bucks and one poor doe who was so cachexic I figured she must have CWD. I didn't shoot her because of the buck rule but I wanted to. I knew she wasn't long for this world and if positive, just spreading prions for awhile. Being legal is so hard sometime when breaking the rules would be for a good purpose.

no problem this year. Not gonna hunt the velvet hunt at all. Work on food plots and pick up condos for folks.

TimberMan

I talk to people all the time who base most all of their deer hunting on their cameras. If they are not seeing bucks or a particular buck on camera, then they are not hunting.
Encourage them to get out and check those cameras often. I like how they run the deer out checking them so often. No cameras here. Just something else for people to steal and leave scent in the woods.

recurve60#

No. As I recall this was originally another opportunity created to remove more deer from CWD zones. Hunters didn't bite. Same with 3 does/day. Same with starting rifle weeks and weeks sooner. Same with extending rifle weeks and weeks later. Same with earn a buck...and so on and so forth.
If this is true, CWD has been here years before acknowledged.

wobblegobble

From seeing some comments on this thread, I am so glad I never have and don't plan to use trail cameras. I most likely would quit hunting if I had to depend on cameras. What is crazy to me is how many great bucks are killed that had never been seen on a trail camera, at least not in the area they were killed. Amazing to me how many base whether or not they will hunt on what shows up or doesn't show up on trail cameras.
I never hunt without cameras, I get all my deer on camera but I run many

AT Hiker

I've hunted in in west TN last couple of years. Had my formaldehyde ready to inject the antlers etc...
I have been really surprised by the stages of velvet during these hunts. Out of the few I have handled, not one was able to be injected and most were ready to shed any day. This year I have even seen more than 1 trail cam pics that showed hard antler and velvet pealing.

DeerCamp

We have had 3-4 bucks on camera in the afternoons.
Wife is going this afternoon. Only interactions I'll have with an August deer is holding a knife.

Latest posts