Summit vs API vs Olman

Vermin93

I finally had a chance to weigh my Treewalker ProMag. The advertised weight on the Treewalker website is 19 lbs. I can now confirm that Treewalker has exaggerated the weight.

The weight of the foot platform plus the seat plaform without the shooting rail is just over 20 lbs. That is the bare minimum configuration for this treestand. When the shooting rail is added, and it should be included in the advertised weight, the total weight of the treestand goes up to just over 23 lbs.

It seems that Treewalker is just another of many treestand vendors that exaggerates the weight of their products. Whether they knowingly do this with intent to deceive is a question only Treewalker can answer.

I have several of the Ol' Man 20 ft Surefoot stick ladders that I use with my hang on stands. The advertised weight of the ladder is 17 lbs. That is total BS and I'm sure Ol' Man knows it. The stick ladder itself without any of the ratchet straps to hold it up comes in well over 20 lbs. It's false advertising just to boost sales, and I frankly think they ought to be fined for it. Same goes with Treewalker. You don't advertise a treestand as being 19 lbs when the actual item in your product picture weighs over 23 lbs. I still like my Treewalker a lot, but they are full of crap on the weight of the Treewalker ProMag. It's a 20 lb treestand when it's stripped down to the bare minimum configuration. When it's weighed the way it's advertised, it's a 23 lb treestand.

ProMag.jpg

Tennessee Lead

Yep that's the way dad weighed his with the bar attached like it was advertised. he likes the way his stand feels but bummed about the weight. That was the major selling point.

Killing time

I have an Ole Man and a Summit 180. Nothin wrong with the Ole Man, but i prefer the Summit, hands down. Very safe and very comfortable. Get a good nite's sleep or you'll be sawing logs.
But to be honest, ive started hunting out of an Ameristep chair tent blind, the last couple years. I like it better than anything. I know the view is not as good sometimes, but i dont have to worry about falling. My scent stays contained, im shielded from the wind and weather, i can move around without being seen, and if mother nature calls, i just step out. No climbing back down the tree. Love it.

TboneD

feldmutze said:
I've got 2 of the Treewalker ProMags, along with a Summit Viper. This year I ditched the Summit seat/backrest and replaced with the web seat, similar to the Treewalkers....it was a great decision.

The Treewalkers are the best/most comfortable (and made here in Tennnesse, not China), although they absolutely eat up the tree. The pins with clips are tricky regarding noise. What's been other Treewalker owners solution to the noisy pins?

I just replaced my Summit Viper seat with a net seat as well, and let me tell you, that's the best thing I could've done. To add to the comfort and warmth, I've got a foot rest, a stand mat, and light pads for my my butt and back. Even with all that, though, it's much more convenient, lighter, and I feel like I'm in a hunting posture and not just trying to stay awake. The net seat also makes it much easier to pack with a hip belt...

SKFOOTER

You need to check out the Ol' Man Multi-Vision Elite Aluminum Climber made exclusively for Roger's Sporting Goods. Weighs in at only 19 pounds and sells for under $200.

Vermin93

SKFOOTER said:
You need to check out the Ol' Man Multi-Vision Elite Aluminum Climber made exclusively for Roger's Sporting Goods. Weighs in at only 19 pounds and sells for under $200.

Have you weighed it on a scale? Considering how wrong the advertised weight is for the Ol' Man stick ladder, I wouldn't trust any of their advertised weights until I weighed it myself.

BlountArrow

SKFOOTER said:

I had an Ol Man for years. Great stands! But they don't have the fancy cushions or near the TV promotion so I think most overlook them. The net seat is incredibly comfortable and the foot rest is a game changer for long sits. I might actually get one of these. Probably be $150 less than the TreeWalker I want.

SKFOOTER

Vermin93 said:
SKFOOTER said:

Have you weighed it on a scale? Considering how wrong the advertised weight is for the Ol' Man stick ladder, I wouldn't trust any of their advertised weights until I weighed it myself.
As a matter of fact I did weigh it and the advertised weight is spot on.

BlountArrow

SKFOOTER said:

I think I'm sold. I'd sure like some free shipping on this one though. Anybody have a code or anything? Hey, never hurts to ask.

