Grunt call

Trnr

I also carry one but certainly don't use it each hunt. My preferred is a duel game calls grunt tube. I also think it's worth mentioning that real grunts don't sound like the "pros" make it sound on tv….at least not the ones I've heard lol

backyardtndeer

Yes I do use a grunt call. I will call blindly, and have called in a number of deer that have ended up on my wall. I have learned a lot just watching deer, and I try to mimic their vocals best as I can with the call I carry.

Ski

I also think it's worth mentioning that real grunts don't sound like the "pros" make it sound on tv….at least not the ones I've heard lol

100% ^. Growls & snort wheezes do happen but not near as common as what I'd describe as a pig snorting along through the woods or a fat kid in grade school making a poor attempt at burping his ABC's. And I've never heard a grunt tube that exactly mimics that sound. There's a guttural echo chamber quality to a real buck grunt that grunt tubes can't replicate. But I'll be danged if they don't work anyway. I don't hunt without one.

BSK

I've had very poor results with any type of calling. But I suspect that is property/habitat specific. We've gone so far in creating cover that visual/shooting ranges are very short. Extremely rare to be able to see a deer beyond 60 yards. I strongly suspect deer ARE responding to calling but can easily slip around downwind without being seen.

UTGrad

I always have a grunt call around my neck on any hunt. It's not for blind calling, but for alerting a buck that might be out of range. I have grunted before and brought in a buck that I later stuck with an arrow so yes they do work.

Blind calling isnt very productive and if anything, may alert a deer you dont see to travel down wind of you to scent check.

Waterboy Bob

I've never really used one consistently. Had a buddy talk about his success with a grunt call last year so I gave it a try. A buck was crossing in front of me and disappeared in a thicket heading away to my left. Did a grunt sequence and settled back in. Within 5 minutes that buck was standing at 20 yards…..not a young buck but not quite a shooter. Maybe that was just a rare response but it got my attention enough to see what experiences others have had.

square

I have called in a lot of deer with one. Deer that respond are already alert so you have to be too. I think BSK hit the nail on the head. Younger bucks rush in. More mature bucks sneak in

gladesman60

I use one a lot from muzz season up to the end of gun. i have called in a lot bucks. If i see a buck not moving my way i will use it. if i hear a doe blow at me or for whatever reason i use it. if i hear a stick break and i think it could be a deer i use it. 2 or 3 grunts is all , usually pretty soft calls. sometimes loud. i was hunting one day last season. had seen a few smaller bucks and as always i grunted at em to judge their reaction, soft grunts. not really much reaction. finally saw what i thought was a good one headed away from me. I grunted pretty hard at this one, 2 grunts, and about 10 to 15 seconds later he reappeared out of a thicket walking right to me. he was about 150 away when he popped back out and i killed him at 35. this scenario is not uncommon for me.

Waterboy Bob

Very similar experience to mine last year. I have hunted my whole life but just never wanted to spook deer and chose to sit silent. After last season, I'm becoming more inclined to be a bit more active with calling….hard to argue with the responses I got to grunting.

TheOG

I've only been hunting whitetails since 2015. Grew up hunting mule deer in the northern Sierra Nevadas (no calling to speak of).

However I have tried calling some in Unit A and B. I once called in a bachelor group in week 1 by doing 2-3 young buck grunts, then about 10 seconds of VERY light rattling. I've tried it since without success. I have had limited success during pre-rut in areas where there is a hot doe or two. As some have stated, sometimes bucks ignore it. I don't know that I've spooked any bucks, although I could have…

Edit: to correct a spelling error.

Last edited:

ROVERBOY

The only time I use a grunt is if I see a deer and want to try and get it closer, or to stop one for a good shot. . It works sometimes.

Latest posts