Unconventional spots

megalomaniac

I love to hunt outside the box, especially during the rut. Places that get overlooked, or are so obvious that they go unhunted.

This morning, I set on the edge of a private blacktop road and powerline on my lease. I hunted from the bed of my truck. We have a couple foodplots that are within 200yds in the woods that get hunted frequently, but noone on the lease sits on the powerline. I saw 5 deer crossing the road and shadowed drain this morning, including a decent heavy 6.

Anyone else have some unconventional tips?
c9beb7435f8b83fdb089a3b118dbf0f4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

gobblesandgrunts

I have a place out at my grandpas that is literally a 20 yards x 40 yards stretch of woods right smack between 2 houses. Road to one side of it, two houses on e a's ch side then a field. For some reason deer used it alot! Good little place to sit

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

TNTreeman

This is literally what I've been thinking for tomorrow afternoons hunt. I've seen over 60 deer in the last three hunts in the same spot and several nice bucks. One was a shooter except for his broken tines. I'm going to close out tomorrow in a spot I haven't been this year and I'll be next to a bridge overlooking a place so thick you can't hardly walk through it. May not see anything but I'm rolling the dice.

Lost Lake

Back in the late '80's and early '90's, I hunted a beautiful farm close to where I grew up. Anytime I came out of the woods and saw the owner at his tractor shed, we'd talk for awhile.

One day he asked for help retrieving equipment from behind the shed. This shed was situated on a bluff above a big creek, with a small block of woods right behind it. We jumped a buck that is to this day probably the second biggest I've ever seen in the woods. A little exploring showed a lot of rubs and beds.

I tried some all day sits during bow season over the years, but the way it was situated, the buck(s) had all the advantages in that spot. I only had permission during archery seasons, but even with a rifle I don't believe I could have pulled it off.

The amount of sign was mind boggling, and a military commander couldn't have picked a better spot for cover than that buck did.

megalomaniac

Well, the unconventional spot yielded 9 or 10 deer seen yesterday morning crossing the drain. 2 or 3 bucks (not sure if a spike was one I saw twice or two different deer).

The big 8 in the area was on camera at one of our food plots at 6:17 the evening before despite someone hunting in that stand. That lured me to a traditional spot yesterday evening... food plot on a pipeline with a feeder. And only saw one tiny doe :) Looks like I need to get back to getting away from the other hunters!

Really surprised we didn't have some bucks killed this past weekend. They were def on their feet and weather conditions were perfect for hunting.

Latest posts