Thieves and poachers!!!

MUP

DoubleRidge":5qfvdvr7 said:
Bit of a pipe dream.....but I'd like to see some tech savvy trail camera operator rig a camera with an ink dye bomb like the bank uses in robbers money bag......mount ink bomb cam at eye level with other cameras mounted up high to video the process of the thief getting blasted with ink..... environmentally friendly ink of course....FDA approved....non acidic.... nothing to permanently hurt or mame anyone....just something that would dye their hands and face for a good week or two.....yea I know....pipe dream.....fun to think about though.

That's been done, but unfortunately the guy who did it was prosecuted by the "victim", even tho said "victim" was trespassing when he triggered it. :roll:

TreyB

One comment on the video was a good idea... Instead of paint put doe in heat out to spray them. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

ttf909

look up mark rober on YouTube and his glitter bomb for package thieves. retired NASA engineer . would be willing to bet he could sell the gitter bomb , doe n heat spraying , GPS enabled trail cam to hunters ticked off about theft .

DoubleRidge

MUP":1iyg1co9 said:
DoubleRidge":1iyg1co9 said:
Bit of a pipe dream.....but I'd like to see some tech savvy trail camera operator rig a camera with an ink dye bomb like the bank uses in robbers money bag......mount ink bomb cam at eye level with other cameras mounted up high to video the process of the thief getting blasted with ink..... environmentally friendly ink of course....FDA approved....non acidic.... nothing to permanently hurt or mame anyone....just something that would dye their hands and face for a good week or two.....yea I know....pipe dream.....fun to think about though.

That's been done, but unfortunately the guy who did it was prosecuted by the "victim", even tho said "victim" was trespassing when he triggered it. :roll:

Sounds about right........watched the video and must admit.....the shotgun paint blast startled me.....I can only imagine the tresspasser!! .....oh well....hope the judge wasnt too harsh on the property owner.

DoubleRidge

ttf909":10dklb51 said:
look up mark rober on YouTube and his glitter bomb for package thieves. retired NASA engineer . would be willing to bet he could sell the gitter bomb , doe n heat spraying , GPS enabled trail cam to hunters ticked off about theft .

Yes!! I've seen the glitter bomb videos!! Great idea!!....those videos are hilarious!!

TreyB

ttf909":1t0llvzx said:

Yep... Watch him a lot. I love how he put the police talking into it this year.

Deerhunter47

They steal hunting rights that aren't theirs. Nothing but common low rent thieves. All of them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Headhunter

Pretty easy for me, I don't use cameras and don't care to. To me it takes away from "hunting". Well you are hunting with cameras, not actually hunting. Not bashing cameras, but to me their only use is to catch trespassers and poachers, which I would use them for.

TX300mag

docpoco":1diavm2i said:
Headhunter":1diavm2i said:
Pretty easy for me, I don't use cameras and don't care to. To me it takes away from "hunting". Well you are hunting with cameras, not actually hunting. Not bashing cameras, but to me their only use is to catch trespassers and poachers, which I would use them for.

I'll play devils advocate with you here.

It sure is cool to see deer grow from year to year. And also, I've learned a LOT about deer movement on our property from cameras.

And just deer in general.

...until your neighbor kills them. :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ski

Headhunter":3s1oggro said:

I hunted nearly 40yrs without cameras, certainly long enough to qualify my opinion. I scout, watch the weather, play the wind, shift stands, hike deep to avoid pressure, sit in the cold & rain & snow, etc. Cameras do none of that for me. When I do encounter an animal I wish to harvest, I have to execute a clean shot, track a blood trail, dress the animal, and drag it out. Once out I butcher & pack it myself. Cameras do none of that for me. No knife but my own touches the animal. It goes from the wild to my freezer to my gut with no detours. My family feasts on wild game that's harvested & butchered by me alone. We don't buy meat. And it feels good. It's hard work, pure, honest, and clean. It's one of the few truly righteous things I can cling to in this corrupt world outside of God & family. The cameras give me none of that.

I must confess that while I mostly enjoy bow hunting, I do use a compound bow. I grew up with a recurve but man that Hoyt is fast! In a few years when i'm older I might have to use a crossbow. If that doesn't work I might really cheat & use a rifle.....with a scope :shock: And I probably shouldn't say it out loud, but I have been considering buying a game cart for those long drags. I guess since I'm already not a real hunter then I may as well break all the rules & use an ATV!!!!

