The one that almost came home with me....

gobblinfool

I hope the picture attaches. Before I shot my 10pt on Saturday night I had this 8pt at 15yds, he came in a way I wasn't expecting and he saw me move.....when he did a 180 I saw how big he was. I figured I wasn't getting a shot...until he popped out on my right at 35yds. I shot him with the rangefinder, but he went back in the woods before I could shoot. Something to look forward to in 4 weeks....

Attachments

• WGI_0120 (1).JPG
    WGI_0120 (1).JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 1,530

Mike Belt

I'd be looking for him come season as well! Hopefully you just learned a valuable lesson that may benefit you in the future. Pre-range your distances! Pick out landmarks within your shooting comfort zone, range them, and memorize them. Just as you experienced, sometimes you don't have time to do that AND get a shot off. I do this when I first hang a stand enough times that I'm comfortable knowing how far any given potential shot may be and never have to carry my rangefinder again to that specific location. Back when I had land leased that had several tower stands overlooking fields, etc. I even drew maps with yardages marked at certain landmarks in those locations and posted them inside those stands.

gobblinfool

Mike Belt, what you said is done numerous times.....but when a buck comes out in the middle of beans it is tough to get a landmark...it's not a big deal, i am grateful to have been that close to him, if I had better situational awareness and he hadn't seen me move he probably would have gone to the mud puddle and gotten a drink....and then a ride home with me.

Latest posts