Thermal Optics during the day: Legal or No?

Planking

7. Use or possession of the following equipment is prohibited:
Any electronic light amplifying night vision scope, thermal imaging device, or device while in possession of a firearm or archery tackle between sunset and sunrise.

Unless you are hunting from a motorized vehicle in a public road then you can use them at night. We found that one out the hard way when all the poachers started showing up at our house.

mike243

You keep repeating this and the only folks that are allowed are hog hunters with a permit from twra, not just everybody can use them, they posted the main info right up from your reply, you act like everybody can use them, they offer nothing in the daytime as far as I know, post the info if you have it please.

Planking

You keep repeating this and the only folks that are allowed are hog hunters with a permit from twra, not just everybody can use them, they posted the main info right up from your reply, you act like everybody can use them, they offer nothing in the daytime as far as I know, post the info if you have it please.
You don't have a clue what you are talking about. There are no permit holders that are using them in the street in front of mine and my neighbors house at night. They do it right in front of the game wardens. Ive seen at least 50 of them do it. They do not get stopped for it unless they see them shoot. It is a loophole in the way the outdated law is written that TWRA has not yet fixed according to the game wardens. Ask them yourself.

clwg97

2-Step Enabled
So tired of hearing this broken record

Planking

As long as we have to put with them and spend money to fight them then you are going to keep hearing the broken record from me.

PickettSFHunter

I know a lot of coon hunters are using the thermal monoculars now to confirm whether the dog has treed for sure or not, you would know in just a minute. I could see a squirrel hunter doing the same for competition hunts.

BPhunter

Someone in TN needs to really come up with the correct answer/law here before someone is paying a big fine and getting their equipment confiscated by "da po-lice"!

scn

Someone in TN needs to really come up with the correct answer/law here before someone is paying a big fine and getting their equipment confiscated by "da po-lice"!
Proclamation 23-08, Manner and Means
Section II, Prohibited Acts:
f. Any electronic light amplifying night vision scope, thermal imaging device, or other similar devices while in possession of a firearm or archery tackle between sunset and sunrise

With it saying sunset and sunrise, that deviates from the normal shooting hours of one half hour before legal sunrise and one half hour after legal sunset.

DaveTN

We used to have Wardens post on here. But like any LE thread, they got tired of people arguing and posting made up BS. So I don't guess any of them want to do it anymore.

I'm not a Warden, but I posted the text with a link. As we always say; it's up to each individual to determine what they think that says, they are the only ones that will be responsible for their interpretation.

Planking

Not correct.
Well you need to tell the game wardens in Overton County that then because i asked him a few weeks ago if that loophole had been closes yet that letting them road hunt at night with hand held thermals and he said nothing had changed. Good to know he is not correct.

DaveTN

Well you need to tell the game wardens in Overton County that then because i asked him a few weeks ago if that loophole had been closes yet that letting them road hunt at night with hand held thermals and he said nothing had changed. Good to know he is not correct.
Just out of curiosity, what's the short version of what the "loophole" is??
(No, I didn't read all the pages of the other thread)

BPhunter

We used to have Wardens post on here. But like any LE thread, they got tired of people arguing and posting made up BS. So I don't guess any of them want to do it anymore.

I'm not a Warden, but I posted the text with a link. As we always say; it's up to each individual to determine what they think that says, they are the only ones that will be responsible for their interpretation.
Call and get verbal clarification or text and get written clarification.

Latest posts