Velvet Hunt - U in or out?

BSK

I see some negative comments about the hunt and would like to understand where the animosity comes from. I feel like perhaps I'm not seeing the whole picture, that there's something I'm missing. Heat, bugs, etc. are all great reasons to not hunt. It's our personal choice to hunt or not. I get that. But why would anybody not want the velvet hunt to exist? Does it negatively affect the herd in some way, or hinder those folks who wish not to participate?
The only biological argument I could make against the velvet hunt (and it's not an argument I would actually make) is that mature bucks are extremely patternable at this time of year, moving to and from agricultural fields on a regular schedule, and often during daylight. This suggests the velvet hunt produces a much higher success rate on mature bucks than other times of the hunting season. That's the argument. Does this higher harvest of mature bucks harm the herd? Possible, but probably not.

I've not lived in TN forever. I only moved here 7yrs ago. So please forgive my ignorance if there's something I am missing about TWRA. I've lived in a lot of states, hunted many more & several other countries, and I've not seen this level of opportunity and lax regulations anywhere else. Not even close. Hunting & fishing in many other places is insanely strict, as well as expensive. Some places require a law degree to interpret/understand the regs. TN is pretty full of inexpensive opportunity and plentiful public resources. I lived in NM for 11yrs and not once drew a big game tag. That's deer, elk, bear, antelope, nothing. To me TN seems pretty darn awesome, and so far I'm pretty overall impressed with how it's managed.
Couldn't agree more. I'm thrilled to live and deer hunt in TN. I have my "beefs" with the deer regulations at times, but those beefs pale in comparison to the amazing opportunities I have to deer hunt in this state.

Last edited:

Headhunter

That's the biggest difference with the velvet hunt over all the other hunts... you don't need/ use cameras. The velvet hunt is all about glassing bean fields first and last light, finding a shooter, then figuring out how he enters and leaves the food source. Once you have found him and patterned him, you get one chance to intercept him...

Thursday is scout day, Friday is pattern day, Saturday is go after him day.
Interesting since many on this thread have said they are basing on whether or not to hunt on what pics they get.

squirrel_hunter

I am doing a urban hunt in Arkansas. Season starts September 1st thru February 28th. No limit either sex. Game and Fish give me 10 tags to start out with. I am holding off for a few weeks. The ticks are bad here. The seed ticks are the worst.

ML_Hunter

I see some negative comments about the hunt and would like to understand where the animosity comes from. I feel like perhaps I'm not seeing the whole picture, that there's something I'm missing. Heat, bugs, etc. are all great reasons to not hunt. It's our personal choice to hunt or not. I get that. But why would anybody not want the velvet hunt to exist? Does it negatively affect the herd in some way, or hinder those folks who wish not to participate? As I currently see it, it's another privilege, an extra opportunity for hunters who choose to. It's not taking anything away from anybody, nor does it increase license fees. What am I missing?

The money thing comes up a bit, too. That's something else I don't understand. Yes, I can be pretty dumb. I don't understand lots of things. But bare with me. TWRA is made up of humans. Those humans are doing a job, whether it be biologists, statistic analysts, managers, game wardens, admins, etc. And those jobs pay a wage that has to be fair & competitive for retention. That requires money. Some of it comes from license & permit fees. The velvet hunt was a way to both increase revenue while appeasing at least some of the license buyers, without adding any cost. If you don't participate, then nothing changes for you. If you do participate then it's another privilege, another opportunity to hunt, without any additional cost. I fail to see the financial rub here. I wouldn't work for free, and I doubt any of you would, either. I understand that my privileges are not rights, that they come with a financial price. If I can get more hunt for that price then what's the problem?

