Trapping yotes while you have dogs

Carlos

The leg hold traps won't hurt the dogs, I always use the ones with rubber on the jaws.
I accidentally caught 2 of my neighbors dogs and 1 cat. They were all released mostly unharmed, maybe a sore foot for a few days. (These are neighbors who live over 400 yards away and let their pets roam free.)

buckaroo

The leg hold traps won't hurt the dogs, I always use the ones with rubber on the jaws.
I accidentally caught 2 of my neighbors dogs and 1 cat. They were all released mostly unharmed, maybe a sore foot for a few days. (These are neighbors who live over 400 yards away and let their pets roam free.)
I've thought of that, but would be terrible if some yotes or bear attacked them in trap

Carlos

Yes, that would be tough.

I had to use a couple of 6ft 2x2's to release the German shepherd. He was quite upset, but calmed down as soon as I got his foot loose. He bit down on the wood several times, understandably.

Carlos

Make sets with them watching you, fire the traps in front of them so that they understand to stay clear. Make some sets around the house using rat traps, use the baits and lures that you will be using in your yote sets. Basically make them trap shy, they'll figure it out.
That's a great idea.

hammer33

I have caught both our dogs in foot holds when they dug out of the yard. One just sat there until I let her out. The other was flipping out. Nipped the neighbor who was trying to let him out of the trap. Both know the deal with traps now. The one will circle 10 feet around a trap. The girl will stay a couple feet away and just look at a set as she goes by.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I've thought of that, but would be terrible if some yotes or bear attacked them in trap
One of my friends neighbor has two sons that got into trapping a few years ago.
They were VERY good at it too.
Their family lab got into one of the traps one night and the coyotes got her.
Absolutely horrible scene.

wildlifefarmer

I've caught several domestic dogs and cats. 90% of the dogs will just sit there waiting on you to help. I do cover the dogs head with a towel or coat. Some I use a catch pole if they are aggressive. Knock on wood, I haven't had a mishap and most will be your best buddy when released. Now cats are a different breed. They are usually wild n crazy. All releases of the domestics may be sore but are fine in a couple of days. However I feel sorry for them cause I let all neighbors know that I am trapping on my property. Please keep the pets from roaming.

Speedwell-Hunter

You are very kind. Ish like that dont happn out east bub!!!

RockMcL

I have used a piece of plywood with notch cut out to go over trapped leg
I use a catch pole. More issues with cats here than dogs but will add the plywood trick to my kit this year. Probably use both. Never had a dog act up once free but, never underestimate a dog or cat that is feeling abused.

We have very few improperly cared for dogs around here but a couple big pups two ridges over aren't done training their owners yet on containment...

Latest posts