Tallest corn stalks I’ve ever seen….

GOHUNT

Just for kicks, I saved last years ears of decorative Indian corn and planted some this year. Most of the ears are pretty small/underdeveloped but the stalks are the tallest corn I've ever raised. This is my 4 year old granddaughter standing next to it for scale. I'm 6'2" and I had to reach up with one hand and bend the stalk over on a few of them to reach the ears. I'd bet some of these are pushing 14 feet!

Attachments

• IMG_9090.jpeg
    IMG_9090.jpeg
    202.5 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_9091.jpeg
    IMG_9091.jpeg
    488.4 KB · Views: 113

mike243

Was at a customer's house in McMinn county 2 years ago and the famers wife said some of their corn was 15' tall, was looking at it on the drive in and it only makes 2 ears per stalk, was very surprised and decided that was the reason it was planted so close together. Not a farmer but remembering gardening growing up we had 4-5 ears per stalk, most of that was probably getting made into ethanol over in Loudon county.

MickThompson

Was at a customer's house in McMinn county 2 years ago and the famers wife said some of their corn was 15' tall, was looking at it on the drive in and it only makes 2 ears per stalk, was very surprised and decided that was the reason it was planted so close together. Not a farmer but remembering gardening growing up we had 4-5 ears per stalk, most of that was probably getting made into ethanol over in Loudon county.
Sometimes my sweet corn tries to throw extra ears but I'll prune it back to 2/stalk. Any more than that and they all end up stunted

DaveB

Amazing.

NOW I know what my Dad meant when he said

"knee-high to a tall Indian"

Never could figure out why would an Indian be tall?

I thought the plan was to grow short stalks with 4 10 inch ears? planted in alignment with prevailing winds during fertilization month?

Latest posts