Tree Saddle Question

Buzzard Breath

Also, how did you decide on the system you are currently using?

I hope huntincoach doesn't mind me tagging along with his thread, rather than starting an almost identical new one.

ImThere

when you buy a saddle package kit it comes with everything you need to sit but you'll need a climbing method

See you in a tree, Ricky
Tree Saddle Hunters_R_US on Tapatalk

catman529

Assuming your package came with a platform and all the ropes, all you will need is a climbing method and a pack or sling to carry your platform and climbing method. I think climbing sticks are the most popular and possibly the quickest to get up the tree. I use a moveable aider with my 3 lone wolf sticks to get an extra stick length out of them without adding a 4th stick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Buzzard Breath

Are knee pads still a necessity? I had one of the original Tree Saddles and hated it. I know they've had to come a long ways since then and I'm willing to give it a try again. But I hated wearing knee pads and leaning into the tree all day.

ImThere

Buzzard Breath":iwqr543y said:
Are knee pads still a necessity? I had one of the original Tree Saddles and hated it. I know they've had to come a long ways since then and I'm willing to give it a try again. But I hated wearing knee pads and leaning into the tree all day.
If you sit in your saddle and climb trees you straddle aka like a motorcycle, no need for knee pads. Spreading your legs like that can induce hip pinch.
With a platform I would say no also

See you in a tree, Ricky

Buzzard Breath

ImThere":5jh8h46i said:
Buzzard Breath":5jh8h46i said:
If you sit in your saddle and climb trees you straddle aka like a motorcycle, no need for knee pads. Spreading your legs like that can induce hip pinch.
With a platform I would say no also

See you in a tree, Ricky
Thanks. That makes sense.

ImThere

A saddle kit should include a saddle, bridge, tether with caribiner, linesman with carabiners
you will still need a way up the tree,
you will want a ring of steps or a platform for standing on,

I have a sitdrag, it was the my first attempt at saddle hunting, I love it i have it set up with a back band,
I also have a Aero hunter Kestrel, i find it comfortable now but it has taken me a year or 2 to get to where i think its ok,
i have several climbing sticks, I have a platform and a ring of steps, I don't use the platform often
if i was buying one today, of the ones I have been in the Heath Heart H2 is the most comfortable of traditional saddles, I will try the Phantom next time I'm around Adrian, i hear its quite comfortable,
the recon from tree topper is very comfortable, the JX3 is awesome but not a traditional saddle, there are many options,

Buzzard Breath

Is there an issue with your rearend getting cold while hunting out of a saddle? Some years, I find myself traveling to OH to bowhunt through January and staying warm is an issue for me, in even the best conditions.

ImThere

Buzzard Breath":257n6lhy said:
Is there an issue with your rearend getting cold while hunting out of a saddle? Some years, I find myself traveling to OH to bowhunt through January and staying warm is an issue for me, in even the best conditions.
I have never had an issue but I only hunt Southern Middle Tn

Shooter77

2-Step Enabled
I just jumped into the sale Tethard had and got the entire kit. I need to come up with a climbing system. I have some older sticks that i'm thinking about doing somethings to make them lighter. any good videos on hunting saddle?

Duck27

I will chime in with my 1 cents worth. I love my saddle. One thing is don't wait until bow season to get yours do it now so you can try it out before the season.

philsanchez76

Totally agree with duck. you not only need practice climbing and setting up the whole system so you can do it quietly and quickly but also make sure to practice shooting from you saddle before the season. it takes a little getting used to compared to a normal tree stand. I started with a $30 sit drag just to see if I liked it. that way if it sucked I was only out 30 bucks. Well I loved it and now I have a kestrel which has been bomb proof and very comfortable. Even did a few all days sits in it last year. Because of the saddle, my entire hunting load in is 15 pounds (not counting water and weapon which fluctuates based on what part of the season it is). climbing method I use is Bullman silent approach steps with cam buckle straps. 5 pounds for the whole climbing method. And then use 5 bullman steps on a cam for my platform.

Latest posts