Team Allegiance Poll

Why are you loyal to the team you pull for?

• 1. It's your Alma Mater.

Votes: 11 17.7%
  • 2. You live in the state and thus pull for a team from your home state.

Votes: 39 62.9%
  • 3. Your family has always pulled for them.

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • 4. You like their colors.

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • 5. You have no idea, you just like football.

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters

Crow Terminator

I've gone against the grain my whole life. It's easy to "when it Rome" be like everybody else. The majority in Tennessee are Tennessee fans...no surprise; but that's too easy of an environment to be a fan in. I never even watched or cared for sports...was too busy doing my own activities. I never care much for watching TV..was always on the go outside doing stuff. It wasn't until my nemesis at work started dissing me "for being less of a man" because I didn't watch football that I even paid attention to what I could do to get under his skin. He is a diehard Auburn fan and what team do Auburn fans hate the most? Yep. I started wearing that Crimson red and script A to spite him and became the image of what he hates most in life. Then I started watching highlights, then that led to watching full games, and then to going to them. But all that said...if they were to end college sports tomorrow, life would go on as normal for me. I'm not that obsessed with it, and it's not that big of a part of my life.

moondawg

I'm more a fan of the game than any particular team. I didn't grow up following college football, so I don't have that deep rooted tradition of cheering on the Vols like most do on here. I do favor SEC teams, though. I follow TN since I live in TN. But I also follow Arkansas because it's just across the river from me and I do most of my fishing/camping there...and it helps to be able to talk Razorback football with the locals. Plus, I like the color red. 😁

clwg97

2-Step Enabled
My mom, grandpa, and grandpa all went to KU, We lived in Lawrence until I was 10, K-hawk was one of my first words. I am a born and bread Jawhawk. They just didn't have the type of engineering I wanted to do or else I would have gone there for college. I was a senior in high school in 2008 when Kansas won the NCAA basketball championship over Memphis. We skipped school the next day to drive (7 hours) to Lawrence and watch the team bring home the trophy. The last few years it has been hard to watch KU football but I watch it every time I can and its on TV. My parents have a piece of the goalpost when it was carried out after we beat Texas and Charlie Strong got fired.

moondawg

I've gone against the grain my whole life. It's easy to "when it Rome" be like everybody else. The majority in Tennessee are Tennessee fans...no surprise; but that's too easy of an environment to be a fan in. I never even watched or cared for sports...was too busy doing my own activities. I never care much for watching TV..was always on the go outside doing stuff. It wasn't until my nemesis at work started dissing me "for being less of a man" because I didn't watch football that I even paid attention to what I could do to get under his skin. He is a diehard Auburn fan and what team do Auburn fans hate the most? Yep. I started wearing that Crimson red and script A to spite him and became the image of what he hates most in life. Then I started watching highlights, then that led to watching full games, and then to going to them. But all that said...if they were to end college sports tomorrow, life would go on as normal for me. I'm not that obsessed with it, and it's not that big of a part of my life.
That sounds like something I'd do!

cbhunter

My granddad attended UT and my family have pulled for them since then. I attended UT Martin but still a Vol fan.
Vols annd fans are raising a bunch of money to help out one of the UTMartin football players, whose family lost everything to hurricane Ian. Yesterday the guy had like $3500 in the go fund me account. Word spread on volnation and it was up over 50k today. Thought that was pretty awesome

CBU93

My dad grew up a TN fan. He was offered a basketball scholarship by UT his senior year. They rescinded the offer to give another player…plus he had a high school beef with Johnny Majors.

Was raised to hate UT and being raised in Memphis, lifelong Tiger basketball fan. Since they sucked following Calipari's departure and football made gains with Tommy West…started following the home team.

Gravey

Growing up my dad liked UT and Alabama but not a die hard of either. He was recruited by bama but blew his knee out his junior year so that ended that. Whenever those 2 played each other he was for whoever had the most at stake and still is. Not sure why but I gravitated to the Vols and used to tell him I'm glad he blew his knee out or I could be a bama fan today! 🤣

Bamamonts

It was put on my birth certificate who I was going to pull for. I was named after Coach Bear Bryant.
I followed Alabama football since I was a kid. Going to games and learning about their tradition. It was also fun to pull for a different team than everyone else around me.
Roll Tide!

deerdills

It was put on my birth certificate who I was going to pull for. I was named after Coach Bear Bryant.
I followed Alabama football since I was a kid. Going to games and learning about their tradition. It was also fun to pull for a different team than everyone else around me.
Roll Tide!
Sounds like it's a "family tradition"

cbhunter

I named my wife's chihuahua Major last year after she refused Neyland (lsu fan)

I waited a month or so afterwards before I told her the relation to the Vols! Here he is yesterday. Her response to collar was "not happening". The darn thing was too big so now I must order a new one 😎

Attachments

• F282E0F3-2C61-432E-BA44-00286D4E9343.jpeg
    F282E0F3-2C61-432E-BA44-00286D4E9343.jpeg
    248.4 KB · Views: 34

TNTreeman

I named my wife's chihuahua Major last year after she refused Neyland (lsu fan)

I waited a month or so afterwards before I told her the relation to the Vols! Here he is yesterday. Her response to collar was "not happening". The darn thing was too big so now I must order a new one 😎
We were going to name my fourth child Major if it would have been a boy, but she was a girl.

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
I'm somewhat similar…

Moved to Knoxville from south GA when I was about 6 or 7. I was born in Atl and was raised in Braves baseball. Football wasn't a thing in my family or circle of friends. I heard about UGA and GT, but it was more of a secondary thing.

Moved to Knoxville and the UT fans were SO obnoxious. Told me and my family that we were Tennesseeans now and thus had to be UT football fans. We explained that we didn't even care about football, but we're told that didn't matter. It truly was more than a religion to many of them. My dad and I just told them that we would just pull for whoever UT was playing then.

Fast forward several years… moved out of the state to TX, then SC, then back to TN. Not in Knoxville, but many of the fans were just as obnoxious. I was now in my early teens and started taking a liking to football, but I still couldn't stand UT. Started pulling for the Gators for a couple of seasons since that was UT's biggest rival, but couldn't stand the cocky punk Steve Spurrier. About that time UGA was hiring Mark Richt, a man who I really admired. I said you know what, I have ties to GA, I respect Richt and what he stands for, and they are not UT… a Dawgs fan was then born and I've followed them ever since.

RobbyW

I was raised an AF brat of an AF brat. My family really does not have any roots. 4 generations Military of moving all over the world. I got into football when we lived in Germany. Some reason Armed Forces Network played a lot of Redskin games in the 80s, so I became a Redskins fan. Moved to Arkansas in the 5th grade so picked up the Razorbacks there. Living in NE Arkansas also let me pick up Cardinal Baseball on the radio, so became a Cardinal fan. Started following Hockey when it came to Nashville so I follow the Preds and Titans now some too.

I guess I am a sports mutt

Last edited:

Latest posts