Using a grunt call and bleat can??

jard

I have grunted in a buck that I can already see. I've only used the bleat after a shot to regroup the does and it works great. How do you guys use this to blind call. I read alot about you guys calling them in and was wondering how your using them. Every 15 minutes? A cadence, 2 grunts to 1 bleat? just curios and looking for advice.

Trevor2

I'm with ya. I've used them blind to no success but I keep trying. I've had success blind call in in ohio but that's another ballgame

WhitesCreek

I do a bleat can and tending grunt in random order. I only have success when I do the tending grunt loudly. In my opinion, a loud tending grunt is the only way to bring them In if you want to see bucks. For years, I tried grunting softly with no success. The wind and trees must really damper how far the sound travels. Also, don't worry about the pitch. From what I've observed, deep grunts don't equal a mature buck and vice versa.

However, I think I'm going to stop doing this type of calling blindly. It works very well on my property, but the bucks often jump downwind to come into the call. This morning, I had a 120+ 8 pt come in to the call through thick cover behind me. I had no shot. When he was about 35 yards away he winded me (and I'm religious with scent control) and blew like he was on fire. I'm still sick about it.

Mike Belt

If you use a grunter then sit back and 5-10 minutes later a buck comes slinking into your area did you call him in or was it just a coincidence? Who knows? If you do this and the same thing happens multiple, multiple times I no longer call it a coincidence. Those bucks are responding to the call. I've drawn unseen bucks in time and time again over the years.

I grunt softly 3 or 4 times in case there may be a close by buck. My thinking is that too loud will turn him away and I'll never know he was there. I'll give it 2-5 minutes and if nothing shows I'll hit it louder... especially if it's windy. Sometimes I try to wait until in between wind gusts. Calling is useless if they can't hear you. Then I just sit back and WATCH. You could have a buck come charging in but most I've called in came in slinking. Did I mention WATCH and pay particular attention downwind of your location? If they're coming in from that direction they may wind you and you'll never know they were there. They could be anywhere when you call and try circling around you in order to get downwind of your location. The trick is to spot them moving before they can get there. Did I mention WATCH? If there's any time on stand to sit still it's after calling. If he's coming he's going to be looking and searching for you...and he may just stand in one spot for a few minutes looking. (I suspect that calling has worked for more people than they realize but because movement has turned the buck away the caller never knew he was there). I repeat calling every 45-60 minutes. If the rut is on I sometimes add an estrous call. In all my trips to the woods I've only heard and seen estrous does calling a dozen or so times but I've called in three times that many bucks using an estrous call. When I have witnessed it the does were calling non stop for a couple of minutes at a time. When I use one I prefer to use it alone. Occasionally I'll follow it up with a grunter.

Location can also be a factor. For instance, if you're hunting open hardwoods and calling and a buck sneaks in without you knowing it. He's probably going to hang up looking. He hears the call but he can't see the buck and he should be able to in open hardwoods. Same can be said for an open field. He gets suspicious and backs out without you ever knowing it. If you're calling from a thicker area where visibility is tight he's going to have to get closer and hopefully you'll catch his movement before he has a change of heart. Again, WATCH WITHOUT MOVEMENT because he's going to be WATCHING FOR MOVEMENT; and probably more intently than he would if he was just traveling along on his own.

If you're going to be calling sometimes you can pick your spot. Set up where a deer can't get downwind without being seen first by keeping the more open area downwind of you. Set up to either side of the wind direction particularly if it's off the edge of cover he may use in his approach. Don't over call and NEVER call to a buck you see approaching unless he's turning to leave.

Mike Belt

I don't rattle a lot but I have called in a few bucks doing so...as well as called in a few when I was doing something else that they apparently thought was rattling. I like the sound of real antlers but they're a pain to carry with all my other stuff. Rattle boxes and bags just sound too "tinny" to me...but they'll work. A friend took an old hunting sock and filled it with cut up old pool sticks and it really sounds good.

I think rattling is more of a timing thing than grunting; primarily pre-rut, the initial stages of the rut, and post rut. The temperament of a buck has to be just right to get him to respond. Bucks are more prone to investigate a deer calling than they are to bucks fighting. It'll work but not as well here (for whatever reason?) than in some other states. That may be because our rut is more prolonged than in some other states??? Bucks that respond to rattling, particularly those higher dominate bucks, do so much more aggressively than to calling. It's really neat to rattle and one comes running in with hair standing on end, wild eyed, and looking for a fight. When I do rattle I'm not a passive, sparring kind of guy. I've heard too many fights between bucks before. I go at it like I'm trying to tear the woods down.

Bodine270

First buck I killed a buddy rattled in for me. He was going nuts with the rattles, kicking leaves, and breaking limbs. I was cracking up watching him and thought he had lost his mind when this 7 pt came charging in. I shot him broadside at 15 yards with a 30-30. He never took another step. It's one of the best hunting memories I have. Neither one of us has been able to rattle one in since.

Stalkhunter

Bleat cans to date have not worked for me, grunts call sometimes, doing it with my mouth has worked way better. I do a snort wheeze and I have perfected a blow when i jump a deer that seems to work. As i say seems to work lol.

I have rattled a few in I think lol Think more luck then anything.

Latest posts