Seriously, it's a slippery slope when you begin dictating what hunting is, who is actually a real hunter & who isn't. It's fair to say none of us meet the standard of hunting without tools. Cameras are merely another tool like rubber boots or a 30/06. Some of us utilize more tools than others, or a different set of tools altogether. But we're all hunting. If you outlined your style of hunting with a list of things you use, no doubt somebody would try to out "real hunter" you. It's nonsense. If you're within your legal limits & means, and putting wild meat on the table, then you're a hunter. You may not do it the way I do it. You might even be better at it than me. Doesn't matter. We both feel the same nervous rush when near a big buck. We both feel the same sense of accomplishment when we put him down. And we both look back fondly on the memory of all the hard work & honest harvest. That's what it's all about, IMO, not the specific tools you used along the way.

Headhunter

Ski":3y9p2e1m said:
Headhunter":3y9p2e1m said:

I hunted nearly 40yrs without cameras, certainly long enough to qualify my opinion. I scout, watch the weather, play the wind, shift stands, hike deep to avoid pressure, sit in the cold & rain & snow, etc. Cameras do none of that for me. When I do encounter an animal I wish to harvest, I have to execute a clean shot, track a blood trail, dress the animal, and drag it out. Once out I butcher & pack it myself. Cameras do none of that for me. No knife but my own touches the animal. It goes from the wild to my freezer to my gut with no detours. My family feasts on wild game that's harvested & butchered by me alone. We don't buy meat. And it feels good. It's hard work, pure, honest, and clean. It's one of the few truly righteous things I can cling to in this corrupt world outside of God & family. The cameras give me none of that.

I must confess that while I mostly enjoy bow hunting, I do use a compound bow. I grew up with a recurve but man that Hoyt is fast! In a few years when i'm older I might have to use a crossbow. If that doesn't work I might really cheat & use a rifle.....with a scope :shock: And I probably shouldn't say it out loud, but I have been considering buying a game cart for those long drags. I guess since I'm already not a real hunter then I may as well break all the rules & use an ATV!!!!

Seriously, it's a slippery slope when you begin dictating what hunting is, who is actually a real hunter & who isn't. It's fair to say none of us meet the standard of hunting without tools. Cameras are merely another tool like rubber boots or a 30/06. Some of us utilize more tools than others, or a different set of tools altogether. But we're all hunting. If you outlined your style of hunting with a list of things you use, no doubt somebody would try to out "real hunter" you. It's nonsense. If you're within your legal limits & means, and putting wild meat on the table, then you're a hunter. You may not do it the way I do it. You might even be better at it than me. Doesn't matter. We both feel the same nervous rush when near a big buck. We both feel the same sense of accomplishment when we put him down. And we both look back fondly on the memory of all the hard work & honest harvest. That's what it's all about, IMO, not the specific tools you used along the way.

Nice reply, but I said not bashing cameras, and where did I "dictate" anything. Well if you hunt with cameras, meaning pattern animals with a camera, then that is shooting, not hunting. Legal but not hunting.

And Cameras are NOT merely another tool, if they were then Pope and Young and Boone and Crockett would not dictate if you kill a deer that you used a camera that sends pictures to you to harvest an animal, it is not allowed in the record book. That is not merely another tool.

I still believe hunting, whether with a recurve, compound, or crossbow, or whatever legal gun is "getting in the woods and hunting", not having someone or a camera do all the work for you. I do realize some people need help, I am all for helping and educating, especially those that have physical issues and kids and new hunters, but there are many who are great shooters but if made them actually hunt, they would be lost.

As many TV shows do, they don't hunt, they are told when and where the deer has been showing up and they shoot it. I cannot count the number of bucks that I know of that were killed because they had been patterned, (not by the hunter but by someone else or a camera and the shooter, not a hunter, paid a large sum of money and showed up to shoot the buck). not hunting in my book and never will be.

Cameras are great tool for herd management, but if they are used to pattern a deer, or any animal, and kill it, it is shooting, not hunting.

So many tell me they literally go to the woods or not by what they see on camera. It is legal and that is their deal and I for sure don't look down or think I am better than them, but I believe they probably miss opportunities to kill deer because they rely on cameras and if you kill a deer you patterned with a camera, you might as well be playing a video game.

MUP

Also, hunting is not dependant upon B&C rules and regs either. I would also venture to say that most folks who use tcams don't "pattern" the deer to start with. I use tcams for dual purpose use, mostly to get pics of deer, and also to get pics of trespassers. I've not actually attempted to "pattern" deer, just look at the pics I get of them and wonder if they'll be there when hunting season rolls around. I've only one time ever killed a buck that I had a pic of, and guess what? It was on the cams AFTER the season when I changed cards and batteries. I generally leave my cams out from Feb thru Aug, then change out cards and batteries, then leave them out till after season again. I don't think that resembles hunting with tcams in the least. I've even forgotten where I put one or two before. :p

DoubleRidge

Headhunter":2iaauvd3 said:

