Grunt call

david k.

I carry one in my pack all the time but don't use it on every hunt. I've had some success calling bucks in with them over the years. If I see a buck cruising or maybe headed into a thicket to bed, I'll let them get just out of eyesight and then hit the call...I don't call if I can see a buck though....too easy for them to pinpoint the exact location of sound.

clwg97

2-Step Enabled
I have 1 and have called in a few bucks. The one below ran across a holler ready to kick another bucks tail when I was bow hunting in Missouri. He was cruising on the other ridge and I could barely tell he was a buck at about 150 yards. I grunted a few times and he bristled up and came sauntering in. I shot him with my bow at 15 yards quartering away after he passed me. That same week I also called in 3 other deer but they were spikes and forkhorns.
12.JPG

Bass1090

I think I have had more success of late but not a whole lot. I called to one that was going away from me across a field at about 150 yds and he came in on a string.

My best deer ever "may" have came in to a call after I was aggressively calling to a buck going away from me. The buck going away never broke stride and 5 minutes later the one I killed came in from the opposite direction and was "acting" like he was trying to get downwind of me. Who knows with the scenario, I tend to think it was all luck lol.

One thing I don't do is call to a buck I don't intend on killing. Not worth the risk of him busting me and becoming even more educated.

All in all, I carry one, use it sparingly and think all deer adhere to them one way or the other (some come in and others ignore) lol.

Last edited:

Ski

My best deer ever "may" have came in to a call after I was aggressively calling to a buck going away from me. The buck going away never broke stride and 5 minutes later the one I killed came in from the opposite direction and was "acting" like he was trying to get downwind of me. Who knows with the scenario, I tend to think it was all luck lol.

You stumbled onto exactly how I prefer to use a grunt tube. I like to set up near bedding and blind call every so often. Sometimes pretty aggressively. I make all kinds of racket. It can work any time of day but usually works best in the evening. Best I can describe it is like when you were a kid and your dad or grandpa is trying to nap but you & your brother or buddy are horse playing & making so much noise that when the old guy gets up he's coming to let you know he' not happy. Most bucks I kill is with that method. I actually have two small yearling racks on the skull plates that I rattle with. I don't want an old buck thinking I'm a threat. I want him thinking I'm an annoying punk kid. It works surprisingly well.

Although I do always try calling to bucks that I can see but aren't coming to me, it hardly ever works out. Once they're on a mission it's tough to change their mind. They sometimes stop and give me a glance but usually they just momentarily tilt an ear my direction and never skip a beat.

Pilchard

I have no idea if this is a coincidence or not but I became a believer in the grunt call when this happened.

I was sitting on the ground a couple years ago during muzzleloader and had 6-8 does spot me. They finally started blowing and making all sorts of noise. So as they were blowing at me I grabbed my grunt call and hit it really aggressively. The does ran off but about 2 minutes later a really mature buck came out of a thicket at about 80yds to see what all the fuss was about. Unfortunately there was a cedar tree between us so I couldn't get a shot.

My thinking is that he associated the blowing and the grunting as a buck pestering the does and he came to scent check whether or not any of the does were worth pursuing.

Last year I blind called and the buck I killed came in downwind and turned broadside to run away at 100yds.

Ski

My thinking is that he associated the blowing and the grunting as a buck pestering the does and he came to scent check whether or not any of the does were worth pursuing.

That's likely exactly what happened. I learn to do what I do by watching the deer as I'm hunting. I try to imitate what they do given specific situations. If they can get a rise out of an old buck then I'm going to do what they did to see if I can too. They're surprisingly easy to fool. I think a lot of hunters give them too much credit and are too cautious. I've often found them to be as responsive to calling as turkeys are.

BamBam77

I've carried an Extinguisher for ~8 years. Used to be aggressive with it, but have toned back on blind calling. Depends on the environment. Have called at does and small bucks to see how they'll react.
In 2021, I was hunting a small opening in big woods, saw a doe being chased in thick brush going parallel to me. Couldn't tell what it was, hit the call and had an 8 come in for a shot

Attachments

• IMG_20211115_155238_051.jpg
    IMG_20211115_155238_051.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 34

Chiflyguy

Do y'all use a grunt call much? Any success stories or times where it definitely made a difference?
Called in a 6'2" Pollack one time on Illinois public land.
Tooted the grunt call a couple times. Hear noise, something moving thru the trees.
Wait 10 minutes, toot again.
Next thing I know, here's a clown with his gun waist high in my direction.
"I thought you deer"
The last year I hunted public land.
The worst was the drunk Russians running around the woods.
I still throw one in my pack.
When things are slow, what the heck.

Latest posts