The one chance

MUP

I've lived this for years on my place, and some of the past hunts still haunt my mind every deer season. I've always had to try to overcome waiting on the "perfect shot" to take while hunting these hardwoods on my place, and to force myself to know that the first good shot opportunity I have at a good buck should be taken, else you may not get another chance. Well, Friday was another one to add to those memories. I had been in the stand that morning and had seen a few does pass behind me. FF to about 10:30. I was about to start climbing down when I saw a deer run across the ridge up above me at about 130 yards or so, then another one came in chasing that one, then another one ran in just below those other two that were running around, then, I see this big dark figure stiff legging across the ridge toward the other lone deer. Immediately scoped it and saw that it was a buck. Meanwhile those other two were running crazy back and forth just above these two, up and over the ridge, then back again, over and over. I kept the scope on him as he walked thru the trees and could eventually see that he was a good buck... Then he turned and I saw the most massive left side antler I have ever seen out there. I followed him every step, trying to get an opening for a clean shot, and finally, he turned down the ridge for a split second and I could have taken a narrow shot between two trees as he passed, but I had been holding the rifle up so long that I was beginning to shake and was unsteady for the shot, so I quickly decided to pause, take a breath and try to steady myself and keep trying to get on him. When I got back on the scope, I was looking for him and I noticed those other two deer run up the hill again and over the ridge. So I kept scanning, and scanning, and couldn't see him. I thought they had likely bedded down in a thick patch of holly up there. So I kept waiting and watching. Long story longer, they weren't there anymore. Those two deer that I thought were the other two younger deer were actually the giant and his doe that decided to run up and over the ridge too. 😩 This lesson that I continually fail to learn, pass a test on it for a few years, then fail the exam again, are hard to take, especially when you're not sure how many hunts you may have left in you. And to the title of the thread, I have had this happen a couple of times before, when I didn't take the FIRST shot presented by a big buck, and I never saw them again the entire season. This one however, would have likely been the biggest heavy antlered buck of all I have ever had a chance at. Sorry for the long read but just had to get that out of my system. :)

MUP

Hopefully you will see him again.
I'll continue to hunt when I can, but I'm out of PTO time this year bc of unforseen circumstances, and will only be able to hunt the weekends now. After seeing that buck, I hunted all day in that stand to see if she would bring him back, coming home that evening and ate a piece of cake for supper, went to bed, got up and hunted all day yesterday without anything at all to eat, save the 4 cups of coffee out of my thermos. I tried as hard as I could to be out there every minute to catch him coming thru again but just wasn't fortunate to see him again.

Ridgeline300

I've got shooting lanes on my own property big enough to drive a dump truck through because that kept happening to me years ago and I got tired of it. Wish I could do this on some public I hunt often lol. Big timber is hard to hunt. One, you can't cover enough ground and two, if your lucky enough to see him getting a shot could be tricky.

Ski

I've got some of those myself. Akin to the girl you really liked but never asked. Haunting for sure but you didn't maim him with a foul shot, and that would feel even worse.

The shooting lanes mentioned by Ridgeline300 are a great idea. Would provide extra edges too, which is never a bad thing in habitat.

TDW05

2-Step Enabled
All it takes it one doe buddy. He may very well come back. Probably not as near the pressure on your place as surrounding properties.

Wrangler95

Tough luck for sure but it also has happened to me this season!Good buck got away without a chance to kill him.Hope you see him again Mup!!

Gravey

Waiting for the perfect shot sometimes cost us all on a deer but I think it has to do with wanting to take the best ethical shot that humanely kills the deer quickly. Any doubt at that time prevents squeezing the trigger and that's ok. Good luck meeting up with him again. I'm hoping to cross paths with the one I shot during muzzleloader.

Last edited:

MUP

Just feels good to air it out with you guys who I know have likely faced the very same scenario! It's tough! They're 8 does, maybe 11 on my place that I've counted in my limited time out there this season. They are skittish so hopefully they haven't been bred yet and he'll be moving from one to another and I'll get another chance. But I've seen a few younger bucks moving thru too so there is competition and time is of the essence! And time I don't have much of! And, looks like that dang rainy pattern is coming back just in time for the weekend's!! 😫

thale51

I know how you feel! I saw a really nice 8 point on Thursday, but there was just enough limbs in the way between us for me to not feel comfortable taking the shot. I haven't seen him since then and I've hunted Friday and Saturday. I'm hunting on some permission-given ground, but I definitely need to put some work in this off season and open up some shooting lanes. I just struggle with how much to cut and don't want to make it so wide-open that they can pick me off easily in the stand. Hopefully you'll get another chance at him!

DeerCamp

Bad shots happen, but it's almost become too common to "call a tracking dog" or "get the drone guy to come out".

I figure you'd feel a lot worse if you'd wounded and never found him.

That said, if you are shooting a sufficient caliber rifle, you may be passing up perfectly lethal shots.

Either way, he's still out there.

MUP

I know how you feel! I saw a really nice 8 point on Thursday, but there was just enough limbs in the way between us for me to not feel comfortable taking the shot. I haven't seen him since then and I've hunted Friday and Saturday. I'm hunting on some permission-given ground, but I definitely need to put some work in this off season and open up some shooting lanes. I just struggle with how much to cut and don't want to make it so wide-open that they can pick me off easily in the stand. Hopefully you'll get another chance at him!
There's a problem too, when they get within 100 yards or so a wise old doe will pick you out on the side of a tree if the angle is right for her! I had several does under my stand yesterday feeding, and occasionally they would look up at me lol They would stick their nose straight up trying to wind me but the wind was right and blowing from them to me. :)

thale51

There's a problem too, when they get within 100 yards or so a wise old doe will pick you out on the side of a tree if the angle is right for her! I had several does under my stand yesterday feeding, and occasionally they would look up at me lol They would stick their nose straight up trying to wind me but the wind was right and blowing from them to me. :)
Yep, I've had the same thing happen to me in that stand that I'm in. As long as I don't move, they'll keep looking up to try and spot me but they'll keep walking. I'm probably going to move that stand once the season is over to a spot that offers a little more cover for the stand, but then cut shooting lanes where I have open shots around me.

Hduke86

He'll slip up and you'll make him pay for it. I expect a call when it happens and you need help getting him out. My boys and myself will jump on the opportunity to come down off the mountain and help you drag and recover it brother so don't hesitate to call me cause I'm always flexible with my schedule during deer season.

MUP

He'll slip up and you'll make him pay for it. I expect a call when it happens and you need help getting him out. My boys and myself will jump on the opportunity to come down off the mountain and help you drag and recover it brother so don't hesitate to call me cause I'm always flexible with my schedule during deer season.
I know it buddy, but hopefully with the jet sled I'll be able to handle him this time! 👍 you'll get the first pic if I do tho!

MUP

Yep, I've had the same thing happen to me in that stand that I'm in. As long as I don't move, they'll keep looking up to try and spot me but they'll keep walking. I'm probably going to move that stand once the season is over to a spot that offers a little more cover for the stand, but then cut shooting lanes where I have open shots around me.
I was eyeing some different trees to set up in to help with seeing that area they were in also yesterday! 👍

Latest posts