1st Buck Grunted in, and first w/300BLK

lafn96

Couple of firsts for me Saturday morning. Tried a loud and aggressive buck grunt sequence, followed by some doe bleats. Less than 10 min later, saw a buck coming in at about 50 yards. He turned and headed up the ridge away from me, so did some doe bleats. Turned and came right in, but didn't give me a broadside shot till he was about 20-25 yds. Grunt to stop him, fire, and he runs off tail high like he wasn't hit. Wait about 30 min, get down and no hair or blood so I really start to question if I had even hit him. I could see him for about 75 yds after the shot from my climber so head to the last place I could see him, and find him about 25 yds past that. Near perfect shot that took out the top of the heart and both lungs. Bubbles/froth on exit wound. Good sized 4x2 that was probably around 150lbs; weird antler on the one side that looks more like a pronghorn antelope. That makes two I've got in the freezer now to grind (minus the backstraps and tenderloins); so will be busy making a bunch of sausage and brats.

Happy with the rifle and bullet performance, but don't like that I couldn't tell he was hit or the lack of blood till right before he fell. Used 120gr TAC-TX bullets, which have very high velocity for a 300blk. Good sized entry and exit holes, so it expanded well and the bullet did not appear to fragment. This will likely be my main rifle/round combo for the areas where I expect 100 yard shot or less.

Snake

Couple of firsts for me Saturday morning. Tried a loud and aggressive buck grunt sequence, followed by some doe bleats. Less than 10 min later, saw a buck coming in at about 50 yards. He turned and headed up the ridge away from me, so did some doe bleats. Turned and came right in, but didn't give me a broadside shot till he was about 20-25 yds. Grunt to stop him, fire, and he runs off tail high like he wasn't hit. Wait about 30 min, get down and no hair or blood so I really start to question if I had even hit him. I could see him for about 75 yds after the shot from my climber so head to the last place I could see him, and find him about 25 yds past that. Near perfect shot that took out the top of the heart and both lungs. Bubbles/froth on exit wound. Good sized 4x2 that was probably around 150lbs; weird antler on the one side that looks more like a pronghorn antelope. That makes two I've got in the freezer now to grind (minus the backstraps and tenderloins); so will be busy making a bunch of sausage and brats.

Happy with the rifle and bullet performance, but don't like that I couldn't tell he was hit or the lack of blood till right before he fell. Used 120gr TAC-TX bullets, which have very high velocity for a 300blk. Good sized entry and exit holes, so it expanded well and the bullet did not appear to fragment. This will likely be my main rifle/round combo for the areas where I expect 100 yard shot or less.
Congrats on the buck .

Remington700

Congrats! My daughter shot one with a 223 and it was a perfect shot, but no blood. He ran around 100 yards without dropping any blood. Then there was blood everywhere when he finally fell. Thats the only problem with small calibers.

Remi

Congrats

Barnes to to not kill as quick unless bigger bones are hit due to no fragmentation. If you're not going to break shoulders the 125 nosler ballistic tip will show more emphatic expansion but will still hold up for shoulders.

lafn96

Congrats

Barnes to to not kill as quick unless bigger bones are hit due to no fragmentation. If you're not going to break shoulders the 125 nosler ballistic tip will show more emphatic expansion but will still hold up for shoulders.
Thank you - so you'd recommend high shoulder for these?

Kelljp

Congratulations, always heard grunt and doe bleat works when the rut is on but never witnessed it. Sounds like a great hunt .

killingtime 41

100yards is a long way to go if your not in open hardwoods. Try that in thick stuff and you'll be calling in a dog to find it. Glad you were able to find him. And congrats on the buck.