turkey pop in southern wayne co

tnanh

nwsg76":34dbggo9 said:
On top of what scn said......Armadillo population expansion has a very similar pattern to the turkey harvest decline. It maybe coincident ?
So many states are experiencing the same issue as tn. That indicates its a biological population adjustment rather than a local issue. Only time will tell.

I know a lot of other states are having similar issues as Tennessee. But we have no time to wait to do something and the only thing that can be done right now is change the limits until somebody figures out what is going on. Even if it is one. But doing nothing until it is figured out is not the answer. It may be cutovers, armadillos, yotes, racoons or chicken houses but our wildlife managers do nothing while they complete a seven year study. That is BS. If you must complete the study change the season length and limits while you do and cancel all hen killing. This stuff is really senseless from a management standpoint. They have done absolutely nothing. And from a license holder standpoint we really shouldn't care what is happening in other states just how this one is reacting from a management standpoint.

JCDEERMAN

nwsg76":69ijdmxc said:
Armadillo population expansion has a very similar pattern to the turkey harvest decline. It maybe coincident ?
No joke! We are over-run with them in Hickman. Our turkeys have declined drastically the last 3 years. Armadillos are EVERYWHERE. We have a rule on our place to shoot every one you see. I do not go anywhere on the property without either my .17 or .223, for that purpose alone. Kill em all! :livid:

tnanh

JCDEERMAN":6wwo96bx said:
nwsg76":6wwo96bx said:
Armadillo population expansion has a very similar pattern to the turkey harvest decline. It maybe coincident ?
No joke! We are over-run with them in Hickman. Our turkeys have declined drastically the last 3 years. Armadillos are EVERYWHERE. We have a rule on our place to shoot every one you see. I do not go anywhere on the property without either my .17 or .223, for that purpose alone. Kill em all! :livid:

I shoot everyone I see and on a piece of property I had for a lot of years the turkey population improved but I am not sure that contributed. The only thing that makes me wonder is Texas is full of armadillos AND turkeys so I am not sure. I have read they raid nest and I believe it.

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
Not saying they don't, but I haven't seen any study or evidence that they are nest raiders of turkeys or quail. I thought fire ants were more likely, but turkeys are still thriving in others areas that have ants too. I still think it has more to do with bad corn getting into the system. Tennessee is one of the most moldy places I've ever seen and maybe that's what makes it so bad around here. I don't know. I do know that the population drop has been pretty sudden/dramatic in different places, slow in others and not at all or growing in others. Because of that I seems whatever is causing it needs to be something that is localized and not widespread like predators or climate change or chicken houses.

tnanh

Texas legally feeds corn but my understanding is it isn't deer corn from Walmart. Hickman, Perry, and Lewis all had a large increase in feeders because of the huge cutovers so the increased corn and habitat change could be a huge combined factor. Corn feeders are so abundant that there is no way the game warden can police them. Too many. I think the only reasonable way to regulate them may sound crazy but make them legal. Then regulate the heck out of the feed that is put in them so reject corn from other states cant be used. It is sold at Walmart and Academy as deer corn. Funny thing is, some of these people who are feeding illegally would probably stop because the certified feed would cost a lot more. I have heard it is illegal in Texas to sell Deer Corn at Walmart but I haven't visited a Walmart in Texas. May sound extreme to some people but it may be time to do something extreme instead of doing nothing.

Latest posts