Hunting with 9mm or .40S&W

KPGman710

Surfing the web, I noticed Buffalo Bore and Underwood market ammo in the calibers for hunting. Has anyone actually used these for hunting? If so, what is your experience and opinion. Yes, I know there are better options out there. I don't want to buy a pistol I use so infrequently. I'd rather use that money on ammo and such

ROVERBOY

Me heard that 9 mm out of 16" barrel is close to 357 pistol ballistics.

It's probably close to .357 Magnum pistol ballistics. I've heard people for years say that a 9mm is just as powerful as a .357 Magnum. Not when comparing it in handguns. But, a 9, like you said, would probably come close in a carbine. I've got a Hi-Point 995 1st Gen. that shoots and runs pretty good.

ROVERBOY

I've never used a 9mm or .40 on deer but, have killed 2 with .357 6" gun. I've heard people for years say that you need to pick your ammo very carefully in a .357. I would imagine a 9mm would be even more careful than that.

agelessssone

When I hunted a different state years ago, I killed 3 deer with 9mm's.
One at 40 yds, one at 30 yds and one at 20 yds. Yes, two of them ran, due to a double lung shot, about 50 yds.
The 30 yd shot was in the front neck that dropped like a rock.
It's all about shot placement.
And I have never shot at a deer with a pistol that I didn't kill.
My first buck kill ever was with a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 mag.

ROVERBOY

When I hunted a different state years ago, I killed 3 deer with 9mm's.
One at 40 yds, one at 30 yds and one at 20 yds. Yes, two of them ran, due to a double lung shot, about 50 yds.
The 30 yd shot was in the front neck that dropped like a rock.
It's all about shot placement.
And I have never shot at a deer with a pistol that I didn't kill.
My first buck kill ever was with a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 mag.

What ammo did you use in your 9mm for the deer hunt? I killed the 2 deer with my .357 with 158 gr. cast semi wadcutters., and 15.0 gr. 2400 and CCI 550 primers. 158 gr. JHP would've probably been better.

agelessssone

What ammo did you use in your 9mm for the deer hunt? I killed the 2 deer with my .357 with 158 gr. cast semi wadcutters., and 15.0 gr. 2400 and CCI 550 primers. 158 gr. JHP would've probably been better.
I just use the standard EDC ammo, 115 gr jacketed Hollow point. It's what I carry in all my pistols. It shoots straight, never had a failure to feed or fire.
Two seasons ago I was carrying in a set of climbing sticks when a doe stood up, broadside, 40 yds away.
I had just got my CZ PO 7 and had sighted it in at a local range. 14 rounds in a 2" dot at 8 yds (range max).
So I pulled, aimed center rib cage, fired. She bucked and ran off. I went ahead and set up my climbing sticks and tree stand.
I went back to where she had stood, saw a trail, followed it, had blood within 10 yds and a piled up doe, 50 yds from where I shot her.

Latest posts