Spots in April???

Ski

Is this an extremely early or extremely late born fawn? Obviously not a newborn. Can't say I've seen this before. The fawn looks to be a couple months old, meaning born in January or February???? That would put momma being bred in July or August. Is that correct? The time stamp is correct. I'm befuddled to say the least. Any of yall see anything like this before?

Attachments

• Spots in April.JPG
    Spots in April.JPG
    474.7 KB · Views: 149

Ski

Huh, I'd have never expected it. I grew up in Ohio and the breeding/fawning seasons are pretty tight. Having lived in TN for 7yrs I've seen a lot of nuances which I suspect is due to milder climate, but never expected to see a half grown fawn in early April. Heck I thought it was weird seeing fresh scrapes in February. Now that doesn't seem weird at all.

BSK

Unusual, but not unheard of. With the Southeastern Whitetail, breeding and birthing have been observed in every month of the year. That's Natural Selection at work - Nature trying everything to find the best match to the environment.

Ski

Here's a video. walked right up to the truck. guessing it was someones pet

Now that is weird. That deer acts like a petting zoo deer looking for a handout.

The fawn in my pic is pretty certainly whitetail as it holds close to that mother doe. I think maybe the reason it looks like it does is because it's shedding it's winter coat same time it's spots are fading. But that's just a guess.

Ski

Unusual, but not unheard of. With the Southeastern Whitetail, breeding and birthing have been observed in every month of the year. That's Natural Selection at work - Nature trying everything to find the best match to the environment.

It's been fun learning about these southern deer. Seems there's always unexpected, random surprises that keeps things interesting.

BSK

It's been fun learning about these southern deer. Seems there's always unexpected, random surprises that keeps things interesting.
And that's why I keep studying them. Every time I think I've "seen it all," they show me something I've never seen before.

Latest posts