P365 Manual Safety or Precautions for Toddlers

Coltens

I am going to buying a Sig p365 for my edc soon. My hesitancy is should I get one with a manual safety or no? When I am home, it usually rests in my nightstand drawer and I now have a toddler who is into everything. What do ya'll recommend for the situation?

Coltens

I don't have a safety on mine. My suggestion is keeping it put up out of reach to a toddler. Lock it up if you have to. But I don't think a nightstand is the best place to keep your home defense weapon.
I agree. I am trying to get some more ideas because I realize this doesn't work. Where do you keep yours?

DaveTN

When I had small children in the house I had a loaded revolver in the top of my closet, all I had to do was get out of bed and it was right there. They could not get to it or reach it. When I left the house, it either went with me or it was unloaded. I don't have kids in the house now, and although I have many semi-auto handguns a revolver is still my main bedside gun.

If, God forbid, a small child gets access to a loaded gun, there is far less chances they could pull the trigger on a revolver.

A semi-auto with the slide locked back and the magazine by it, can be loaded very fast.

I would never trust a safety. I had a safety fail on a brand new 1911.

As they get bigger and more inquisitive you need to take more precautions.

DaveTN

Be careful with mechanical or electronic devices.

A few months ago I was at my daughters house. She's a gun nut and a heck of a shot. She had the new Shield plus and was going to show it to me. She pulled the gun safe off the top of the refrigerator. It was one of those safes that reads your fingerprints to open. It wouldn't open. Finally, after about a minute it opened. I thought she was going to vapor lock she was so mad. Had she needed it, it may not have been in time. She said she had it for a long time and that's the first time that happened.

MickThompson

To the above advice, I'd add to never hide or retrieve your gun with the door open or the kid(s) in the room. Kids are sneaky and they'll eventually see you hide it even if you think you're being careful. If they don't know something is stashed on a shelf, etc they have no reason to be curious about what's hidden there.

I'd also consider storing it on an empty chamber as it would take considerable hand strength to rack the slide- much more than what's required to disengage a safety. It might not stop them from finding it but it would certainly buy you some time to find them with it before they could render it ready to fire.

scn

I am going to buying a Sig p365 for my edc soon. My hesitancy is should I get one with a manual safety or no? When I am home, it usually rests in my nightstand drawer and I now have a toddler who is into everything. What do ya'll recommend for the situation?
Take it out of your nightstand drawer. Now! It is way too much of a danger to your child unsecured in a drawer that they can reach.

I carried a pistol 5+ days a week for almost 40 years. When I got home, it came out of the holster and was put on the top shelf of my closet for many years. I then invested in one of the Stackon gun safes that went to that spot in the closet. Mine uses a simple four digit code. After doing it a while, it was second nature.

I have been beyond blessed to live in places where a home invasion, while certainly not impossible, was very unlikely. There was more danger to my family from an unsecured firearm than outside threats. That may not be the case for you.

If the safe deal for you is too constricting, then up high and in a security holster that takes a little knowledge and doing to get the gun out may be an option.

FLTENNHUNTER1

I would still get a manual safety on your 365. Not for protection for your toddler, but protection for you. I've trained for years with Browning HP's and 1911's in the cocked and locked position. It is second nature for me to flip the safety and the end of my draw.

To add to my post above, when I have young children in my house, my sidearm comes off my person before I go to sleep, and is stored high in a closet. I have an 870 next to my bed without one in the chamber when little ones are around.

Spurhunter

Exactly. I have the 365x and wife does also. Bought both with safety's because she didn't like her Glock without one. I just flick mine off and leave it and she likes hers on.
I'm not familiar with the 365x. I do carry a P238 a lot. I couldn't imagine carrying it around with the hammer back and the safety off. I'm assuming your hammer is down in a halfcock type position where it wouldn't fire if it was dropped?

DaveTN

I'm not familiar with the 365x. I do carry a P238 a lot. I couldn't imagine carrying it around with the hammer back and the safety off. I'm assuming your hammer is down in a halfcock type position where it wouldn't fire if it was dropped?
The 365 is striker fired, it doesn't have a hammer. Striker fired guns have a firing pin safety, some have a drop safety. I don't know if a striker fired gun has ever fired because of being dropped, it's a mechanical device so I assume it may have happened at some time. You will find there is a lot of controversy over that. You will also find that most striker fired guns that fired in drops, fired because the person hit the trigger when trying to grab a falling gun. The gun will fire if that happens.

Spurhunter

The 365 is striker fired, it doesn't have a hammer. Striker fired guns have a firing pin safety, some have a drop safety. I don't know if a striker fired gun has ever fired because of being dropped, it's a mechanical device so I assume it may have happened at some time. You will find there is a lot of controversy over that. You will also find that most striker fired guns that fired in drops, fired because the person hit the trigger when trying to grab a falling gun. The gun will fire if that happens.
Thank you VP. That makes sense. All my striker fired guns are Glocks so I didn't realize there were striker fired guns available with external safeties. Personally I don't see the point, but if someone likes a safety and wants a striker fired gun, to each their own.

DaveTN

Thank you VP. That makes sense. All my striker fired guns are Glocks so I didn't realize there were striker fired guns available with external safeties. Personally I don't see the point, but if someone likes a safety and wants a striker fired gun, to each their own.
Exactly, to each their own. I don't need an external safety on my M&P's but if an option, I will pick a magazine disconnect due to my real life experience. That always starts drama on gun forums. 🙃 My Shield has an external safety, it was all they had available when I ordered it. I never use it. But it is really stiff and I have no concerns that it will get engaged accidentally.

Latest posts