Treestand harness question

Nsghunter

I am currently using the free harness that came with a stand I bought. I have seen a few ads for HSS harnesses so I checked them out.

They all seem very expensive to me and so I passed. The harness I have now works very well for me and it was free. I know my harness without buckles is slower to put on than the nicer ones with the buckles, is that all?

That leads me to ask two questions:
1.) Why would someone want to purchase a harness if the stand comes with one for free?

2.) Why are the HSS harnesses so much more expensive than others?

I don't have friends and family who hunt to ask and you folks are my BEST resource by far to ask questions to.

WhiteJD4

i wouldn't let a price of a safety item stand in-between me and either death or being paralyzed for life. i wore the one that came with my stand for two sets and it split me in two so i upgraded to a fat boy compliant harness.

hillbillyfab

If the harnesses that are included with those stands work for you, then by all means use them. I can tell you I have a couple of the ones that have quick release buckles for the leg straps and chest strap and prefer those. I just bought my 13 year old one that has the quick release buckles also. He can put this one on without assistance unlike the other style with the buckles that weave thru on another. Like UCStandSitter comfort is definitely a factor also.

Last edited:

Ski

If you ever hunted out of a nice harness, you'd never want to use one of those supplied harnesses again. There's no comparison. I don't know that the nicer harnesses are so much safer because I've never jumped out of my stand to check. But they sure are more user friendly and comfortable.

Jcalder

I have a hss harness and absolutely hate it. Everyone talks about their comfort and it's terrible. But it's a step above what come with a tree stand purchase. If I hunted out of a stand more than 2-3 times a year I'd get a rock climbing harness.

BLOODTRAIL

2-Step Enabled
Most importantly your wearing a harness. I upgraded to the summit pro and it's more comfortable and easier to put on and take off.

Rabbitkil

How so? They seem to be completely different design. Hunting harnesses connect at shoulder height. Rock climbing harnesses connect at hip. I've heard arguments both ways but can't seem to get my head around why a rock climbing harness is better.
When you fall with traditional harness on if it slips or isn't adjusted properly you will be facing away from tree because it's attached in between your shoulder blades on most, my attaches to where my belt buckle is so if I fall I'll end up facing the tree and could have more options as far as grabbing the tree / stand etc

Gravey

How so? They seem to be completely different design. Hunting harnesses connect at shoulder height. Rock climbing harnesses connect at hip. I've heard arguments both ways but can't seem to get my head around why a rock climbing harness is better.
When you fall with traditional harness on if it slips or isn't adjusted properly you will be facing away from tree because it's attached in between your shoulder blades on most, my attaches to where my belt buckle is so if I fall I'll end up facing the tree and could have more options as far as grabbing the tree / stand etc
What he said and for me they're more comfortable. The traditional type is hot to me earlier in the season as well.

TNDeerGuy

The comfort and safety aspect of a rock-climbing harness is so far ahead of a HSS style harness, that really was designed for construction and work applications, where others are typically around you. You can layer/unlayer with ease with a rock climbing harness, you literally don't know it is on you, the tether is never in your way, it is exponentially safer in so many aspects, and so much more versatile than a "hunting harness".

I have gotten into saddle hunting the past few years, but the few times I do use a treestand, I will have my rock climbing harness on and if any of you are in the Mid-TN area, I will gladly show you how versatile and safer the rock-climbing harness is.

TN Larry

I went to a rock climbing harness several years ago and really like it. I bought it used so it was just a tad snug when I bought it. This year it got a little snugger, and I didn't shrink it in the dryer. :) So, I decided to find something a little bigger.

I ended up buying the Dryad Killdeer Harness. These guys are based out of Cookeville, and I went by their shop to try it on. It's sort of a modified rock climbing harness. Instead of stepping into it, it has buckles at the waist and at the legs. He will give you a discount as well if you go by and pick it up. I couldn't be more happier with it. Plus my son has taken over my rock climbing harness as he outgrew his so win win.

If you do go this route, make sure he throws in the straps that goes around your legs and talked about in the video below. The guy in the video is not affiliated with Dryad in any way as they didn't even know about the video until I told them.

@Tennessee Lead pointed me in the Dryad direction, and he bought one too and can give some feedback as well if anyone is interested.

TheLBLman

I am currently using the free harness that came with a stand I bought.
I've found that most coming with stands will still do the job.
Main thing is you wear it at all times.

I've bought some expensive ones over the years which I didn't like as much as some that come "free" with some stands, too!

Nearly every make has it's pros & cons.
I even like some of the "free" ones because they're not as "hot" in warmer weather.

But does sound like I should consider a rock-climbing harness.