Food Plots Tractor question.

muddyboots

I have a John Deere 3038e I've had 5 years. It works fine with 5 foot equipment. The dealer has offered me a really great trade in price for it. So I'm thinking of going bigger so I can use 6 foot equipment. My question is if your 2 choices were a 45 hp 4x4 or 55hp 2wd in the 5 series. Which would u choose and why? Thanks in advance.

JCDEERMAN

I don't know anything about those tractors - sorry. I will say we have a 79hp Ford 2wd and I would give anything for a 4wd and a front end loader. Do either of the 2 you're looking at have a front end loader? For our implements, we need as much weight up front as possible, plus with a loader, so much more work could get done

1908_Cubbies

I personally would go with the 45hp one. This may sound weird, but the 55 sits in a tough space for attachments. Many implements that are about the right size for it run a sub 50hp gear box unless you get heavy duty stuff. Go look at the ratings on most 6ft cutters. It may not be an issue to have a little to much HP, but it worries me. I bought a Deere 5403 (72hp) a few years ago and somewhat regret it. It's too powerful for implements in the ideal weight range. If I get stuff rated for my HP, it's almost too heavy for my little tractor.

backyardtndeer

For my needs on my property a 4wd and a loader are absolutely necessary. Really depends on your property and needs. That being said, my kubota 47 HP will run my 7ft hd bushhog. The 47 HP kubota is rated for 7 ft. I wish I had a bigger cab tractor with air though.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
I grew up on 2wd tractors up to 110 hp. Back then nobody had 4wd tractors that i am aware of and we did fine. I currently own a Massey Ferguson 451 2wd, small HD 45hp with a front end loader and I work the tar out of it. It does almost everything I ask it to do but I do find myself short on traction at times. Having a 4wd would solve that issue. You have to be doing some pretty big work for a 45hp 4wd to not handle it. On the gearbox issue I prefer a bigger rating than my tractors potential output. I would rather an event stall the engine or break a universal joint than destroy the gearbox. Know that their is a big difference in tractor duty ratings. A 45hp heavy duty is worth more in life, wear, capability than a 65hp light duty

DoubleRidge

I have the JD 5103 50hp 2WD with front end loader. Great tractor. Pulls 8 foot bush hog no problem and if I keep the tractor where it belongs I don't have any problem.....but I will admit there are times when doing loader work that I wish I had 4WD....also on hills 4WD is nice...but honestly either tractor your looking at will get allot of work done....but if I had to choose I'd select the 45hp 4WD....and with either tractor a front end loader is a must...so handy.

tellico4x4

4wd really helps small to midsize tractors & a fel is a must in my opinion. We have a 34 & 52 hp, both 4wd & loaders.

No way we could have some of the plots we have without both options. Two plots down in bottom of hollow sometimes require a scoop of rocks out of creek to get back up the hill. Several years ago a buddy that took his tractor down there said that there was just something wrong with diesel fuel running out of filler neck when coming up the hill!!

Last edited:

deerhunter10

We farm and only have 2wd tractors granted the are 70 to 110hp. The 55 horse is what I would go with I don't value 4wd on tractors like most. I will always say you can do a small job with a bigger tractor but you can't do a big job with a small tractor. 65 to 80 horse if you can jump to that is a giant difference. But going to a 50 horse tractor will get you into a line of implements that will be better. What ever you do get a remote on either one.

muddyboots

I don't know anything about those tractors - sorry. I will say we have a 79hp Ford 2wd and I would give anything for a 4wd and a front end loader. Do either of the 2 you're looking at have a front end loader? For our implements, we need as much weight up front as possible, plus with a loader, so much more work could get done
Yes my current tractor has one and both of the choices. Didn't think I needed one. Now I have to have one. I never knew how many things I need to pick up. Lol

Latest posts