Using multiple "guns" during the same shoot.

Smells Like Sulfur

I just recently started to get into duck hunting, and really enjoy using my black powder SxS shotgun, say what you want, but it drops ducks just as dead as a modern gun (I use bismuth), and it's a ton of fun to shoot. It's a fun conversation starter with other hunters too.

I've never been hunting with a pump action shotgun, so excuse me if this is an ignorant question, but I know you're only allowed to have three shells in your shotgun at a time, the guys I was hunting with explain how the mag tube blockers work, and we actually had TWRA officers stop by our blind to do checks that day to check ammunition and mag tube length.

So my question is this, could I bring two black powder, muzzleloader, side by side shotguns to shoot back to back giving me four shots instead of two? Every now and then you get that one bird that's flying away, wounded, and everybody's out of ammo. It would be nice to have a secondary gun for that "clean up" shot, without spending 3 minutes reloading.

I've looked to their regulations, and it clearly states that you can't hold more than three shells, but my antique "firearms" don't take shells, nor are they considered firearms legally, and I've noticed they fall into quite a few loopholes.

Everyone I ask this question to in person tells me I just need to get a pump shotgun, or a break action that can be reloaded quickly. But at this point, I've sunk so much money into my muzzle loading shotgun that I'm committed, and something about that massive cloud of black smoke is entertaining.

Thanks for any advice!

TnKen

2-Step Enabled
Yes you can have multiple guns, as long as they don't hold more than three shells per gun. A plug usually made up of wood or plastic takes up space in a mag tube to prevent it from holding more than two shells. We used to used to hunt with two guns, one loaded for ducks and one for geese.

Dodge Man

I know lots of people that have 2 guns per person in the blind as well as a few extra for backups. There is no limit to the number of guys you can hunt with. But make sure that someone in the blind is not coming to watch and not hunt. If you have extra guns and someone clames to not be hunting. They will most likely to be given a ticket if they don't have proper license.

Latest posts