Anyone ever try this?

lafn96

This will be my fist season bow-hunting, and been watching a bunch of bow hunting videos lately. While watching I got to thinking, when a deer is staring right at you and you want to get it to look away, rig up a doe bleat can away from you and run some fishing line to it. As long as your hand is hidden so they can't see the movement, pull on the string to turn the can upside down, so it makes the bleat. Would have to make sure the line isn't going to break any branches when you pull on it, and that it's heavy enough to stand up to any wear from the tree bark.

I've never seen/heard of this being done, but thinking it should work?

DMD

This will be my fist season bow-hunting, and been watching a bunch of bow hunting videos lately. While watching I got to thinking, when a deer is staring right at you and you want to get it to look away, rig up a doe bleat can away from you and run some fishing line to it. As long as your hand is hidden so they can't see the movement, pull on the string to turn the can upside down, so it makes the bleat. Would have to make sure the line isn't going to break any branches when you pull on it, and that it's heavy enough to stand up to any wear from the tree bark.

Try it. Try new things. I've had a lot of ideas others thought were nonsense that worked great for me. That's one thing that makes hunting so enjoyable.

EJ1

Reminds me of a product years ago.
Grunt tube with a long tube/hose that you would drop down once you climbed up. Supposed to make the grunt sound ground level.
Can't remember the company name that made it, but it didn't stay around long.

megalomaniac

Dude, you are overcomplicating deer hunting. If the deer is staring at you 25y away, you are busted. Maybe he will turn broadside, but be sure to aim at the bottom of his brisket when you release as he's on edge and going to duck.

Just the way it is and what makes hunting them so fun.

But for goodness sakes, don't fling an arrow at him straight on.

RockMcL

Deer are staring at you (us hunters) all the time. Many of the deer we don't see were staring at us and saw enough repeated movement to decide "something ain't right" and circled to wind then ghost.
If they can't smell you, stay still, your still in the fight...

savageman

I had a doe stare at me for 5 to 10 minutes this past year. I was up in a tree and had used a soft grunt call. She came right toward me, stopped at 25 yards looking right at me. I froze. She lowered her head like she was feeding and would raise it back up to catch me moving. Moved back and forth. I did not move. After about 5 minutes she started walking along a trail. I slowly raised my crossbow and put a bolt through her lungs.

recurve60#

Go for it. That's what hunting is about. Go do your thing and figure it out from trial and error. In the end you will have learned more than anyone can teach you.

arctic_cat

Family friend had a buddy that came up with a contraption that did this very thing. I believe he had a patent on it and everything. Family friend gave me one years ago and I put it in my hunting tote and never used it. I'll see if I still have it and take some pics.

Latest posts