Moving spots on a draw hunt

Moonman

This is a newbie question, so forgive me. Today I got caught up in the Bermuda Triangle and made a semi circle from my intended spot. I wound up allot closer to the side road than I wanted, I left about 11 and thought about going on but decided to call it a day as it wasn't warming up much and I didn't dress for the wind. What is everyone's take on moving spots while hunting on a draw hunt? I didn't want to mess up anyone else's so I pulled out and went home, but what is the rule of thumb on moving around?

MickThompson

Public land is first come first serve but try to avoid wandering around scouting during the hunt. Also a small handheld gps can help get you where you're going in unfamiliar woods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rakkin6

I pretty much only hunt public land ( Fort Campbell). Usually once I am setup I tend to stay for the day. Plus I have found that once other hunters start pulling out for the day or for lunch it actually helps get the deer up and moving.

Good luck

bambikiller423

Sounds correctly put to me. Mistakes happen every where. I hunt pretty much just public land and you will see mistakes and dumb stuff like carrying a climber deep in the woods and right at prime time some yahoo comes prancing in trying to stalk deep with a compound bow but hey it happens

bambikiller423

I'm at Yuchi myself and haven't seen a deer all day, TWRA is really wanting some does thinned down says the remaining bow hunt may get took off of the list

Rabbitkil

First time I went to oak ridge I had 6 people come by me when I was already up flashed light at them and they kept coming had a guy climb 40yds infront of me while I shined a light on him ... do what you need to do to make yourself successful everyone else would

PickettSFHunter

Georgia manages this by having mandatory stand hours. Anyone out walking around during that is asked to leave. Course I wouldn't expect TWRA to ever think of something like that. You want to see how good quota hunts are run, just go on a Georgia hunt and forget TN.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moonman

bambikiller423":1bsacn84 said:
I'm at Yuchi myself and haven't seen a deer all day, TWRA is really wanting some does thinned down says the remaining bow hunt may get took off of the list

I didn't either and talked to a few folks myself that didn't also. They said they didn't see much of any sign either.

Shanman

If I'm not happy with what I'm seeing on the first morning then I'm moving by lunch to try another stand location or find a better one. If the evening spot doesn't prevail then I'm going to a different spot the 2nd morning. Ideally in a good spot with good deer movement I'm in the stand from dark to dark. Have spent the second day on foot all day not being happy with what I find. I refuse to knowingly walk in on someone or even remotely park close to them, I don't like it done to me. If I walk up accidentally on another hunter I try my best to sneak out the way I came, never walk on through.....that's his spot. Always try and have several different stand locations picked out in case things don't work out and you show up late or something. Places like Oak Ridge take time to get to know, especially since you only get one day to scout.

bambikiller423

Like right now I've been in the tree since 12:00 and this guy comes rolling in at 4:30 which is fine except I'm deep in the woods and just shy of this ridge top that the deer drop down on me and funnel left nd right out of the holler, this cat says sorry for walking up on me but keeps trucking forward and climbs the tree right at the edge of the ridge maybe 80 yards from me, if he was my buddy maybe ok but we hunt further away then that, that's just not nice guy

catman529

I move all the time whether on a draw hunt or not. You can't claim a spot, you can leave your stand in a tree but you can't expect nobody to walk up on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

bambikiller423

Exactly moving is no big deal it's juat moving at the right time and if you bump into somebody say you're sorry and move on but don't park within the area that they are hunting get some decent distance from someone

Moonman

bambikiller423":230o03m5 said:
Like right now I've been in the tree since 12:00 and this guy comes rolling in at 4:30 which is fine except I'm deep in the woods and just shy of this ridge top that the deer drop down on me and funnel left nd right out of the holler, this cat says sorry for walking up on me but keeps trucking forward and climbs the tree right at the edge of the ridge maybe 80 yards from me, if he was my buddy maybe ok but we hunt further away then that, that's just not nice guy

Dang, I came back this afternoon about 2:30 and wound up hunting between two ridges at the stream. When I got there, there was only a white Silverado and another black newer ford. While I was getting my stuff together a guy in a older black ford pulled up and talked And asked me all about what I had in the back, bow, and that he's going to come back hunt the fields. There didn't seem to be too many out today. I didn't go this morning due to the rain and the wife wanted me to go with her to a function,. For some reason my gun getting wet don't bother me as much as my bow. My last bow wound up rusting after it lightly rained on it,

Bambi hope you had some good luck.

bambikiller423

I took a doe out sat night, didn't in the bed til 12:30 so I missed sun morning, seen 4 fawns around 2pclock Sunday eve and then the wind and rain hit. Good weekend and I did tag one out

Mike Belt

I always check my weather site before leaving home for the days "projected" weather patterns. The wind is my primary concern. On multiple occasions the wind direction has been projected to shift by mid morning. Sometimes that has dictated I get down out of my stand and either completely relocate or shift my stand in the same location I'm hunting.

Lost Lake

If I'm going to move, I try to do it during midday, so chances are I won't mess somebody else up. Usually, parking well away from anyone else cuts down on chances of bumping into one another. The exceptions are when there is a common parking area that gives access to a large hunt area. All bets are off then.

And like someone else said, if you walk in on someone, turn back around and exit the way you came. Most hunters understand it happens from time to time. No harm no foul.

catman529

Lost Lake":233umxj4 said:
If I'm going to move, I try to do it during midday, so chances are I won't mess somebody else up. Usually, parking well away from anyone else cuts down on chances of bumping into one another. The exceptions are when there is a common parking area that gives access to a large hunt area. All bets are off then.

And like someone else said, if you walk in on someone, turn back around and exit the way you came. Most hunters understand it happens from time to time. No harm no foul.
did you draw any this year? I got two gun hunts.

Lost Lake

catman529":3i9sbqaa said:
Lost Lake":3i9sbqaa said:

did you draw any this year? I got two gun hunts.

Sure did Catman. I got the first muzzleloader and a mid December rifle hunt.

Glad you were drawn!!

brianwatts

Moonman":3wmjs4on said:
bambikiller423":3wmjs4on said:

I didn't either and talked to a few folks myself that didn't also. They said they didn't see much of any sign either.

hunt all day sat. and did not see nothing my self....

Latest posts