Turkey Gun Project

Remington700

So at the end of the season I purchased. Franchi Affinity 3 20gauge for my daughter. I plan to get it dialed in for turkey between now and next season. I wanted a choke that would let her reach out a little ways, but be forgiving at 20 yards as well. So I think we are going to go with a .585 choke.
Next I am going to make the change to TSS with this gun. That is why we decided on the choke constriction. I have read that the Federal do not load the second shell in the Affinity 3's after the first shot. So I was looking at Apex shells. Then I stumbled on a new Remington TSS shell. Anyone know if these will be crimped or rolled? I also wonder if Winchester will come out with a TSS soon?
Anyone have any input on the above mentioned items?

Boll Weevil

I've no experience with with Remington's TSS but have tried other Remington turkey loads in the past; in a word they're terrible. The only way to really know is to try'em but conventional Remington turkey loads throw an abysmal pattern.

Remington700

Thanks for the feedback. I have always shot Winchester turkey loads. I would shoot the Federal TSS if it would cycle.

Southern Sportsman

When you say "reach out a little ways," what do you have in mind for max range? If you've never shot TSS you will probably be amazed what it will do with a more open choke - like a factory full or even Improved Modified. If you shoot a 1 1/2oz of #9s through a factory full, I would be shocked if it was not more than adequate at 40 yards with a fairly forgiving pattern from 5 to 40. .585 is a good starting point for most guns, but when I set one up for my kids I'll start more open.

Remington700

I really just meant 40 yards. I would like it to have a decent pattern at 40 and not be too tight at 15-20. After researching I figured the .585 would be a good start.

Latest posts