The beginnings of a bamboo fly rod

woodyard

EA2C8CC9-68CB-4BEE-BF3F-A495754AE79A.jpeg68834F1E-931F-44A2-A373-6CA1837AE1AA.jpeg

Finally finished after 4 coats of polyurethane and sanding with the two rods. Still got to finish up the other tip blank. Probably get it in the next couple of days. Not as I would like them to be, but not bad for not doing any of it in 16 years or so. Had to get warmed up.

This is the process for rods made by hand. The guys that do them for money can usually turn out one in 40 hours, those that use machines such as bevelers, etc, maybe quicker.

Then I will be ready for a trip to try them out on a trout and give ruger one of them. See what he thinks of bamboo! Lol

woodyard

Oh by the way I was just throwing out a rabbit trail with"one for my granddaughter ". I wanted to get warmed up before I start her one. May give her that booboo rod to start with and she can learn
to cast it one day. She has a little while since she is less than a year old now. Lol

cbhunter

Very cool. So it has two top pieces of the rod? This was probably mentioned somewhere back in the thread but I forgot if so. I assume maybe two diff weights to choose from? I'm no fly rod fisherman although i did try it as a very young boy and enjoyed it greatly

woodyard

Very cool. So it has two top pieces of the rod? This was probably mentioned somewhere back in the thread but I forgot if so. I assume maybe two diff weights to choose from? I'm no fly rod fisherman although i did try it as a very young boy and enjoyed it greatly
Two tip sections usually made as identical as you can for you to be able to still fish when that day comes and you break one.

Latest posts