Anyone ever try this?

larry ipock

Might sound crazy but I'm a big believer in no eye contact when they're staring at me.

Not crazy at all. I actually proved this idea to myself a long time ago while squirrel hunting. Sneaking along, saw a doe watching me, she kept feeding along, and watching me. This went on for a while,and I suddenly stopped and looked right at her. She left in a hurry.

Cheshire

This will be my fist season bow-hunting, and been watching a bunch of bow hunting videos lately. While watching I got to thinking, when a deer is staring right at you and you want to get it to look away, rig up a doe bleat can away from you and run some fishing line to it. As long as your hand is hidden so they can't see the movement, pull on the string to turn the can upside down, so it makes the bleat. Would have to make sure the line isn't going to break any branches when you pull on it, and that it's heavy enough to stand up to any wear from the tree bark.

I've never seen/heard of this being done, but thinking it should work?
I think that's an interesting idea 💡 and worth trying, but remember deer have a very wide field of view and there eyes are very sensitive to movement

arctic_cat

Family friend had a buddy that came up with a contraption that did this very thing. I believe he had a patent on it and everything. Family friend gave me one years ago and I put it in my hunting tote and never used it. I'll see if I still have it and take some pics.
Sorry it took so long. I finally went threw my hunting tote and came across it. It's been in my tote for probably 15 years and has never been used.

Attachments

• F9D42D7E-1896-4C8C-A691-A3C9F23A4083.jpeg
    F9D42D7E-1896-4C8C-A691-A3C9F23A4083.jpeg
    337.4 KB · Views: 46
  • 59196E5B-C339-44DB-87E1-594C9C2B9C48.jpeg
    59196E5B-C339-44DB-87E1-594C9C2B9C48.jpeg
    343.6 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

Gobble4me757

I don't look them in the eyes…idk if there is something to it but If she is staring me down, I either close my eyes or look away…really think it works tbh

backyardtndeer

Be still. That works and lot less effort. I'm not being smart but I've had them stare holes through me and as long as I move and the don't smell me eventually they go back to their business.
But don't blink. lol. I have had them in a stare down and all was seeming to get calm until an old wary momma doe sees me blink.

scn

You are better off trying to prevent the stare down to start with. And, that usually has to do with your movements in the stand.

Couch time here at the house has reinforced to me just how much quick movements can get you busted. I have a door window that when I am laying on the couch watching TV I can see the trees in my backyard. I have a tree line on the back of my lot about 85 yds away.

I can't tell you how many times I have been looking out that window with zero focus on anything when a quick movement up in those trees has triggered my attention. When I do focus on the trigger area, it usually turns out to be a squirrel jumping from limb to limb or large bird flapping its wings.

I highly suspect that deer pick up our quick movements on a regular basis. If they can't determine what it is, some are curious and come closer to check it out. That is what leads to the close range staring contest. Others that have been messed with from on high ease out of there before we even see them.

Thus, in the stand, keep your movements as slow as controlled as you can. Think about the quick movement when you reach into your pack for a snack or water bottle, or even as you raise your binos to look around. Even if deer aren't in sight, they can be out there where they will pick up a quick movement and you will never see them.

RockMcL

You are better off trying to prevent the stare down to start with. And, that usually has to do with your movements in the stand.

Couch time here at the house has reinforced to me just how much quick movements can get you busted. I have a door window that when I am laying on the couch watching TV I can see the trees in my backyard. I have a tree line on the back of my lot about 85 yds away.

I can't tell you how many times I have been looking out that window with zero focus on anything when a quick movement up in those trees has triggered my attention. When I do focus on the trigger area, it usually turns out to be a squirrel jumping from limb to limb or large bird flapping its wings.

I highly suspect that deer pick up our quick movements on a regular basis. If they can't determine what it is, some are curious and come closer to check it out. That is what leads to the close range staring contest. Others that have been messed with from on high ease out of there before we even see them.

Thus, in the stand, keep your movements as slow as controlled as you can. Think about the quick movement when you reach into your pack for a snack or water bottle, or even as you raise your binos to look around. Even if deer aren't in sight, they can be out there where they will pick up a quick movement and you will never see them.
Outstanding advice. Applies to stand time and even still hunting/stalking (part of why moving to hunt is called still hunting)

utvolsfan77

Reminds me of a product years ago.
Grunt tube with a long tube/hose that you would drop down once you climbed up. Supposed to make the grunt sound ground level.
Can't remember the company name that made it, but it didn't stay around long.
@EJ1! Flextone made it and Michael Waddell endorsed it. I have one still new-in-box that I never even opened.

Latest posts