Mike Belt

I like the net seating. It weighs nothing, is quiet, and never holds water. I've mentioned this before but ideally, there needs to be 2 sets of net seats on a stand. When climbing or descending you have to step over the net seat in order to climb in a sitting/standing motion. If you had 2 net seats you only have to do that once when you first climb into the stand on the ground. You eliminate having to do so at whatever height you climb to. Simply slide one of the seats forward and the other the opposite direction and get in between them. Once you're up slide the front seat all the way forward and sit on the rear seat. If you decide you want to face towards the tree slide the rear seat towards the tree, turn around, and sit on the front seat. I don't know why Ol Man hasn't incorporated this system.

That being said I broke out one of my Summit stands for the first time in a couple of years. They really bite into the tree and once up, they are a very comfortable stand. However, they are a pain in the butt. They bite into the tree so well that it takes me twice as long to come down as with my Ol Man. My stomach is sore and feels like I've just done 200 sit ups from all the jerking and pulling trying to get the stand to break free from the tree with every move coming down. Back in the Ol Man now.

TboneD

TboneD said:
feldmutze said:
I've got 2 of the Treewalker ProMags, along with a Summit Viper. This year I ditched the Summit seat/backrest and replaced with the web seat, similar to the Treewalkers....it was a great decision.

The Treewalkers are the best/most comfortable (and made here in Tennnesse, not China), although they absolutely eat up the tree. The pins with clips are tricky regarding noise. What's been other Treewalker owners solution to the noisy pins?

I just replaced my Summit Viper seat with a net seat as well, and let me tell you, that's the best thing I could've done. To add to the comfort and warmth, I've got a foot rest, a stand mat, and light pads for my my butt and back. Even with all that, though, it's much more convenient, lighter, and I feel like I'm in a hunting posture and not just trying to stay awake. The net seat also makes it much easier to pack with a hip belt...

So ok. I used both last week, and while I can have a problem staying awake in the Summit seat, I don't think I'll use the net seat anymore for gun hunting. Hard to beat the Summit seat for comfort, and the Hazmore net seat doesn't support as much of your thighs as an Ole Man seat.

TboneD

Mike Belt said:
I like the net seating. It weighs nothing, is quiet, and never holds water. I've mentioned this before but ideally, there needs to be 2 sets of net seats on a stand. When climbing or descending you have to step over the net seat in order to climb in a sitting/standing motion. If you had 2 net seats you only have to do that once when you first climb into the stand on the ground. You eliminate having to do so at whatever height you climb to. Simply slide one of the seats forward and the other the opposite direction and get in between them. Once you're up slide the front seat all the way forward and sit on the rear seat. If you decide you want to face towards the tree slide the rear seat towards the tree, turn around, and sit on the front seat. I don't know why Ol Man hasn't incorporated this system.

That being said I broke out one of my Summit stands for the first time in a couple of years. They really bite into the tree and once up, they are a very comfortable stand. However, they are a pain in the butt. They bite into the tree so well that it takes me twice as long to come down as with my Ol Man. My stomach is sore and feels like I've just done 200 sit ups from all the jerking and pulling trying to get the stand to break free from the tree with every move coming down. Back in the Ol Man now.

Yesterday morning I had the cables all the way out of my Summit on a big red oak and yes, it was really biting the tree. What I found to help a lot was to pull one leg at a time, as opposed to pulling both sides out with equal pressure.

John Harris

I have a collection of stands - like many of you. Started 30 years ago with the LocOn chain stands at about 8lbs and still have 2 ofthose. But, I do have some Grand Ol'Man (steel) stands as well as a Summit Titan. I can get up and down the trees in my OlMan stands much easier than the Summit. It locks on well enough for my needs. This is my first year with the Summit and its defintely a good stand. I think the OlMan goes on the tree easier and with less noise at least for me. The Titan has much more aggressive bite and that, for me, makes it harder to climb but I am still learning its quirks.

Never a complaint with the OlMan seat. Summit seat is nice but its bulky.

Either the OlMan or Summit works well.

david k.

I have both. I actually have 3 Summit Vipers and one Ol Man Vision.....that should answer the question of which I prefer.

I agree that the Ol Man net seats are nice so two of my Vipers have the Hazemore Net seat and I leave the padded Summit seat on one for when it gets real cold.

Latest posts