I get what you're saying....and that's cool..... everyone has different ideas and methods.... .to me they add to my hunting experience..... When I have pictures of a particular mature buck it helps me be patient and hunt harder....and it helps me lay off less mature bucks that don't meet our management goals.....I run 6 cameras on two different properties and may go an entire season, by choice, without pulling the trigger.....now I will say that I do not have any cellular cameras.....but honestly I'd love too.....not so I could speed off to the farm and attempt to get out in front of a buck.....but more so to reduce the number of trips I take into the areas I run cameras.....for some that convenience may take away from the hunting experience? ....for me it wouldn't.....as far as P&Y regs.....it wasn't too many years ago they wouldn't accept 80 or 85% let off bow entries..... someday I'd imagine as more cameras convert to cellular technology the rules may change...may not? Time will tell.....I've hunted with trail cams and without...recurve and compound....side hammer and inline.....public land and private.....in state and out of state.....loved it all.....and enjoyed the hunt.....and I've killed bucks that I have cam pictures of....and it didn't take anything away from the hunt....if anything it added to the history I had with that particular buck and the memories.....but hey, each to their own....as long as it's legal.

Headhunter

First I have nothing against cameras and I do not think they should be illegal. They do have their place. But there is no denying that many hunt or don't hunt by when and what pics they are getting on camera. I know of 2 guys who hunt in Belle Meade, in subdivisions, and he told me to my face that they only hunt when a good buck shows up on camera, if they don't have pics, they don't hunt. To me that is not hunting, that is using a camera, a way to watch the deer without being there and only hunting when the "camera" says you should. I am sure many only use a camera to see what is using the area they hunt, whether it is deer, bears, (or what I would use them for trespassers), or mountain lions, or whatever, they are an awesome tool and have a place.

I personally know of a deer killed this year, 150" deer, the guy had a camera sending pics to his cell phone, it showed up 2 days in a row, same time, 3rd day he got there just before the time the camera had sent pics to his phone, he killed it. To me that is more about being a good shot than hunting. I know another guy who asked his buddies to stay away from an area of a farm in Tennessee they hunted because he got pics of an easy 160" deer 3 days in a row, he walked in to check his cameras, and that was fine with the other guys. He never saw the deer, actually no one did, i know just because you have pics doesn't mean you will see the deer much less kill it, but if he had killed that deer at the time it showed up on camera, where is the hunting in that? All you have to do is be able to hide and and make a good shot.

MUP, I never said anyone in particular (except for the people who have personally told me they do) uses cameras to pattern deer, but I would bet more use them to pattern deer than not. Just human nature if you have cameras out and you start getting pics of a really good buck in the daylight, I bet most would hunt more just because of the pics. and I know the record keeping clubs do not make things legal or illegal and I most likely will never kill a B&C buck, I have a a couple P&Y bucks, but in the hunting world, ethics mean a lot and many laws are up to the hunter to follow. I don't agree with every single thing pertaining to clubs, but their rules of fair chase are hard to argue with in my opinion.

Doubleridge, I do not see them EVER changing the rules about cameras. If they do, might as well legalize drones, heck add a gun to the drones.

If they are used for the purpose of attempting to pattern deer, that is not hunting, legal or illegal, meaning this deer is showing up on camera at whatever time every day, so you plan to be at that spot at that particular time and the deer shows up when the camera shows it does, that is shooting what your camera told you is there. If you are using your camera to kill a deer then you are shooting and not hunting and I will tell anyone that. Might as well put a remote controlled gun there and push a button and shoot the deer with it.

One last point, and I think many agree, so many hunting shows, I have basically never watched them and rarely if ever do, whatever animal they are after, the animals are patterned or baited or located by someone other than the hunter and the hunter is told about it, told a price and shows up and shoots the animal. To me that has nothing to do with hunting. I personally know a couple of guys who have shows. Some are for sure good hunters, some couldn't "hunt" an animal if their life depended on it, all have MONEY and most if not all their shows are related to how much they can spend to kill an animal. That does not appeal to me.

MUP

Headhunter":3k46z4kf said:
MUP, I never said anyone in particular (except for the people who have personally told me they do) uses cameras to pattern deer, but I would bet more use them to pattern deer than not. Just human nature if you have cameras out and you start getting pics of a really good buck in the daylight, I bet most would hunt more just because of the pics. and I know the record keeping clubs do not make things legal or illegal and I most likely will never kill a B&C buck, I have a a couple P&Y bucks, but in the hunting world, ethics mean a lot and many laws are up to the hunter to follow. I don't agree with every single thing pertaining to clubs, but their rules of fair chase are hard to argue with in my opinion.

You could very well be right. I'm just going by my personal observations, as well as my personal experience. I only hunt my property anyway, and only on days I have off work, so I couldn't really just take off when a pic came thru on my phone of a big buck passing a camera. I don't have cell coverage on the majority of my land so the cell cams are not even an option anyway. And like I mentioned earlier, I basically check my cams twice a year anyway.

Latest posts