Taking a spectator waterfowl hunting

krazykarl_13

2-Step Enabled
Quick question. I am wanting to take my girlfriend duck hunting and did not know if she was legal to go and watch without a license as long as she did not participate. I have seen where it is alright for deer hunting but did not know on waterfowl. Thanks!

rem270

scn what about her or another spectator on a place where a permit is required? For instance Reelfoot Lake. You're required to have a Reelfoot Lake permit. Would someone need that permit just to be on the lake but not hunting?

scn

rem270 said:
scn what about her or another spectator on a place where a permit is required? For instance Reelfoot Lake. You're required to have a Reelfoot Lake permit. Would someone need that permit just to be on the lake but not hunting?

If she is on Reelfoot Lake, she will need the Reelfoot Preservation permit. She will not need a WMA waterfowl permit if she is not hunting.

Thanks for reminding us about Reelfoot. It is a different deal in a lot of ways.

BigD_625

SCN, could you provide me a TCA code that references spectators. I couldn't find anything in the guide. My daughter, niece, and nephews are taking the hunter's safety course, and the GW told them he would write a ticket to a spectator (adult without a license), because he couldn't determine whether they were participating or not.

My interpretation of what is above would be that I could take a spectator (again, adult without a license) as long as I was in possession of the only weapon. Is that correct?

Thanks.

scn

There is not a section in the code dealing with spectators. It is covered by the interpretation of hunting.

Possession of the weapon is only part of the issue. The spectator may not participate in the hunt in any way if they don't have a license.

Please send me a pm with the officer's name so we can make sure he/she is properly informed.

BigD_625

scn said:
There is not a section in the code dealing with spectators. It is covered by the interpretation of hunting.

Possession of the weapon is only part of the issue. The spectator may not participate in the hunt in any way if they don't have a license.

Please send me a pm with the officer's name so we can make sure he/she is properly informed.

Thanks for the reply. I'll ask the instructors tonight for the officer's name and PM it to you. My wife took them last night, because I had to work.