OPENING DAY

hoghunter65

Haven't missed an opening day dove hunt in 40 years, but as I get older I can't stand the heat like I used to, Thursday is going to be in the 90's, you can't start shooting until noon, and the birds don't start flying good until up in the evening, think I'm going to piddle around the house, fire up the grill and watch Tn play Ball st Thursday evening, and hit the dove field on the 3rd, get there about daylight and hunt until it starts getting hot.

Crappieaddict

The dove opener was very important to me when I was a teenager. Squirrel hunt in the morning and then off to the dove field. We would drive to find a freshly cut field and knock on the door and ask permission. Very rarely were we denied access. Now, finding a place to hunt is very difficult. You either lease or go to a public field. I've done both, and the chance of getting shot is high. I've been shot in a field where I joined a lease. Too many of the opening day "party" "hunters" don't understand the possible ramifications of shooting at a low bird. Long post to say that I will be sitting out the opener!

atnvol

I could care less to get another limit of dove, but I still do it. Why, because here on our farm it has been a tradition. I will be a young 70 in November, but I am still tending our food plots. We usually do not start at noon and wait to about 3pm (ET) to begin the hunt. Usually by 6pm everyone will have their limits. That way we are not slap worn out from the intense late summer heat. I love to see my daughter in laws participate. Its a lot of fun once they start flying good. I went to bass pro last week and I bought several cases of 12 and 20 gauge shells for everyone. I love the tradition and I love being able to make everyone happy. The little woman prepares a big spread for dinner and we laugh and you can feel the special bond that this hunt creates. I am grateful to the Good Lord for the blessings that he has given me to be able to do this.

killingtime 41

I could care less to get another limit of dove, but I still do it. Why, because here on our farm it has been a tradition. I will be a young 70 in November, but I am still tending our food plots. We usually do not start at noon and wait to about 3pm (ET) to begin the hunt. Usually by 6pm everyone will have their limits. That way we are not slap worn out from the intense late summer heat. I love to see my daughter in laws participate. Its a lot of fun once they start flying good. I went to bass pro last week and I bought several cases of 12 and 20 gauge shells for everyone. I love the tradition and I love being able to make everyone happy. The little woman prepares a big spread for dinner and we laugh and you can feel the special bond that this hunt creates. I am grateful to the Good Lord for the blessings that he has given me to be able to do this.
That is an awesome post. I could feel your happiness just by reading. That's a great tradition and I'm happy your are blessed to be able to make it happen.

Latest posts