I've not lived in TN forever. I only moved here 7yrs ago. So please forgive my ignorance if there's something I am missing about TWRA. I've lived in a lot of states, hunted many more & several other countries, and I've not seen this level of opportunity and lax regulations anywhere else. Not even close. Hunting & fishing in many other places is insanely strict, as well as expensive. Some places require a law degree to interpret/understand the regs. TN is pretty full of inexpensive opportunity and plentiful public resources. I lived in NM for 11yrs and not once drew a big game tag. That's deer, elk, bear, antelope, nothing. To me TN seems pretty darn awesome, and so far I'm pretty overall impressed with how it's managed.
From this perspective i can see the value of this hunt as it does not really change anything from a herd stand point and also allows people who may be short on meat in these bidenflation times. After reading this I'm actually considering going out to see what i can see. I think the reason why i initially thought this was strange is because ive never seen it done before and ive never seen a mounted velvet rack. But then again this is one of the reasons i joined this forum so others more experienced can help me on my way. I thank you for the post Ski.

Buzzard Breath

Interesting since many on this thread have said they are basing on whether or not to hunt on what pics they get.
That's what's do great about living in a state that has such varied deer seasons. It provides lots of opportunities for hunters to enjoy whatever method and strategy they wish to use. If someone less using cams and patterning a specific buck in the early season, they can. Of someone enjoys finding a hot Oak tree and hunting it in October, they can. It someone wants to wait until the rut and hunt sex crazed bucks, they can do that also. Tons of opportunities.

Carlos

It's all about perspective, and there's at least one fool posting here who thinks he knows everything. Ego-master can have all the BS deer hunts in August. Smf doesn't understand that we haven't had an open season on deer in August before.

:D

Pilchard

I can tell you're one conceded MF and I'd rather not have anything to do with you.

You can shove your Intel where the sun doesn't shine, yes, you're that guy.

A conceded MF that thinks his opinion is fact.
Well I'll be the first to say, your opinion doesn't mean shyt.

Got that dickhead?
Smh.
Tell us how you really feel.

tree_ghost

I'm un the same boat... haven't found a shooter to go after yet this year.

Now granted, my standards are a bit higher than others... im not shooting a velvet buck unless he's mature and over 140. I've found a couple mature bucks in the 120s I'd be thrilled to kill come ML season, but I'm not killing one during the velvet season unless he's going on the wall... for me that's 4.5 and 140.

Regardless, I will still be out there hoping I missed seeing the big boy scouting earlier. I'll also get to hang more cams, plant plots, visit with Dad, and just get a break from work. Actually killing a deer is so far on the bottom of the totem pole for what the velvet hunt experience means to me. Haven't deer hunted since mid Feb... im ready to get afield with a weapon in hand!
Yeah I'm dying to get after one!!!!!

Ski

I can tell you're one conceded MF and I'd rather not have anything to do with you.

You can shove your Intel where the sun doesn't shine, yes, you're that guy.

A conceded MF that thinks his opinion is fact.
Well I'll be the first to say, your opinion doesn't mean shyt.

Got that dickhead?
Smh.

I've been called worse. I think you can do better

deerhunter10

From seeing some comments on this thread, I am so glad I never have and don't plan to use trail cameras. I most likely would quit hunting if I had to depend on cameras. What is crazy to me is how many great bucks are killed that had never been seen on a trail camera, at least not in the area they were killed. Amazing to me how many base whether or not they will hunt on what shows up or doesn't show up on trail cameras.
Personally if I am going to plan to burn a tag in August and only have 1 tag for the rest of the year I would like to know what I am hunting. I personally don't know anyone that doesn't hunt regular season because of cameras. I will say this, the majority of big buck killers I know we're killing them way before cameras and they will always kill them. I don't know anyone depending on them just another tool on the bag.

TimberMan

No for me. In my opinion, there is more to a deer than antlers, and in the forecasted temps good chance a deer could spoil.

Headhunter

Personally if I am going to plan to burn a tag in August and only have 1 tag for the rest of the year I would like to know what I am hunting. I personally don't know anyone that doesn't hunt regular season because of cameras. I will say this, the majority of big buck killers I know we're killing them way before cameras and they will always kill them. I don't know anyone depending on them just another tool on the bag.
I talk to people all the time who base most all of their deer hunting on their cameras. If they are not seeing bucks or a particular buck on camera, then they are not hunting.

RockMcL

You guys ever eaten a velvet buck? A whole lot better quality meat In my opinion.
I agree on easier better meat. I really dislike antlers in velvet but the meat is better with potentially less hang/chill time. (We process our own deer)

Latest posts