Treestand harness question

Ski

I'm now intrigued with the rock climbing harnesses. But the obvious question is, why would a manufacturer like HSS keep producing hunting harness when it would seem cheaper & easier to produce their version of a rock climbing harness, if it's really that much better & safer? I don't understand the disconnect. Doesn't make business sense.

UCStandSitter

I'm now intrigued with the rock climbing harnesses. But the obvious question is, why would a manufacturer like HSS keep producing hunting harness when it would seem cheaper & easier to produce their version of a rock climbing harness, if it's really that much better & safer? I don't understand the disconnect. Doesn't make business sense.
I use my saddle sometimes too. Similar to the rock climbing harness in practice and you can pull double duty with it

TNDeerGuy

Because it is a business that they have cornered and convinced millions they HAVE to use this. All they have done is take standard OSHA approved full-body harnesses and made them camo and charge an exorbitant amount for a simple design. When they make millions, and have the market covered, why switch? It's all about the $$$. I'm not saying the HSS style is not safe, because it is, but rock climbing harness are built to take the same load shock (but repeatedly compared to HSS style), rock climbing harnesses don't require you to get into suspension straps ASAP, and rock climbing harnesses you will always face the tree after a fall, or can easily get back into position.

Tennessee Lead

Can't recommend The Dryad Killdeer enough. Absolutely love mine and I've been in a RC Harness a few years now. I didn't think I would find anything else I liked better until the killdeer. It's such a smaller profile and the ability to put it on like a belt versus stepping into it with boots on is so nice.
The lineman loops built into it would be very beneficial hanging stands as well.

infoman jr.

I used the HSS Reversible harness for years. I liked that it doubled as an orange vest for gun season, and the side pockets were great for storing a rangefinder and reloads for my muzzleloader. The downside is it was heavy, and adding and removing clothing layers was tedious. With a rock climbing harness, I can leave the harness on while adding or removing upper body layers, and I slip my insulated pants on over the harness and run the tether rope out of the fly.

Stayinthewoods

For me it's well worth the price for the convenience. I have a HSS (I forget the model) that is basically just a vest with the harness built into it. There's no untwisting it, stepping through loops,, trying to pack it so it don't tangle,, etc.. I literally put it on like a vest, buckle the legs and I'm on my way. One side is camo for bow season. It's reversible and the other side is orange for rifle/muzzleloader season.

In my eyes, the convenience of it is priceless. I'm on my tenth season with it.

If I'm hunting on a day where I think I may shed layers I just put it on over my base layer.

Think of it this way.... it may cost you a little up front, but then it's done. You don't have to buy one ever again unless you put on or lose a bunch of weight.... or if you actually start to fall. They advise replacing them if they are strained I believe... I could be wrong.

TNDeerGuy

For me it's well worth the price for the convenience. I have a HSS (I forget the model) that is basically just a vest with the harness built into it. There's no untwisting it, stepping through loops,, trying to pack it so it don't tangle,, etc.. I literally put it on like a vest, buckle the legs and I'm on my way. One side is camo for bow season. It's reversible and the other side is orange for rifle/muzzleloader season.

In my eyes, the convenience of it is priceless. I'm on my tenth season with it.

If I'm hunting on a day where I think I may shed layers I just put it on over my base layer.

Think of it this way.... it may cost you a little up front, but then it's done. You don't have to buy one ever again unless you put on or lose a bunch of weight.... or if you actually start to fall. They advise replacing them if they are strained I believe... I could be wrong.
HSS and TMA recommends replacing them every 5 years, or if a load has been placed on it, or it shows signs of wear

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
I am currently using the free harness that came with a stand I bought. I have seen a few ads for HSS harnesses so I checked them out.

They all seem very expensive to me and so I passed. The harness I have now works very well for me and it was free. I know my harness without buckles is slower to put on than the nicer ones with the buckles, is that all?

That leads me to ask two questions:
1.) Why would someone want to purchase a harness if the stand comes with one for free?

2.) Why are the HSS harnesses so much more expensive than others?

I don't have friends and family who hunt to ask and you folks are my BEST resource by far to ask questions to.
I will tell you the free harness that comes with a stand is only a little better than nothing. If you ever do fall and need it. Cheap harness's can still hurt you. They can leave you hanging without a good way to get down. They can Bust your Nuts . Wear it till you can get one that fits your budget. Too often they are difficult to get on, uncomfortable, bulky. You really need to go to a good Sporting goods store and try a few on. Think about what you might be wearing.
Interesting read. When you're Solo hunting the risks of hanging and not being able to get down increase.

Nsghunter

When you fall with traditional harness on if it slips or isn't adjusted properly you will be facing away from tree because it's attached in between your shoulder blades on most, my attaches to where my belt buckle is so if I fall I'll end up facing the tree and could have more options as far as grabbing the tree / stand etc
When I hunt I typically hunt with my back to the tree. It seems if the strap is at my hips in the front, that would cause issues with the strap going around towards my back.

Also, it seems if I fell, then i would snap around upon decent to facing the tree.

The attachment facing the tree makes sense when I am facing the tree to hunt though

Nsghunter

i wouldn't let a price of a safety item stand in-between me and either death or being paralyzed for life. i wore the one that came with my stand for two sets and it split me in two so i upgraded to a fat boy compliant harness.
I always wear my free harness just wondering what he benefits were to the ones you have to buy.

Rabbitkil

When I hunt I typically hunt with my back to the tree. It seems if the strap is at my hips in the front, that would cause issues with the strap going around towards my back.

Also, it seems if I fell, then i would snap around upon decent to facing the tree.

The attachment facing the tree makes sense when I am facing the tree to hunt though
We've met before and don't live far apart if you ever wanna try a rock climbing harness we can meet up abs I'll show you how I wear mine

flankston

I like the Muddy harnesses. They are pretty lightweight and have the straps you can use to stand on if you are hanging from a tree to keep circulation flowing. Not tried any of the others mentioned which I'm sure are good as well.

Latest posts