SW 340 vs M&P 340 or SW 640..which do you have or rec for EDC

DaveTN

The 340 is no longer made, it been replaced by the M&P 340, they are basically the same thing. The added weight of a steel or stainless gun makes all the difference in the world in these little J-frames. But then generally, they aren't range or target guns, they are belly guns.

Scandium is marketing for S&W. It's Aluminum with Scandium added. I wouldn't want to pay the premium they are charging for it. It makes the fame a little tougher, but brings the weight down, that's something I wouldn't want, and still not as tough as steel or Stainless steel.

The hammer is personal preference; so the gun is offered either way. The way I carry a J-frame the hammer isn't going to catch on anything, and I may want to kock the gun for an aimed single action shot. But that is my personal preference and why they offer it either way. (Spelling kock the correct way gets it kicked out. 😂)

I have a steel Model 36 I've carried for over 40 years when carrying a small revolver. I had an aluminum hammerless J-frame, for awhile but sold it. It was too light to comfortably shoot at the range, and I want a hammer.

Of those you listed above I would pick the 640 for its weight. But I'd want a hammer, which would make it a Model 60 in stainless .357Mag or a Model 36 in steel .38Spec.

Grab a gun has several of the .38 J-frames in stock in various configurations. Finding anything new in .357 Mag might be harder.

Good luck in your search. If you are like many of us revolver shooters; you will go through many of them. I don't carry one much anymore, but the larger (K-L) frames are my favorite range/target guns.

FLTENNHUNTER1

I have the 340pd and love it. I don't carry it daily, gave it to my wife and she loves it.

357 mag rounds in a 11 oz. gun defines a new level of pain. +P's are the way to go. Muzzle blast is impressive...talk about unburned powder leaving the barrel!!

Speedwell-Hunter

The 340 is no longer made, it been replaced by the M&P 340, they are basically the same thing. The added weight of a steel or stainless gun makes all the difference in the world in these little J-frames. But then generally, they aren't range or target guns, they are belly guns.

Scandium is marketing for S&W. It's Aluminum with Scandium added. I wouldn't want to pay the premium they are charging for it. It makes the fame a little tougher, but brings the weight down, that's something I wouldn't want, and still not as tough as steel or Stainless steel.

The hammer is personal preference; so the gun is offered either way. The way I carry a J-frame the hammer isn't going to catch on anything, and I may want to kock the gun for an aimed single action shot. But that is my personal preference and why they offer it either way. (Spelling kock the correct way gets it kicked out. 😂)

I have a steel Model 36 I've carried for over 40 years when carrying a small revolver. I had an aluminum hammerless J-frame, for awhile but sold it. It was too light to comfortably shoot at the range, and I want a hammer.

Of those you listed above I would pick the 640 for its weight. But I'd want a hammer, which would make it a Model 60 in stainless .357Mag or a Model 36 in steel .38Spec.

Grab a gun has several of the .38 J-frames in stock in various configurations. Finding anything new in .357 Mag might be harder.

Good luck in your search. If you are like many of us revolver shooters; you will go through many of them. I don't carry one much anymore, but the larger (K-L) frames are my favorite range/target guns.
thanks for the in depth commentary and opinions, this helps a ton, I will not be getting the light weight one, too $ for too much pain!

Chief44

I had a M&P 340 that I didn't want to sell but priced it to a buddy pretty high to shut him up. Dang if he didn't pull out the cash and buy it. Great little revolver but a lot more controllable and less muzzle blast with 38 +p vs 357. If you want hammerless, it's hard to beat a S&W 442 or 642 in 38. I have a couple of those and love them. Also, for ammo check out underwood's 38 +p offerings. I'm partial to their 158 gr +p SWCHP rated at 1160 fps. Shoots great in my j frames.

Latest posts