Increase in cost of turkey calls especially mouth calls

REN

Ive told you guys this before... quit playing the game of thinking a 'premium' mouth call is any better than a cheaper mouth call.

I haven't spent more than $5 for any mouth call EVER... EVER! Because there is no need to. Cadence, volume, when to talk and when NOT to talk is WAY more important than HOW the call actually sounds.

I used to buy my calls at the end of the season. I'd stock up on Woodhavens for 3.99 each. MAD calls for 2.99 each.. now that their prices have gone up so much, closeouts at the end of season are 7.99 to 9.99 each.

F them, I switched to a local hunter who is a hell of a nice guy. Makes a good call for $5 each....

'Doug Smith Custom Calls' look him up of FB. And pray you aren't sharing the National Forest at the same time as him. He's got 50 years of turkey killing experience. Not many in this world who can say that.

His 2 Reed batwing is crazy easy to run, and has killed some OLD toms for me. But I like all his calls.
I couldn't find him in FB

Wildcat#32

Agreed...

But a mouth call that is $1 in materials, yet paying $15 for it is ridiculous.
If you can make em for a dollar yourself as good as the red wasp i'll gladly take several of your hands for $2.00 apiece!!! give me a break!!! A Big Mac is $10 and you flush it the next day!!!

Last edited:

REN

If you can make em for a dollar yourself as good as the red wasp i'll gladly take several of your hands for $2.00 apiece!!! give me a break!!!

I mean it's not a lot of science like pot calls or box calls. It's reed material (all use the same stuff) and how much stretch you put on it. Tape and frame are all the same stuff

megalomaniac

If you can make em for a dollar yourself as good as the red wasp i'll gladly take several of your hands for $2.00 apiece!!! give me a break!!! A Big Mac is $10 and you flush it the next day!!!
Go ahead and spend $15 per mouth call... im sure it's worth it to you. And everybody knows turkeys can tell the difference between Woodhaven calls and the others. Sheesh. It's your money. Buy your $10 big Mac. ID rather save half of that, invest it for the next 35 years and that 10 be $100 in my retirement account

Gravey

I've tried various ones over the years and always come back to the H. S. Strut cuttn 2.5. Bought a 3-pack on camofire last year and will use a year or 2 then get more. Agree that trying new ones is half the fun but I'm too cheap to pay $15 just to find out it doesn't fit me and/or sounds crappy to me.

Mossygoose

Ive told you guys this before... quit playing the game of thinking a 'premium' mouth call is any better than a cheaper mouth call.

I haven't spent more than $5 for any mouth call EVER... EVER! Because there is no need to. Cadence, volume, when to talk and when NOT to talk is WAY more important than HOW the call actually sounds.

I used to buy my calls at the end of the season. I'd stock up on Woodhavens for 3.99 each. MAD calls for 2.99 each.. now that their prices have gone up so much, closeouts at the end of season are 7.99 to 9.99 each.

F them, I switched to a local hunter who is a hell of a nice guy. Makes a good call for $5 each....

'Doug Smith Custom Calls' look him up of FB. And pray you aren't sharing the National Forest at the same time as him. He's got 50 years of turkey killing experience. Not many in this world who can say that.

His 2 Reed batwing is crazy easy to run, and has killed some OLD toms for me. But I like all his calls.
I only see Doug Smith on Instagram. Have a link to his site? I will be traveling to Jackson, MS tomorrow down I55. Is he anywhere along the way?

deerfever

A couple local of guys started making mouth calls and put them in a bait shop that's been around here for years. Great calls and not expensive. It's all I have used the last several years. The turkeys don't seem to mind my reasonably priced calls. Lol

th88

For the person who mentioned small frames:

I used Hooks for at least 7-8 years before a friend of mine sent me some to try. His frames are just a hair bigger and I can run them just as well, if not better than the Hooks. He is also a Mississippi callmaker. Check him out. I prefer the prelude (v-cut) and the specter (Ghost cut). He is now $9 call but used to be $7. I'd still much rather support a small local callmaker than the industry.

And I agree, it's ridiculous what folks want for a mouth call now. I remember when Woodhaven first jacked prices up to ~$10+ each and I thought that was crazy. Well then Primos started charging like $12 each for those green tape calls they'd sell in Wally World. Both companies literally just moved the needle forward in how much they can get away with charging. Thats the name of the game now though in the turkey hunting industry! $$$$$$

Kyboy

I have always bought several mouth calls a year to find the ones that fit my needs. But once they started getting over 10 dollars i drew the line. I bought a press and started making my own, roughly 70 cents in each call. The company's that are charging 15-20 dollars a call are robbing the piss out of people buying them.

REN I defiantly recommend buying a jig, Thad Bright makes a good little jig for like 250 bucks. I had that one and now I have one of his production press that a buddy lets me use. It's a lot of fun to play with different style of cuts and tension.

Last edited:

megalomaniac

I couldn't find him in FB
I heard back from him... he is still making calls, a little swamped right now, but he said feel free to call or text him

601-673-0427 Doug Smith

Again, this is a hobby for him, he isn't trying to become the next Primos. Hes just a 60y/o turkey hunter who is still eat up with it.

And who knows, he may be charging $10 per call now. Last time I bought 6 or 7 call from him was 2 years ago, and they were $5 each.

Wildcat#32

I heard back from him... he is still making calls, a little swamped right now, but he said feel free to call or text him

601-673-0427 Doug Smith

Again, this is a hobby for him, he isn't trying to become the next Primos. Hes just a 60y/o turkey hunter who is still eat up with it.

And who knows, he may be charging $10 per call now. Last time I bought 6 or 7 call from him was 2 years ago, and they were $5 each.
oh You think inflation may have a factor….. no way….. i bet you work for pennies on the dollar too!!!
if hes not trying to be the next primos whats his objective. congratulations on working on your retirement…. again did you work for pennies!!!

megalomaniac

oh You think inflation may have a factor….. no way….. i bet you work for pennies on the dollar too!!!
if hes not trying to be the next primos whats his objective. congratulations on working on your retirement…. again did you work for pennies!!!
Hey, I'm all about capitalism. If folks are stupid enough to spend $17 for a mouth call, then they are worth $17.

If they lose half their customers by overcharging, that may or may not hurt their bottom line. The free market will decide.

In the case of Woodhaven, i'm sure a good portion of the $17 is paying for advertising. THP and others like them have to get their cut.

As far as Doug's objective, it's just a hobby. There is no objective other than he enjoys making mouth calls and enjoys hearing stories of people killing birds with his calls.

Latest posts