The one chance

Snake

If anyone has hunted long enough and has hunted wooded terrain it has happened to them . Only thing is you'll probably still remember that one buck as long as you live . Had that happen in Giles Co. one year seen the biggest buck I've ever seen in the wild. He was within about 75 yards but the tree beside the one I was in just had too many limbs for a clean shot . I was hunting with ole trusty Marlin 45-70 at the time and if I had the one I hunt with now Ruger 7mm mag I would have felt comfortable taking that shot. But to the point I still can see that big white rack going up that hill ! I did see him again but no shot presented itself but I did take the pretty decent 8 point he just finished whopping . That 8 point took me 3 1/2 hours dragging him out , I can only imagine if I had of shot that other buck because he was a legitimate 200 pounder if I've ever seen one . May of been one of those times God knew I didn't need to kill that giant because I was by myself and it would have probably killed me trying to get him out . Killed a 11 point once and my friend and I tried to drag him without gutting him nope he was close to a 200 pounder so I just whipped him over and gutted him . Still hard you just don't drag those kind like the normal 125 - 140 dressed bucks !! One thing is though Steve your buck still roams the woods !

MUP

If anyone has hunted long enough and has hunted wooded terrain it has happened to them . Only thing is you'll probably still remember that one buck as long as you live . Had that happen in Giles Co. one year seen the biggest buck I've ever seen in the wild. He was within about 75 yards but the tree beside the one I was in just had too many limbs for a clean shot . I was hunting with ole trusty Marlin 45-70 at the time and if I had the one I hunt with now Ruger 7mm mag I would have felt comfortable taking that shot. But to the point I still can see that big white rack going up that hill ! I did see him again but no shot presented itself but I did take the pretty decent 8 point he just finished whopping . That 8 point took me 3 1/2 hours dragging him out , I can only imagine if I had of shot that other buck because he was a legitimate 200 pounder if I've ever seen one . May of been one of those times God knew I didn't need to kill that giant because I was by myself and it would have probably killed me trying to get him out . Killed a 11 point once and my friend and I tried to drag him without gutting him nope he was close to a 200 pounder so I just whipped him over and gutted him . Still hard you just don't drag those kind like the normal 125 - 140 dressed bucks !! One thing is though Steve your buck still roams the woods !
You know what I'm talking about for sure! That buck will likely fall to a spotlighter, if not one of the other hunters around me tho.

fairchaser

Mup, it's best to take a sure shot than to wound a buck especially a giant buck. That would haunt you for decades. Yes, you have to take the first best shot. Also a little tip. I stick a trigger stick in my boot for those tight shots. Plus, it holds the weight of your rifle. No fatigue. I can't make a 100 yd shot through the woods free hand. I need a rest.
Best of luck seeing that buck again.

backyardtndeer

Mup, it's best to take a sure shot than to wound a buck especially a giant buck. That would haunt you for decades. Yes, you have to take the first best shot. Also a little tip. I stick a trigger stick in my boot for those tight shots. Plus, it holds the weight of your rifle. No fatigue. I can't make a 100 yd shot through the woods free hand. I need a rest.
I use a shooting stick in most my commercial stands that have rails. The rails just aren't high enough for me to hold, so instead I set the stick into the grate at the bottom and hold my free hand against the stick pressing it tight to the rail.

I will have to remember fairchaser's tip and carry a shooting stick with me to my other ladder stands that don't have rails and see if I can get away with using my boot like he mentioned.

MUP

As much sense of regret you feel for not pulling the trigger the once chance you had, you would feel much more regret had you pulled the trigger on a wing and a prayer and blew off a leg, or worse, jaw.
That would have been entirely possible as he was angling almost straight down the hill at a slight angle to the right, a little off of hitting one of those trees and having it glance off could have been a disaster. šŸ‘

MUP

I usually lean on the side of the tree I'm in, but I had held the rifle up on the tree, off the tree, moving and adjusting trying to stay on him that I was fatigued to say the least when that shot presented itself, might have been a little buck fever mixed in as well! šŸ˜¬

MUP

I use a shooting stick in most my commercial stands that have rails. The rails just aren't high enough for me to hold, so instead I set the stick into the grate at the bottom and hold my free hand against the stick pressing it tight to the rail.

I will have to remember fairchaser's tip and carry a shooting stick with me to my other ladder stands that don't have rails and see if I can get away with using my boot like he mentioned.
That just gave me an idea. I don't have rails on my loc on stands, but knowing the general angle of ascent I have to hold for shots up on that ridge, I may put a screw in step on either side of the tree for taking a rest from. šŸ‘

backyardtndeer

That just gave me an idea. I don't have rails on my loc on stands, but knowing the general angle of ascent I have to hold for shots up on that ridge, I may put a screw in step on either side of the tree for taking a rest from. šŸ‘
Some will probably laugh, but way back in the past I recall seeing someone use a tree step above them with a simple loop of rope. They used the rope around the stock to help steady their gun. I have a couple hang on stands in the garage that I haven't hung on a tree in years.

I have killed a lot of deer from the stand I hunted this morning. It is just a home made steel 12 ft ladder with no rest at all. I have couple of them, and I have bow hangers above at least one of them. Never had an issue holding steady from those stands, but if I can use a shooting stick there it couldn't hurt.

MUP

Some will probably laugh, but way back in the past I recall seeing someone use a tree step above them with a simple loop of rope. They used the rope around the stock to help steady their gun. I have a couple hang on stands in the garage that I haven't hung on a tree in years.

I have killed a lot of deer from the stand I hunted this morning. It is just a home made steel 12 ft ladder with no rest at all. I have couple of them, and I have bow hangers above at least one of them. Never had an issue holding steady from those stands, but if I can use a shooting stick there it couldn't hurt.
Another good idea!!

Latest posts