Try Rattling.....

tbam

So I have tried rattling over the years without success.....UNTIL this year, Ive rattled 3 times on 2 farms, had buck or bucks come in all 3 hunts looking for whats going on.....Got a good 8pt at 2pm yesterday due to him thinking my rattle bag and grunt was something else...... just some info that might help...

Bulldog25

tbam":24aayf5p said:
So I have tried rattling over the years without success.....UNTIL this year, Ive rattled 3 times on 2 farms, had buck or bucks come in all 3 hunts looking for whats going on.....Got a good 8pt at 2pm yesterday due to him thinking my rattle bag and grunt was something else...... just some info that might help...
I have been trying rattling my past few hunts with no success. Seeing your post encouraged me to try it again now. Hopefully something moves in on me.

Mike Belt

Before reading this I drug my rattling antlers out and put them in the truck. From now until the rut gets under way is the time to use them. I looked at my deke also and love to use it but I'm not really hunting anywhere this year that it would be visible to incoming bucks.

catman529

I just grabbed a couple of horns to start using this week. Didn't take them with me today but I have started carrying the grunt call again. I've never had rattling work, and grunting maybe only once, but I will use them occasionally just in case it does work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Acorn

Bulldog25":28vo8sc5 said:
How soon after rattling do y'all normally have something wander over to see what's going on?
It could be just a couple of minutes up to 30 minutes or so. Some bucks will run in fast and some will sneak in on you. Young bucks will normally come in pretty quick. The more mature bucks will be more cautious checking wind and looking to see what's going on.

Bulldog25

F250":61948hbv said:
Bulldog25":61948hbv said:
How soon after rattling do y'all normally have something wander over to see what's going on?
It could be just a couple of minutes up to 30 minutes or so. Some bucks will run in fast and some will sneak in on you. Young bucks will normally come in pretty quick. The more mature bucks will be more cautious checking wind and looking to see what's going on.

I figured it took a little bit. Just wasn't sure if it was 30 minutes or an hour or how long to expect to wait. Never been successful rattling and have been trying it more this season.

Mike Belt

When you sit up to rattle it's good to have a clear view downwind of you. A lot of the time bucks responding will try to circle in downwind to scent check for the bucks that are fighting. That's a typical response. What will really fire you up is those that don't respond that way. I've had them immediately come charging in to point blank range; eyes rolled back showing the white of their eyes, ears laid back, and hair bristled just itching to tangle with the buck/s intruding on their territory. I can promise you that when that happens you'll be sold on rattling working.

tbam

Bulldog25":2jh2lnee said:
its been within 20 minutes...the 8 point I killed literally came in running within 2 minutes

Winchester

When rattling works it can be an awesome experience, just dont depend on it consistently, very random results for me over the years.

Latest posts